Texas Women's Soccer

Js1

11 hours ago, Cairn Horn88 said:

The Florida State Seminoles women's soccer team is national champions for the fourth time in program history —and for the first time under second-year head coach Brian Pensky — following a 5-1 victory over Stanford on Monday night.

Looks like we drew the wrong team to play early on!

That is one way to look at it or we can go with proven history that leadership matters. It all starts at the top and we should not settle for 2nd tier coaches.

6 minutes ago, Goodman said:

That is one way to look at it or we can go with proven history that leadership matters. It all starts at the top and we should not settle for 2nd tier coaches.

Hey now, he took over for Angela Kelly at Tennessee and went 118-58-25. Kelly went 160-84-20 there.

But the foundation Pensky took over was way better than what Kelly walked into. Krikorian went 310-67-36 at FSU with 3 championships and 3 runner up finishes and 11 total College Cup appearances prior to Pensky taking over. 

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

Hey now, he took over for Angela Kelly at Tennessee and went 118-58-25. Kelly went 160-84-20 there.

But the foundation Pensky took over was way better than what Kelly walked into. Krikorian went 310-67-36 at FSU with 3 championships and 3 runner up finishes and 11 total College Cup appearances prior to Pensky taking over. 

You are correct. A new coach would walk into a way better program than what Kelly walked into but so goes life, she's proven what/who she is as a leader. Add the local interest for soccer & nil/portal, it's time. I know i'm preaching to the choir here, simply maddening to watch a program that has the tools to be elite continue to settle for being mid.

• Hook 'Em 2

On 11/23/2023 at 6:52 AM, Rickylovesweed said:

Definitely sounds like Kelly is going to get some type of extension based on Del Conte's most recent "40 Acres Insider" release. 

https://texassports.com/news/2023/11/21/forty-acres-insider-november-21.aspx

"And to think, with Lexi, Trinity Byars and Mia Justus all having eligibility remaining, EmJ Cox returning from injury, AND an incoming top-10 recruiting class, momentum in our Soccer program is at an all-time high as we transition into the SEC in 2024."

Not sure if this was already posted, but it looks like she got an extension to 2028 this summer:

• Rage+1 1

Kelly will keep Texas as a decently good but never great program. We’ll have good seasons where we reach a sweet16, decent seasons where we barely make the tournament, but we will almost certainly never make an elite 8 run under her. It’s a shame can’t coach as well as she recruits because she’s a hell of a recruiter 

5 year seems way too much.  But whatever. 

Big 12 soccer (RPI before tournament): 2, 7, 25, 45, 54, 96, 108, 110, 120, 136, 166, 192, 214, 246 and is bring in 96 Utah, 47 ASU, 64 Arizona, 55, Colorado.  (RPI 99 average with Texas/OU, 103 without)
SEC soccer: 10, 16, 22, 24, 32, 36, 49, 52, 60, 61, 73, 80, 86, 122 and bringing in 25 Texas and 108 OU (RPI 52 without Texas/OU, 54 with) 

SEC soccer is tough. 

22 minutes ago, perfectchaos007 said:

Kelly will keep Texas as a decently good but never great program. We’ll have good seasons where we reach a sweet16, decent seasons where we barely make the tournament, but we will almost certainly never make an elite 8 run under her. It’s a shame can’t coach as well as she recruits because she’s a hell of a recruiter 

I'll bet against that next year if everyone returns and what they add. They were a Sweet 16 team this year and will be better under the assumption 1) Most the roster returns 2) The top 10 class makes it to campus. 

The problem is Kelly will never have that type of roster again. 

14 minutes ago, Js1 said:

5 year seems way too much.  But whatever. 

Big 12 soccer (RPI before tournament): 2, 7, 25, 45, 54, 96, 108, 110, 120, 136, 166, 192, 214, 246 and is bring in 96 Utah, 47 ASU, 64 Arizona, 55, Colorado.  (RPI 99 average with Texas/OU, 103 without)
SEC soccer: 10, 16, 22, 24, 32, 36, 49, 52, 60, 61, 73, 80, 86, 122 and bringing in 25 Texas and 108 OU (RPI 52 without Texas/OU, 54 with) 

SEC soccer is tough. 

Definitely but I think that's a good thing for next year. 

The key to advancing to the Elite 8 is hosting those 2nd and 3rd round matches. The SEC gives us a much better chance of having a high RPI in women's soccer. 

2 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Definitely but I think that's a good thing for next year. 

The key to advancing to the Elite 8 is hosting those 2nd and 3rd round matches. The SEC gives us a much better chance of having a high RPI in women's soccer. 

Yeah, we will benefit from SEC bias (see aggy's seed this year) 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 2/27/2024 at 2:57 PM, YGIFS said:

Anybody know anything about our Spring schedule?  Usually starts in early March and haven't seen a single peep about any matches.  Thanks.

Free one tonight at 7 versus TXST

• Hook 'Em 1

• 5 weeks later...

So we are returning the entire starting 11 from last year's Sweet 16 team and adding a top 10 recruiting class, We might also have 3 top 20 draft picks in Byars, Missimo, and Shimkin.

As shitty a coach as Kelly is she's actually pretty good at building a roster. If this team can't make an elite 8/college cup it would be pretty bad. 

https://texassports.com/news/2024/1/10/soccer-set-to-return-entire-starting-xi-for-2024.aspx

On 12/5/2023 at 11:28 AM, perfectchaos007 said:

Will almost certainly never make an elite 8 run under her. It’s a shame can’t coach as well as she recruits because she’s a hell of a recruiter 

Texas is returning the entire starting 11 from last year's sweet 16 team, adding a top 10 recruiting class, and getting an All-American caliber defender back from injury in Cox. 

Next year is going to be fascinating because I agree that Kelly sucks but it's going to take an absolute choke job not to get this roster to an Elite 8. 

I see Misimo and Byars have tweeted about the Texas One Fund. Also, it's pretty incredible to get the entire starting 11 back. That seems like something which will be very uncommon moving forward. 

@closetojumpingdo you have any clue what type of money players like Missimo and Byars are getting from NIL? They are both likely top 5 picks in the draft next year and likely could have been this year if they wanted. 

41 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

I see Misimo and Byars have tweeted about the Texas One Fund. Also, it's pretty incredible to get the entire starting 11 back. That seems like something which will be very uncommon moving forward. 

@closetojumpingdo you have any clue what type of money players like Missimo and Byars are getting from NIL? They are both likely top 5 picks in the draft next year and likely could have been this year if they wanted. 

I think it is 5 digits, but don't call me a liar if I am low there.

• Hook 'Em 2

16 hours ago, Rickylovesweed said:

For a program that's never advanced past the Sweet 16, next year seems like our best opportunity. 

Just a shame we have to rely on Kelly with a loaded roster. 

Maybe we can kidnap her the way we kidnapped Kevin Mar and keep her holed up in a hotel room for 4 months during the women's soccer team run to the title? 

One thing I view as certain with "Angie" is that the only way she's getting fired is if Plonsky retires. No matter how stacked next year's team is, a simple round of 32 visit keeps the seat from being hot.

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

I guess if that last “hold” Plonsky has in Bellmont is soccer, that’s fine since CDC got his guy in WBB and softball 

Soccer shares a calendar with football (king at Texas) and VB (most successful program on campus) so not surprised if people just don’t care that much 

Edited by Js1

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

I guess if that last “hold” Plonsky has in Bellmont is soccer, that’s fine since CDC got his guy in WBB and softball 

Soccer shares a calendar with football (king at Texas) and VB (most successful program on campus) so not surprised if people just don’t care that much 

Soccer has patrons and has been discussed in meaty parts of the NIL working groups. People care. Just not enough for the juice to be worth the squeeze. 

I think, due to lack of program success, women's soccer is the absolute fringiest* sport in the UT portfolio, even if women's soccer overall is continuing to grow in national interest. Good place to hang out as a coach if you can get that gig. You certainly cannot hide as a coach in any other sport on campus.

*Beach Volleyball was brought on during CDC's time. They suck as a fledgling program right now, but the stud coach's remit for that group is to start winning in 2025 and winning big from there. 

• Hook 'Em 2

6 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Maybe we can kidnap her the way we kidnapped Kevin Mar and keep her holed up in a hotel room for 4 months during the women's soccer team run to the title? 

There are probably 10 to 15 coaches that could get this team to at least an elite 8 next year.

1) Returning every contributor from a Sweet 16 team + getting Cox back from injury who is an All-American caliber fullback. 

2) Top tier talent. Missimo and Byars will be drafted in the top 10 next year. Shimkin and Cox could very well go in the 20-30 range. 

3) Most the roster next year will be experienced upperclassmen.

4) Top 10 recruiting class. 

This would be an embarrassment if Kelly can't do anything more than a Sweet 16 with this roster. This roster is approaching the level of talent we have on the volleyball team. 

6 hours ago, Js1 said:

That and Kelly isn't terrible. She just drastically underachieves with the talent she has and we aren't a top 10 program. 

2022 (Big 12 champions/round of 32), 2023 (Big 12 tournament champions/Sweet 16), and next year we should be pretty good. She has us a fringe top 25 program right now in a sport we don't seem to care that much about. 

The benefit of somebody like Charlie Strong is they suck so much it's easy to fire them.