Jump to content
Noogman

2019/2020 Hunting Thread

Recommended Posts

Acquaintance of mine had a place down in Freer that they bought pretty much shot out. They high fenced it and brought in a bunch of deer.  Over a decade or so, it became pretty apparent the does they had brought in (off a deer farm) were giving them as much, if not better results than their breeder bucks. There is more than just the buck in the equation.     
 

They did not run their operation legitimately (or legally) and one year, TPW came in and shot everything that moved. Well over a dozen 200” deer and several more in 250” range.  But they were way outside the rules.  They did away with the breeding program (forced to, likely) and brought in a shitload more.   Oilfield millionaires without a care in the world. Place is gone now, completely shot out before it was sold, I’m sure. 

Edited by fattyflattie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Acquaintance of mine had a place down in Freer that they bought pretty much shot out. They high fenced it and brought in a bunch of deer.  Over a decade or so, it became pretty apparent the does they had brought in (off a deer farm) were giving them as much, if not better results than their breeder bucks. There is more than just the buck in the equation.     
 

They did not run their operation legitimately (or legally) and one year, TPW came in and shot everything that moved. Well over a dozen 200” deer and several more in 250” range.  But they were way outside the rules.  They did away with the breeding program (forced to, likely) and brought in a shitload more.   Oilfield millionaires without a care in the world. Place is gone now, completely shot out before it was sold, I’m sure. 

Going to a friend's place in Freer tomorrow morning to hunt this weekend.  They shot all their natives and high fenced (it was already high fenced by neighbors except for the highway border).  They did breeder bucks and bred doe.  They have massive deer.  They are at least wild as they turn them out young.

He needs help shooting culls.  Which are the ones under 180.  I am going mainly to hang out with good friends.  Planning on just shooting pigs with my new Creedmor and a turkey or two (they are covered up with Turkey).  Just cannot get into shooting a breeder buck.  Not my thing.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Meh.  This place was very dense and decent sized. Deer were as wild (acting) as anywhere else I’ve been.  Probably worse, as they had to worry about being shot at any time with those outlaws.  Their long time breeder was a ~215 slick 10.  It was finally shot as a 195” with a broken 2 or 3 (can’t recall).  I doubt it was as wild as the others. 
 

That sounds like an amazing trip, even if you aren’t into the deer, particularly. Culling <180. Man.   The place I was talking didn’t have shit for turkey or hogs.  Just wt, an occasional axis, and shitloads of bobcats.   I really love that area, but man the poaching and just general hunted out atmosphere really brings it down, if you aren’t on a very big, or high fenced place.  Good luck...to your liver. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

Meh.  This place was very dense and decent sized. Deer were as wild (acting) as anywhere else I’ve been.  Probably worse, as they had to worry about being shot at any time with those outlaws.  Their long time breeder was a ~215 slick 10.  It was finally shot as a 195” with a broken 2 or 3 (can’t recall).  I doubt it was as wild as the others. 
 

That sounds like an amazing trip, even if you aren’t into the deer, particularly. Culling <180. Man.   The place I was talking didn’t have shit for turkey or hogs.  Just wt, an occasional axis, and shitloads of bobcats.   I really love that area, but man the poaching and just general hunted out atmosphere really brings it down, if you aren’t on a very big, or high fenced place.  Good luck...to your liver. 

I’ll probably let my ten year old bust a cull.  I’d love for him to get a big 150 inch 8 point.  I just love how those look. 

My buddies place doesn’t have a bunch of crazy ass 30 point types.  They are more typical looking.  Just really big.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

love for him to get a big 150 inch 8 point.

I do too. Elite sized 8’s are really cool.  Hope y’all see some. 

15 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

My buddies place doesn’t have a bunch of crazy ass 30 point types.  They are more typical looking.  Just really big.

That place was mostly the same. Their breeder for years was a slick 10. Then another but with a drop.  Nothing with palmation or anything.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

I do too. Elite sized 8’s are really cool.  Hope y’all see some. 

That place was mostly the same. Their breeder for years was a slick 10. Then another but with a drop.  Nothing with palmation or anything.  

I prefer the typical kinds.  Kind of.  My ideal deer is a ten point frame with mule deer type forked g2s

i passed up a monster one almost 20 years ago.  Thought he needed a year.  He avoided me for years.  Found him dead 4 years later.  He had gone downhill and still went 175.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Johnny Sack said:

I’ll probably let my ten year old bust a cull.  I’d love for him to get a big 150 inch 8 point.  I just love how those look. 

My buddies place doesn’t have a bunch of crazy ass 30 point types.  They are more typical looking.  Just really big.  

Ruined.  Forever.

@ 10yrs old I was happy to punch a jack-rabbit with my single-shot 22lr. or catch a dove slipping with my H&R .410

Sounds like a blast!  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Ruined.  Forever.

@ 10yrs old I was happy to punch a jack-rabbit with my single-shot 22lr. or catch a dove slipping with my H&R .410

Sounds like a blast!  

I apparently can’t rep today, but I was thinking the same thing. Then I remembered they have the ranches and MLD and deer hunt a ton, so the kid will kill ALOT before it’s said and done.  Hell I was 30 yo before I killed a 150.  Good luck to Sack Jr.  I have seen buddies kids who kill a huge buck early then once it doesn’t continue, get frustrated. I doubt that would be the situation here, tho. 
 

Conversating with a vendor yesterday about their place and Los Cazadores came up. I went back to look for my last trip to Muy but they don’t archive back that far :(  Note: do not peruse the Cazadores and Muy sites if you currently don’t have a place to hunt.  There are some beautiful deer coming in this year. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

I apparently can’t rep today, but I was thinking the same thing. Then I remembered they have the ranches and MLD and deer hunt a ton, so the kid will kill ALOT before it’s said and done.  Hell I was 30 yo before I killed a 150.  Good luck to Sack Jr.  I have seen buddies kids who kill a huge buck early then once it doesn’t continue, get frustrated. I doubt that would be the situation here, tho. 
 

Conversating with a vendor yesterday about their place and Los Cazadores came up. I went back to look for my last trip to Muy but they don’t archive back that far :(  Note: do not peruse the Cazadores and Muy sites if you currently don’t have a place to hunt.  There are some beautiful deer coming in this year. 

I’ve killed so many culls in my day.  Pretty much all I do.  The trophies hanging on my wall aren’t that impressive.  I do have a bunch of really nice 8s though.  And i love those.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My companies owners took the day off to go to the company lease in South Texas. Guess who finished his work and got to his ranch in time to hop in a blind.

Now if I can get this stupid bee to leave my whiskey alone I will be set.

Good luck this weekend gents!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Johnny Sack said:

I’ve killed so many culls in my day.  Pretty much all I do.  The trophies hanging on my wall aren’t that impressive.  I do have a bunch of really nice 8s though.  And i love those.  

For me, it's culls or my own Holy Grail -- a drop tine buck.  I have no other interest in horn hunting now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/14/2019 at 12:49 PM, Johnny Sack said:

Just cannot get into shooting a breeder buck.  Not my thing.

 

Totally agree.  When they have a tag or a chip, it's just like shooting a cow in a pasture.  Hunting ought to be different than a feedlot slaughterhouse.  I am not a fan of high fences.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Johnny Sack said:

I took my son out of school as a surprise at 10 am.  Sitting in a stand near Freer.   Life is good fellas.  

Kudos to you. I loved it every time my dad did that. I’ll pass it on to my son when he’s ready.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was out of town last weekend for the duck opener and took kids out the Saturday before that for the youth weekend, so I haven't pulled a trigger on anything yet.
Decided to head to my place last night so I could get in some deer hunting today before some guys come to hunt ducks with me tomorrow.
I knew I had some good horns roaming around but with the rut going on I wasn't sure what might show up.
I get out this morning and choose to sit in the tree stand, rather than the platform blind. Just had a feeling the bucks were going to be closer to the woods over there.
I get all set and 7:30 rolls around, feeder goes off (which I don't know why that always scares the piss out of me even though I know its coming) and still no deer. Now, being that there is not a large deer population here in the Trinity River Bottoms they don't come running to the dinner bell like other places.
Slowly some does hit the food plot and start making their way to the feeder. They were very wary and slide off into the woods where there was a young buck that started chasing them. Well this happened off and on all morning with younger bucks trying to get some.
Then around 10:30 as there were 2 does at the feeder, this buck comes crashing in from the tall grass, grunting twice. I knew he was a mature deer with a good rack but there wasn't going to be anytime to check him out. He has his head down, neck out like a turtle and the does took off so he was about to follow them. Luckily, I had my gun sitting across my lap.
I got him in the cross hairs. He momentarily stopped and I popped him. He hunched over and started running off on 3 legs. I could see I had a fatal shot right behind the shoulder but I didn't want him going far so I put another round into him. He fell in his tracks.
Not the biggest body or width I've taken off my place but he has some characteristics. He is all broken up or he would have had 15 points but instead only has 12.
I checked his teeth, which he had none except the back two molars.
Now, going to stack up some mallards tomorrow morning as I went by the wetlands and about 75 of them lifted off from there. d8e288d74e21b6fa0f5b031a06df3a6f.jpg37c54e4959f5ebd40c1d2f51c9e63c14.jpg9b72d210504e63250f263f4080cba690.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, HOOKEM4 said:

My companies owners took the day off to go to the company lease in South Texas. Guess who finished his work and got to his ranch in time to hop in a blind.

Now if I can get this stupid bee to leave my whiskey alone I will be set.

Good luck this weekend gents!

Drink your whisky, dummy. 

Good luck this weekend.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

33 degrees, no clouds, stars and moon out, sun rising and in #9.  Coffee in hand, .270 at the ready, poop already out.   

Enjoy your hunts this weekend, lads. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, DalTxHornFan said:

Totally agree.  When they have a tag or a chip, it's just like shooting a cow in a pasture.  Hunting ought to be different than a feedlot slaughterhouse.  I am not a fan of high fences.

The chase is the same high fenced or low fenced so long as the place is big enough.  High fences just stop the neighbor with 30 acres from putting out 8 stands and feeders and shooting everything that’s brown.  People like that really hate high fences.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So we keep heaters and butane in all our blinds at my place.  So I don’t have one at the house.  I go to academy when they open yesterday to pick one up.  Open it up this morning and all that’s in it is the stand.  Not the heater.  Damnit.  Cold blind this morning.  I have gotten used to the heaters.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Johnny Sack said:

The chase is the same high fenced or low fenced so long as the place is big enough.  High fences just stop the neighbor with 30 acres from putting out 8 stands and feeders and shooting everything that’s brown.  People like that really hate high fences.  

I have a friend (that posts here) with some family land up in Limestone county. They do the best they can to manage and shoot deer of age.  Their neighbors, lol.  As of last week, a neighbor with a postage stamp they talked to has taken 5 deer between 3 hunters.   A deer for every few acres. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Johnny Sack said:

The chase is the same high fenced or low fenced so long as the place is big enough.  High fences just stop the neighbor with 30 acres from putting out 8 stands and feeders and shooting everything that’s brown.  People like that really hate high fences.  

Your point is well-taken.  There are so many 200-300 acre (or less) high-fenced places in Central Texas and the hill country.  That's what I'm not crazy about.  High fencing totally makes sense as a defensive strategy on big ranches.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

Looking off a place to bag some meat in December. 3 guns. Any good leads ?

Sounds gay. NTTWM

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've turned my feeders off until the acorns finally stop dropping. we are still covered up in Irion and Menard Co. Maybe turn them back on after thanksgiving. Corn and pellets just litter the ground. 

the matures still are localized and haven't begun to cover big distance for that snatch. Young dudes are harassing anything that moves. I watched a 2.5 yr old buck run a button buck for several hours Friday morning. I assume once the acorns finally sour or run out the mature bucks will really begin to move all over..

 

Deer are fat as heck right now, 4.5 yr olds look like 6 yr old deer. By mid December the matures will start to slim up considerably and will make it difficult to judge age on hoof.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




Football ... Basketball ... Baseball ... Other Sports ... Recruiting ... Gambling ... Movies & TV ... Music ... Hobbies ... Lulz ... Food & Travel ... Daily Texan ... Help ... For Sale ... Politics ... Board Discussion
×
×
  • Create New...