2019 FIBA World Cup

UDontKnow

9 hours ago, d2o said:

The only saving grace is that it was during the exhibitions.    With that roster it was a matter of when not if this team lost.  Hope its the only time

This.  It's hilarious to see someone losing their shit when we're sending the L team out.  Kemba Walker being your best player (arguably) is laughable and frankly, embarrassing.  A loss was needed to get all the pussy A/B listers to give a shit again.  This is USA basketball now.  Win about 100 in a row, NBA gets bored and sends some dregs and they drop one and play close games and all of sudden we have to go "redeem" ourselves.  Yawn.  Serbia may beat them too.

9 minutes ago, Kermit said:

That makes perfect sense.

Middleton and Plumlee should never be played at the same time. In fact, Plumlee should flat out refuse to play for the sake of the team. Should be Myles Turner, Brook Lopez, and Harrison Barnes (small line up).

4 hours ago, BigOrange1 said:

$4.99/month too tough of a financial pill for you to swallow?

Not too expensive.   Just not worth it.    I pay them enough in my monthly cable payment

Edited by d2o
  • Like 3

14 hours ago, BigOrange1 said:

to each their own, but there is a lot of really good content on espn+ (especially if you like baseball and/or boxing).  and you can cancel whenever you want so if you are really interested in the fiba world cup, you could watch the entire thing for $4.99.

yeah, I don't like baseball or boxing.  I can watch the replays of USA games on NBATV.    With the time difference I'm not going to be watching live anyway

6 minutes ago, Kermit said:

Yeah, they’re not going to do that. Maybe next time our best won’t sit out.

They won't. But they should. This coaching staff could not scheme against the zone defense - that's a must for the FIBA game. And yes, the best players on this squad are probably fringe players at best on a full-strength Team USA. 

Just now, UDontKnow said:

They won't. But they should. This coaching staff could not scheme against the zone defense - that's a must for the FIBA game. And yes, the best players on this squad are probably fringe players at best on a full-strength Team USA. 

Fringe is being kind. The truth is that the world has caught up. There are NBA players on pretty much every roster. These teams play together for years in a singular scheme. They’re well oiled machines. The US has a camp and throws everyone together in the hopes that they coalesce. Tatum getting hurt really sucked too. He was one of the few who could fill it up on his own. I’m sure that next year, Pop will get a chance with better players. 

2 minutes ago, Kermit said:

Fringe is being kind. The truth is that the world has caught up. There are NBA players on pretty much every roster. These teams play together for years in a singular scheme. They’re well oiled machines. The US has a camp and throws everyone together in the hopes that they coalesce. Tatum getting hurt really sucked too. He was one of the few who could fill it up on his own. I’m sure that next year, Pop will get a chance with better players. 

I know it's not a popular opinion, but it didn't make sense to replace JVG with Popovich considering JVG spent his time exclusively coaching Team USA with Americans who were embedded in other leagues across the globe. To your point, it feels like Popovich was also thrown in the mix to be head coach hoping that things would magically coalesce. I was hoping that Popovich might have a leg up when Team USA was going up against players like Patty Mills and Nando de Colo, but that didn't quite happen. Recall that in scrimmages with the Select Team (who were also cobbled together), this Team USA squad got their ass handed to them several times. That Select Team was coached by JVG. To me it makes sense to let JVG take the reins because he's not spending the majority of his time coaching a competitive NBA franchise and he's had the time to study the international game because it was thanks to his efforts that Team USA qualified to play in the FIBA World Cup.

17 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

I know it's not a popular opinion, but it didn't make sense to replace JVG with Popovich considering JVG spent his time exclusively coaching Team USA with Americans who were embedded in other leagues across the globe. To your point, it feels like Popovich was also thrown in the mix to be head coach hoping that things would magically coalesce. I was hoping that Popovich might have a leg up when Team USA was going up against players like Patty Mills and Nando de Colo, but that didn't quite happen. Recall that in scrimmages with the Select Team (who were also cobbled together), this Team USA squad got their ass handed to them several times. That Select Team was coached by JVG. To me it makes sense to let JVG take the reins because he's not spending the majority of his time coaching a competitive NBA franchise and he's had the time to study the international game because it was thanks to his efforts that Team USA qualified to play in the FIBA World Cup.

I like JVG, and he would’ve been a fantastic choice. He would’ve had the same problems imo. I just believe it was a no win scenario for whoever took the job this year with the players choosing not to play. Pop had some really good assistants too. Hopefully we can beat Serbia for fifth place.

51 minutes ago, Kermit said:

I like when things like this happen. It reminds me why I love basketball. Talent is an important factor--maybe the most important--but it doesn't override everything else.  Fucking Harrison Barnes--a dude we make fun of for being grossly overpaid and generally sucking--is better than everyone on France except for Gobert.  They have a few NBA players; we have 12.  But they have chemistry, cohesion, and high basketball IQs, and that shit matters.

I hope it won't be long before even our best can't just out-talent the rest of the world.

1 hour ago, Kermit said:

I like JVG, and he would’ve been a fantastic choice. He would’ve had the same problems imo. I just believe it was a no win scenario for whoever took the job this year with the players choosing not to play. Pop had some really good assistants too. Hopefully we can beat Serbia for fifth place.

It was a really bad situation but did this tourney start later in the summer than most of the others?     Training camps should be opening any day now and I'm sure that was a large factor in many of the first wave of guys dropping out.     I'm confident that later rounds of guys declining or dropping was due to the fact that they saw the roster was turning to shit and they were going to lose.

1 minute ago, d2o said:

It was a really bad situation but did this tourney start later in the summer than most of the others?     Training camps should be opening any day now and I'm sure that was a large factor in many of the first wave of guys dropping out.     I'm confident that later rounds of guys declining or dropping was due to the fact that they saw the roster was turning to shit and they were going to lose.

Yes, and FIBA was supposed to be last year. They moved it back, and players were pissed because they would have this tournament this year and the Olympics next year. Plus I’m sure most of them just don’t give a shit. Free time is valuable for these guys and some tournament in China that’s on ESPN + with the expectation it not being an easy road is not how they want to spend their summer. Next year they’ll be banging groupies in Olympic Village and starting a new Redeem Team.  

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

I have a difficult time giving any fucks about this. And honestly, I have a difficult time even caring about the Olympics. What exactly are we trying to prove here? I probably have more interest in Suns vs. Kings on a Wednesday night in January than any of this. 

That's fair. But why post in this thread if you don't give a fuck about it?

15 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

That's fair. But why post in this thread if you don't give a fuck about it?

Good question. I suppose I'm still interested in watching and discussing basketball in general, and this would fall under that category. I think I'm much less concerned with the outcome and the subsequent reactions, "OMG! The US lost! Fire everybody!"  I mean, I've been to the Summer league countless times (back when it was still cool) and loved every second of it. Shit, I've watched guys play pickup basketball on Venice beach and in NYC for hours at a time. I'm a hoops junkie and there isn't any other basketball going on right now, so I do have a passing interest. I just don't have much of a rooting interest.

Winning this tournament or the Olympics doesn't really do anything for me. Do we really need to prove that the US plays the best basketball in the world? There's not even a question. Mason Plumlee and Joe Harris defending our nation's honor against Nando de Colo and Frank Ntilikina doesn't really move the needle for me. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, d2o said:

Lost to Serbia too.   Can't finish better than 7th now.  What a disaster

Who are they playing for 7th place? Not that it really makes a difference because it's still an abortion of a showing.

52 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

Making it a fight after falling behind 32-7 at least showed some pride.  I'm good with that.

There are no moral victories with that performance, aggie08.

5 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

There are no moral victories with that performance, aggie08.

Well, since I couldn't care less if they finish 5th or 7th--and it wouldn't have surprised me at all if they had the same attitude once they fell behind--it was nice to see some fight.  Too little too late, obviously.

But he's right..... it's the same thing we have to go through every 15 years or so.  We think we can send any 12 schmos and win.  Before it was some of our better or best college guys before the game changed to allow the best "amateur" players to go to the pros directly.  Now, it's any 12 NBA schmos and we should win.  In our last game, Myles Turner or Khris Middleton were our best players.  That's embarrassing.  I love Myles but he's not in the top 50 American players right now, maybe in a few years but not right now.  Middleton isn't even in the top 75 players, arguably not in the top 100.  We don't respect the rest of the world and their capacity to continue to improve and they take this more seriously than us.  It means more to them because we'll go to Tokyo with guys like Davis, Harden, and Kawhi and beat down all other teams with probably only a handful of competitive halves and everyone will think we showed the world our superiority.  And we will have, but the other country's will continue to learn and improve and adjust, but we'll be satisfied.  We already can't win with our E team, but soon we won't be able to win with anything but our best.... That's probably coming in the next 20 years.

22 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

We think we can send any 12 schmos and win.

I don't think anyone thinks that. The rest of the world hasn't caught up to anything other than our scrubs and/or bad coaching-- in this case, our scrubs. In the case of the '88 Olympics, which was what really started all this, John Thompson playing fatball with a roster that was plenty good enough to win gold.