Recommendations in London & Paris?

Vaporware

Have some free time on a business trip and looking for things to do/see.

Saturday noon through Sunday in London. Also have 24 hours (noon to noon) the following week between Cork and flight home.

I’ve been to Tower of London, British Museum, Piccadilly, and Victoria & Albert around 10 years ago. Paddington, underground, etc, too.

The following Thursday afternoon and Saturday in Paris. I’ve never been.

Eiffel Tower Thursday afternoon/evening. Is the Louvre worth the line? Orsay? Am I really going to be pickpocketed?

Have Tuesday afternoon/evening in Gothenburg, too. Volvo museum?

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't know where you're staying in Paris, but Saturday morning wake up early and walk outside your hotel. Find a bakery. Get a good cup of coffee and a chocolate éclair.

If you only have one day free and it's a Saturday I don't know that I'd mess with  the Louvre. If the weather is nice just wander the city, it's amazing. The best days I have ever had in Paris had absolutely no plan or agenda. Other than the éclair in the morning. That is a must, every morning. So good.

• Like 2

That is pretty good advice on Paris.  

Are you into history?  The Churchill War rooms in London are pretty fascinating, and there is a Churchill museum at the end.  I killed about 3-4 hours there, and realistically I could have spent more except that my back started to hurt.

You could go catch a show in West End one night.

See if you can find football...er, soccer...tickets to one of the local clubs.It doesn't have to be one of the big ones like Arsenal or Chelsea.  You'll have a good time.  Fulham has a nice little stadium.  As does Crystal Palace.

I enjoyed running through Hyde Park.

I also enjoyed riding around town on the top of a tour bus.

I also stopped in a LOT of random pubs.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I have to tell you--you're not giving us a lot to go on.  Saying "tell me what to do with a couple days in two of the most diverse cities in the world" is pretty impossible if we don't know your interests.  Do you like art?  Are you a history buff?  If you're a history guy, what era?  I'm not going to send you to the Churchill War Rooms if you're primarily interested in Medieval history.  Or are you more of an outdoor/stroll through a park type of guy?

I have to tell you--you're not giving us a lot to go on.  Saying "tell me what to do with a couple days in two of the most diverse cities in the world" is pretty impossible if we don't know your interests.  Do you like art?  Are you a history buff?  If you're a history guy, what era?  I'm not going to send you to the Churchill War Rooms if you're primarily interested in Medieval history.  Or are you more of an outdoor/stroll through a park type of guy?

Fair.

Churchill sounds cool. WW2 history. Football may also be interesting. Just walking around a park not so much but will run in Hyde Park at least one morning. Pub recommendations always welcome. Impressionists for art.

Architecture. Have seen all of the Egyptian collection in London and the Victoria and Albert museum.

Don't know where you're staying in Paris, but Saturday morning wake up early and walk outside your hotel. Find a bakery. Get a good cup of coffee and a chocolate éclair.
If you only have one day free and it's a Saturday I don't know that I'd mess with  the Louvre. If the weather is nice just wander the city, it's amazing. The best days I have ever had in Paris had absolutely no plan or agenda. Other than the éclair in the morning. That is a must, every morning. So good.

Near the Opera. I wonder if 2-3 hours Friday night would be worth it at the Louvre (open until 10). Saturday crowd is probably enough reason to stay away.

Just remember the Louvre is fucking enormous. If you're just looking to fart around and maybe have a couple of drinks somewhere nearby and then easily get over to the Louvre and be able to say you saw the Mona Lisa, that's cool. There are certainly worse ways to kill a couple of hours.

Regarding the Eiffel Tower, this is just a personal opinion but you can see it from all over the place...I don't think there's much of a need to go spend an entire afternoon or evening over there unless you've got a GF who is gonna get all romantic and will climb the top of your tower if you go to the top of the Eiffel tower. Personally I think it's way more bad ass to walk along the Seine and see it off in the distance, illuminated at night. Over right by the Eiffel Tower is where Parisians really get their rep for being assholes, because they have to deal with shitbag tourists all the time.  I actually found most people in the bakeries, etc. to be quite friendly if you give even the most basic attempt to say bonjour, merci, etc.

• Like 1

Where are you staying in London?

Paris I think is somewhat easier.

Thursday in the afternoon, you can go over to d'Orsay and knock it out in a couple hours.  After that, you can walk down the bank of the Seine and you'll come to the Esplanade des Invalides--a big park fronting Invalides.  At the back of that building is Napoleon's tomb, which is definitely worth a visit.  Buried with him are a number of Marshals of France, including Ferdinand Foch.

For dinner, I still love Laurent.  The building was Louis XIV's hunting lodge It's a couple blocks from Elysee Palace, so you often see French politicos there--ten years ago, I freaked out when Dominique de Villepin was at the next table; Mrs.LL was unimpressed.  Anyway--the food is outstanding, and at 159E per head, not crazy overpriced, considering its location.

Thursday night wind up in the Bar Hemingway at the Hotel Ritz.  As the name would indicate, it was one of Hemingway's favorite bars before the War.  During the War, the hotel served as the headquarters of the Luftwaffe in France, and Goering liked to drink there.  As it happened, Hemingway was embedded as a war correspondent with an American unit approaching Paris in 1944.  He took it on himself to rally his unit and liberate the Ritz (and drink all of the liquor left behind by the Nazis).  The bar is expensive, and there's a dress code.  But it's still worth it for at least one cocktail.

Saturday may be a good day to just head over to Marais and find a bistro, sit outside, and watch people.  Alternatively, if you want to do stuff, then go check out Notre Dame and Sainte Chappelle in the morning, and then take the Metro down to the Catacombs.  That is a wonderfully morbid sight.

• Like 1

Where are you staying in London?
Paris I think is somewhat easier.
Thursday in the afternoon, you can go over to d'Orsay and knock it out in a couple hours.  After that, you can walk down the bank of the Seine and you'll come to the Esplanade des Invalides--a big park fronting Invalides.  At the back of that building is Napoleon's tomb, which is definitely worth a visit.  Buried with him are a number of Marshals of France, including Ferdinand Foch.
For dinner, I still love Laurent.  The building was Louis XIV's hunting lodge It's a couple blocks from Elysee Palace, so you often see French politicos there--ten years ago, I freaked out when Dominique de Villepin was at the next table; Mrs.LL was unimpressed.  Anyway--the food is outstanding, and at 159E per head, not crazy overpriced, considering its location.
Thursday night wind up in the Bar Hemingway at the Hotel Ritz.  As the name would indicate, it was one of Hemingway's favorite bars before the War.  During the War, the hotel served as the headquarters of the Luftwaffe in France, and Goering liked to drink there.  As it happened, Hemingway was embedded as a war correspondent with an American unit approaching Paris in 1944.  He took it on himself to rally his unit and liberate the Ritz (and drink all of the liquor left behind by the Nazis).  The bar is expensive, and there's a dress code.  But it's still worth it for at least one cocktail.
Saturday may be a good day to just head over to Marais and find a bistro, sit outside, and watch people.  Alternatively, if you want to do stuff, then go check out Notre Dame and Sainte Chappelle in the morning, and then take the Metro down to the Catacombs.  That is a wonderfully morbid sight.

Thank you. Great recommendations for Paris.

Staying near Paddington in London.

12 hours ago, Vaporware said:

Thank you. Great recommendations for Paris.

Staying near Paddington in London.

Ok--and you've got noon-to-noon in London, right?

It's really hard not to recommend seeing a soccer fixture while you're there.  I would join Wiler in recommending Craven Cottage, which is Fulham's home ground.  

For the "sights," if you haven't been to the Imperial War Museum, I would highly recommend that.  Alternatively, if you haven't been to St. Paul's, you should really do that.  Just three blocks up St. Martin-le-Grande is the Museum of London, which gives a really good overview of the city's history.

For Saturday night, I would say start out on the Golden Jubilee Bridges for the view, then walk north along Northumberland Ave. to Trafalgar Square.  From there, go west on Cockspur St. and take a right on Haymarket, and you end up in Picadilly.  From there, you can just go north and get lost in Soho and find your evening's entertainment therein.  On the old board, there was the story of the John Snow, which sits across the street from the old water well where the eponymous doctor first discovered that cholera was a water-borne disease in 1854.  That's in Soho at the corner of Lexington and Broadwick.

Ok--and you've got noon-to-noon in London, right?
It's really hard not to recommend seeing a soccer fixture while you're there.  I would join Wiler in recommending Craven Cottage, which is Fulham's home ground.  
For the "sights," if you haven't been to the Imperial War Museum, I would highly recommend that.  Alternatively, if you haven't been to St. Paul's, you should really do that.  Just three blocks up St. Martin-le-Grande is the Museum of London, which gives a really good overview of the city's history.
For Saturday night, I would say start out on the Golden Jubilee Bridges for the view, then walk north along Northumberland Ave. to Trafalgar Square.  From there, go west on Cockspur St. and take a right on Haymarket, and you end up in Picadilly.  From there, you can just go north and get lost in Soho and find your evening's entertainment therein.  On the old board, there was the story of the John Snow, which sits across the street from the old water well where the eponymous doctor first discovered that cholera was a water-borne disease in 1854.  That's in Soho at the corner of Lexington and Broadwick.

Thank you.

I arrive Saturday midday and am open until work Monday. Then arrive back the following Wednesday midday and leave Thursday at noon.

Appreciate all of the work recommendations.

• 3 years later...

Headed to London and Paris in June for 20 days.

I’ve never been to Paris and it’s a bit overwhelming figuring out where to stay. I will have two kids in tow. I went ahead and booked a 2 bedroom apartment in the 16th about a 5 minute walk from the Eiffel Tower. I have no idea if this is a decent location. It looks like it maybe a bit too high end for our tastes. All the restaurants in that area seem to have entrees in the 30-50 euro range. Maybe that’s the going rate everywhere but I was expecting ages to be a bit cheaper. Is there a better area to experience that stereotypical cafe culture that’s still relatively close to the major tourist attractions? I can always cancel my booking for free and stay somewhere else.

1 hour ago, CooterBrown said:

I’ve never been to Paris and it’s a bit overwhelming figuring out where to stay. I will have two kids in tow. I went ahead and booked a 2 bedroom apartment in the 16th about a 5 minute walk from the Eiffel Tower. I have no idea if this is a decent location. It looks like it maybe a bit too high end for our tastes. All the restaurants in that area seem to have entrees in the 30-50 euro range. Maybe that’s the going rate everywhere but I was expecting ages to be a bit cheaper. Is there a better area to experience that stereotypical cafe culture that’s still relatively close to the major tourist attractions? I can always cancel my booking for free and stay somewhere else.

The 16th is alright, but for better Cafe Culture (which is where you will honestly find more reasonable meals), I would stay in either the 3rd, the 5th, or the 6th.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

What are you looking to do in Paris?

14 minutes ago, HenryJames said:

What are you looking to do in Paris?

We'll do the major tourist stuff with the kids during the day and then just adults drinking and dining in the evenings. We'll hit Disneyland Paris one day just to knock off the list. We are pretty open and flexible. Normally, we avoid touristy stuff but kinda have to hit the major landmarks and the Louvre since it's our first time there. I hope to only spend 4 of our 8 days there doing the more touristy stuff and the rest exploring neighborhoods and day drinking. 

So major touristy stuff by Arrondissement:

1st

Louvre and Tuileries - The garden will be very beautiful in the summer.  The Louvre should have evening hours during the summer, and I recommend you do perhaps a late afternoon trip as there should be less crowds.  I would also recommend that you put a list together of the absolute must sees (i.e. 25 things you really want to see in person), otherwise, the Louvre is just too big.  I think I have a list somewhere I can share.

Palais Royale - Palace in Paris which now has a stunning courtyard and shops/cafes/restaurants - There is a modern art installation (The striped columns) which is worth some pics.  

4th

Notre Dame (cannot go in, but can still see the structure), Saint Chapelle (and in the summer they do classical music concerts in the haute chapel, and I highly recommend that), and the Conciergerie (what remains of the Palais de la Cite and where Marie Antoinette was housed).

Hotel de Ville - City Hall...there is also a tower you can climb which is all that remains of a church.

5th

Pantheon

Saint Etienne du Mont - church with the shrine of St. Genevieve, the patron saint of Paris

6th

Luxembourg Gardens - This will be stunning in the summer.  Definitely worth the time.  The Montparnesse Tower is near here too.  It is a tall tower in the center of Paris with an observation deck.

St. Sulpice - Great church with a great organ.

7th

Eiffel Tower

Invalides (military museum and Napoleon's tomb)

Orsay - This is where all the impressionists are.  Great museum in an old train station.

8th

Champs-Elysees and the Arc de Triomphe

Madeleine Church - Also a great church to catch concerts in

9th

Grand Boulevards and department stores

Opera Garnier

18th

Sacre Coeur and Montmartre

20th

Pere Lachaise cemetary

Outside Paris

Disney

Versailles

Obviously, there is a LOT more, but if you only want to spend 4 days or so hitting highlights, then you have to pick and choose.  

I am going to be in Paris for 9 days in May, and I have done a lot of this.  So I am focusing on fashion museums, the Musee Cluny which I am hoping will be open (That is the Middle Ages museum which is undergoing a massive refurb) and then just wandering the city and the parks.  In all my trips, I have never been to Montmartre.  

Here are my favorite cafes in Paris.  I have spent quite a bit of time at all of these.  

https://www.mlleshetravels.com/single-post/2019/06/15/mlle-she-travels-favorite-cafc3a9s-in-paris

The first one is especially fun for people watching as you get to see all the shoppers along Rue Saint-Honore.  

Also to note, the one named after Quasimodo, that one is now something else.  They revamped it into a restaurant, though I am not sure if it is still there.  It was solid and reasonable, and a good place when you are on the Ile de la Cite.

Le Dome is a place we went for lunch on my last trip, and I can also recommend it.  It is also really cool there are a number of pretty famous cafes along that strip (Rotonde, Le Select, and La Coupole).  FYI Tony Bourdain came to Le Dome and did the seafood tower.  

https://www.mlleshetravels.com/single-post/2019/11/24/mlle-she-travels-restaurant-review-lunch-at-le-dôme-café

Edited by PenelopeWitherspoon
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I'll defer to others on the best places to stay for Cafe culture. I would recommend staying near a major metro line that can get you around town quickly. We stayed near the Champ De Mars in the 7th and it was a breeze to hop on most of the lines to get to all the major touristy areas. We only needed a taxi one time to get to one of the restaurants for my wife's birthday. 

Getting out to Disneyland is pretty easy with the RER. Same with Versailles. Other places we enjoyed when we went for my wife's birthday 5 years ago that some might skip but we really enjoyed: Musée de l'Orangerie, Musée Rodin, Sainte-Chapelle, Ile Saint-Louis. There are some fun old carousels around the Eiffel Tower if your kids are still of the age where they would enjoy that. 

• Like 1

kids' ages?  big diff b/t 4/6 and 8/10.  for bfast and lunch skip the restaurants, eat light at cafes, bakeries, cheese shops, etc.  save sit down restaurants for dinners.  oh if you stay by one or have one on the way to wherever you're going, Pret A Manger is great for quick sit down meals with young ones.  almost like an upscale convenience store with counter service.  

Cooter's a Disney fan and has done both parks here. Wife and I went 5 years ago and loved it. It's a small park that can be accomplished in a full day. You can get on the RER in the morning and it's a 1 hr train ride out there and you walk right off the train into the park. Head back on the RER after closing. It's fun seeing people smoking everywhere in a Disney park. If you're a Jules Verne fan, Tomorrowland is pretty great as every ride has a touch of his works in them. 

Don't itinerary shame people. If the dude wants to take his kids to Disneyland there, that's his business. 

Edited by mdmost
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, mdmost said:

Cooter's a Disney fan and has done both parks here. Wife and I went 5 years ago and loved it. It's a small park that can be accomplished in a full day. You can get on the RER in the morning and it's a 1 hr train ride out there and you walk right off the train into the park. Head back on the RER after closing. It's fun seeing people smoking everywhere in a Disney park. If you're a Jules Verne fan, Tomorrowland is pretty great as every ride has a touch of his works in them. 

Don't itinerary shame people. If the dude wants to take his kids to Disneyland there, that's his business. 

I absolutely cannot imagine spending a day in Paris in Disney, especially if you have never been to Paris.  There is way too much to do in Paris itself.  But hey, you do you.

10 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

I absolutely cannot imagine spending a day in Paris in Disney, especially if you have never been to Paris.  There is way too much to do in Paris itself.  But hey, you do you.

Well, we didn't miss a single thing we wanted to do in Paris and Disney was an extra day we tacked on since we wanted to try it. So yes, we did we and had a great time. 

Edited by mdmost
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 1/6/2022 at 2:49 AM, CooterBrown said:

-Those prices are NOT normal, and reflect haute cuisine.  Normal restaurant entrees would be more 10-20, up to 25

-Much of the popular but reasonable eating and drinking you'll probably find around Bastille - Place de la Nation

-Do quick online screening before you walk into a place.  By virtue of gigantic popular tourist city there's a big disparity in quality and lots of "traps"

-Cafe Procope is *arguably* the oldest cafe in Paris and possibly the world (ehh....).  Lots of history there if you want that vibe

-You can still sample the nicer restaurants with their 'business lunch' deals on weekdays.  (Gault Millau/Eater/Michelin for screener)

All that said maybe would be good to temper expectations. Over a long time I tried all sorts of stuff at all prices ranges recommended by friends and coworkers and long-time residents there and as a whole have never come away wholly impressed so YMMV

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, 52-80 said:

-Those prices are NOT normal, and reflect haute cuisine.  Normal restaurant entrees would be more 10-20, up to 25

I have found quite a few local places that are more in line with expectations - 15-25 a plate. They weren't popping up on Google Maps but found them on TripAdvisor. Some googling said that the French use TripAdvisor over Yelp and Google Maps for restaurant searches and that seems to be case. 

On 1/6/2022 at 9:21 AM, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

So major touristy stuff by Arrondissement:

1st

Louvre and Tuileries - The garden will be very beautiful in the summer.  The Louvre should have evening hours during the summer, and I recommend you do perhaps a late afternoon trip as there should be less crowds.  I would also recommend that you put a list together of the absolute must sees (i.e. 25 things you really want to see in person), otherwise, the Louvre is just too big.  I think I have a list somewhere I can share.

Palais Royale - Palace in Paris which now has a stunning courtyard and shops/cafes/restaurants - There is a modern art installation (The striped columns) which is worth some pics.  

4th

Notre Dame (cannot go in, but can still see the structure), Saint Chapelle (and in the summer they do classical music concerts in the haute chapel, and I highly recommend that), and the Conciergerie (what remains of the Palais de la Cite and where Marie Antoinette was housed).

Hotel de Ville - City Hall...there is also a tower you can climb which is all that remains of a church.

5th

Pantheon

Saint Etienne du Mont - church with the shrine of St. Genevieve, the patron saint of Paris

6th

Luxembourg Gardens - This will be stunning in the summer.  Definitely worth the time.  The Montparnesse Tower is near here too.  It is a tall tower in the center of Paris with an observation deck.

St. Sulpice - Great church with a great organ.

7th

Eiffel Tower

Invalides (military museum and Napoleon's tomb)

Orsay - This is where all the impressionists are.  Great museum in an old train station.

8th

Champs-Elysees and the Arc de Triomphe

Madeleine Church - Also a great church to catch concerts in

9th

Grand Boulevards and department stores

Opera Garnier

18th

Sacre Coeur and Montmartre

20th

Pere Lachaise cemetary

Outside Paris

Disney

Versailles

Obviously, there is a LOT more, but if you only want to spend 4 days or so hitting highlights, then you have to pick and choose.  

I am going to be in Paris for 9 days in May, and I have done a lot of this.  So I am focusing on fashion museums, the Musee Cluny which I am hoping will be open (That is the Middle Ages museum which is undergoing a massive refurb) and then just wandering the city and the parks.  In all my trips, I have never been to Montmartre.  

Here are my favorite cafes in Paris.  I have spent quite a bit of time at all of these.  

https://www.mlleshetravels.com/single-post/2019/06/15/mlle-she-travels-favorite-cafc3a9s-in-paris

The first one is especially fun for people watching as you get to see all the shoppers along Rue Saint-Honore.  

Also to note, the one named after Quasimodo, that one is now something else.  They revamped it into a restaurant, though I am not sure if it is still there.  It was solid and reasonable, and a good place when you are on the Ile de la Cite.

Le Dome is a place we went for lunch on my last trip, and I can also recommend it.  It is also really cool there are a number of pretty famous cafes along that strip (Rotonde, Le Select, and La Coupole).  FYI Tony Bourdain came to Le Dome and did the seafood tower.  

https://www.mlleshetravels.com/single-post/2019/11/24/mlle-she-travels-restaurant-review-lunch-at-le-dôme-café

Great timing, we are also planning on Paris and London in June with a 7/10 year old (assuming travel is a thing this year). This list is a great a start.

We rented a apartment in the 7th right now. Mainly so the kids could have the Eiffel Tower view. 

22 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

I have found quite a few local places that are more in line with expectations - 15-25 a plate. They weren't popping up on Google Maps but found them on TripAdvisor. Some googling said that the French use TripAdvisor over Yelp and Google Maps for restaurant searches and that seems to be case. 

Yelp is most definitely an American phenomenon.  The stuff you see for international markets will be written by American bloggers and tourists.

TripAdvisor is big in Paris - technically through their subsidiary TheFork/LaFourchette

• 2 months later...

Wife and I are going to be in Paris for 1 night on the back end of our trip in early June (Staying in 3 arr. on the front end for 2 nights.)

What is a good area/arrondissement to get a hotel in order to hop from cafe to cafe drinking wine, snacking, and people watching? We are 40+ and just looking for a chill evening in a beautiful city. I know nothing of Paris, but we will be doing the touristy stuff on the front end. I just want a safe area I can stumble back to my hotel.

On 1/5/2022 at 8:49 PM, CooterBrown said:

Le petite sommelier,  small bistro on the south bank of the Seinne  Amazing beef bouganian.  We are there several times, and the prices were very reasonable .  The daughter just ate there recently and agreed . 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, LonghornJones said:

Wife and I are going to be in Paris for 1 night on the back end of our trip in early June (Staying in 3 arr. on the front end for 2 nights.)

What is a good area/arrondissement to get a hotel in order to hop from cafe to cafe drinking wine, snacking, and people watching? We are 40+ and just looking for a chill evening in a beautiful city. I know nothing of Paris, but we will be doing the touristy stuff on the front end. I just want a safe area I can stumble back to my hotel.

Always a fan of d’Aubusson in the 6th

https://www.hoteldaubusson.com

18 hours ago, LonghornJones said:

So you've never been to paris and are going to be there for 3 nights total?  you're going to have to heavily filter what you want to accomplish.  as far as best area for cafes/nightlife i would go with latin quarter or marais.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, thrillhammer said:

So you've never been to paris and are going to be there for 3 nights total?  you're going to have to heavily filter what you want to accomplish.  as far as best area for cafes/nightlife i would go with latin quarter or marais.

I have been to Paris 20 years ago, but went with the family. I have done all the touristy stuff. Paris bookends our week in Mykonos.

I am asking for a fun place I can booze and walk to my hotel safely as I know nothing of the area.