Texas Women's Soccer

Js1

2 hours ago, closetojumping said:

I read yesterday that “a minor tweak” had been added to Kelly’s contract going forward. Anyone have better info than that snippet? I saw it referenced by Brian Davis in a tweet. 

Read the article in the Statesman,  can't locate it at this time.

Kelly, Elliott, and Naviar's contracts were amended for benefits like dealer vehicle use and other areas.   Not anything performance related.

aggy wins 4-1. Season over for Texas

The Angela Kelly NCAA tournament at Texas profile:

2012: Did not make tournament

2013: Did not make tournament

2014: 2nd round

2015: Did not make tournament

2016: Did not make tournament

2017: 3rd round!!

2018: 1st round

2019: 1st round

In 8 seasons at Texas, Kelly has won 3 NCAA tournament games. Sounds bad, but then again we just gave her a 3 year extension so maybe I'm wrong and this is acceptable for Texas soccer. ugh

4 hours ago, perfectchaos007 said:

aggy wins 4-1. Season over for Texas

The Angela Kelly NCAA tournament at Texas profile:

2012: Did not make tournament

2013: Did not make tournament

2014: 2nd round

2015: Did not make tournament

2016: Did not make tournament

2017: 3rd round!!

2018: 1st round

2019: 1st round

In 8 seasons at Texas, Kelly has won 3 NCAA tournament games. Sounds bad, but then again we just gave her a 3 year extension so maybe I'm wrong and this is acceptable for Texas soccer. ugh

8 seasons too many.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
7 hours ago, Goodman said:

First and only home spring match, perfect weather. Austin Anthem band out here, close to outnumbering fans. Hope they’re getting paid.

Schedule only spring home on a high schoosol game night. Smart, Texas, real smart.

• 2 months later...

Disclaimer:  I have zero interest in the women’s soccer team aside from hoping anyone representing UT does well.  Came across this article in the DMN today and enjoyed it.  Here’s hoping these two ladies make it to campus.

https://www.dallasnews.com/high-school-sports/soccer/2020/05/19/the-same-path-as-hamm-wambach-or-going-pro-straight-out-of-hs-an-emerging-trend-and-choice-two-dallas-area-soccer-prodigies-face/

On 5/19/2020 at 7:42 PM, conVINCEd said:

Disclaimer:  I have zero interest in the women’s soccer team aside from hoping anyone representing UT does well.  Came across this article in the DMN today and enjoyed it.  Here’s hoping these two ladies make it to campus.

https://www.dallasnews.com/high-school-sports/soccer/2020/05/19/the-same-path-as-hamm-wambach-or-going-pro-straight-out-of-hs-an-emerging-trend-and-choice-two-dallas-area-soccer-prodigies-face/

Missimo is definitely good enough to go pro but I don't see it happening. The max salary in the NSWL is 50k and minimum salary is 20k. Maybe there is more money to be made overseas. 

I think the only real shot at money for Missimo is endorsements/sponsorships but the way the NCAA is trending seems like she could get those same type deals in college. I'm also not sure she could pull the type endorsements that a player like Pugh was getting. Pugh had a lot of exposure because she was playing with the USWNT at  17 years old. 

Either way, I hope we see Missimo at Texas. She's a special talent. I grew up playing club soccer and I've had several friends tell me she's the best youth player they've seen. 

Edited by texasstrong12
  • Like 1

On 5/19/2020 at 7:42 PM, conVINCEd said:

If you have any young girls that like soccer in your life you should strongly consider taking them to a home game. Great setting for a game and we have a ton of talent, just don't care about score or coaching. Kelly reminds me a Shaka, very similar coaching styles IMO.

1 minute ago, Goodman said:

If you have any young girls that like soccer in your life you should strongly consider taking them to a home game. Great setting for a game and we have a ton of talent, just don't care about score or coaching. Kelly reminds me a Shaka, very similar coaching styles IMO.

I have a niece who is getting to the age where that would be a fun day, and if I still lived in Austin I absolutely would take her.  One of her aunts who played for UT and still lives in Austin will almost certainly beat me to the punch on that one though.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It's Texas all the way and the team needs this level of a player, if they use her.

We pass around the midfield way too often.

Guess this pushes Berg out of AM?

We still don't have a true DM between Berg, Grosso, Missimo, and Stroup (she may be done). Allen can play DM though, if she can develop the mindset for it.

3 hours ago, pacman said:

It's Texas all the way and the team needs this level of a player, if they use her.

We pass around the midfield way too often.

Guess this pushes Berg out of AM?

We still don't have a true DM between Berg, Grosso, Missimo, and Stroup (she may be done). Allen can play DM though, if she can develop the mindset for it.

They may put Bluemel in a defensive midfield role. I guess it depends on if they have options at center back. 

IMO our biggest weakness last year was lack of technical ability out of the back. When Texas could get the ball to attacking players they were dangerous. I hope we are looking for more technical players out of  the back. Somebody like Mshana was an absolute workhorse out of the back but the lack of technical ability killed us at times because of our inability to possess the ball. 

One of Berg, Grosso or Missimo would play up top. My guess is Berg. 

I really like what we have in the midfield, forward, and at goalkeeper. Probably the most talented roster we've had at those positions under Kelly. 

The big question is defense (FB and CB). The only proven player there is Regan. There is a lot of talent coming in at those positions with Lapomarda, Pace, Samanani, and Bluemel. Lapomarda and Pace were both high 4 stars in recruiting. 

They probably need to put one of these technical midfielders/forwards at center back. 

Edited by texasstrong12

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Brooks made the advertisement. Good for her!

My kid had occasion to scrimmage against 2021 commit Byars this week. Byars is something else, if we can get her on campus which seems unlikely as each day passes.

Edited by pacman