Texas Women's Soccer

Js1

Texas 2-0 win against Washington. That's a quality result. 3 wins a row with a favorable schedule coming up. They should be able to stack some wins now and get this to 6 straight. 

1) Unsurprisingly, Jett has been a stabilizing force in the back. Since she's been back we've only given up 1 goal in 3 games. We're a much better defensive team when we can put Jett and Reagan at outside fullback. I figured they would slide Brooks inside but they've put Dorsett in the other central fullback role. Jett might be our most important player because she completely shuts down teams on one side of the field. 

2) Billups was back tonight. It would be nice if we could have all our best players healthy for once. 

3) Nobles should never come off the field. So dangerous in attack. 

4) The biggest issue still remains technical ability in the back and certain midfield spots. We're really dangerous when we can get the ball up top to Berg, Hintzen, Grosso and Nobles. We will score 2 or 3 goals a game if they can just maintain possession a little and feed our best players. 

5) I think Madden is more talented than Curry but for whatever reason we don't give up goals when Curry is the keeper. I can't really explain this. Either way, Curry needs to remain the keeper because she doesn't give up goals. 

6) Biggest key is staying healthy which Kelly hasn't figured out yet. We're a much better team with players like Billups and Jett on the field. I don't know what the fix is here but they need to figure it out because every year with have 2 or 3 starters missing substantial time. 

• Like 1

4-0 Monmouth and an abysmal effort from Texas. It's one thing to get outclassed but that didn't happen today. A complete no show and zero effort. 

Kelly tries to be too player friendly. After an effort like this all these players should be running sprints until they puke their guts out. When stuff like this happens you have to send a message. 

Jett didn't return in the 2nd half so she must have another injury. Our defense goes to shit when she's not on the field. Tecora Turner, Hintzen, Stroup, Jett, Oliver all out with injuries. Billups has also missed significant time. The amount of injuries has reached a point of being a detriment to the season every single year. Kelly should fire the entire medical/support staff because it's been 3 or 4 seasons since we've even been somewhat healthy. 

3 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

4-0 Monmouth and an abysmal effort from Texas. It's one thing to get outclassed but that didn't happen today. A complete no show and zero effort. 

Kelly tries to be too player friendly. After an effort like this all these players should be running sprints until they puke their guts out. When stuff like this happens you have to send a message. 

Jett didn't return in the 2nd half so she must have another injury. Our defense goes to shit when she's not on the field. Tecora Turner, Hintzen, Stroup, Jett, Oliver all out with injuries. Billups has also missed significant time. The amount of injuries has reached a point of being a detriment to the season every single year. Kelly should fire the entire medical/support staff because it's been 3 or 4 seasons since we've even been somewhat healthy. 

Unfortunately these days with title ix and other student athlete protection coaches can't punish players like that. They can suspend players to deliver a message but forcing them to run sprints until they puke would get the coach fired.

I'm sick of Angela Kelly.  She needs to be fired.  Our team played well at the beginning of the year last year, then plummeted at the end of the season and couldn't score goals.  This season, there are too many injuries and our offense is still pretty paltry against decent, but less talented teams like Denver, CU, etc.  We should have beaten Monmouth 3-0 today even without Cyera Hitzen playing.  I'm willing to bet that we finish around .500 in conference play with no NCAA tournament bid.  I'm also not impressed by Kelly in her TV interviews.  

Edited by Mile High Horn

8 hours ago, Mile High Horn said:

I'm sick of Angela Kelly.  She needs to be fired.  Our team played well at the beginning of the year last year, then plummeted at the end of the season and couldn't score goals.  This season, there are too many injuries and our offense is still pretty paltry against decent, but less talented teams like Denver, CU, etc.  We should have beaten Monmouth 3-0 today even without Cyera Hitzen playing.  I'm willing to bet that we finish around .500 in conference play with no NCAA tournament bid.  I'm also not impressed by Kelly in her TV interviews.  

CDC will not hesitate to fire her.  I'm so happy we have an actual leader in the AD position. 

10 hours ago, Goodman said:

She just received a new contract, recruiting well, non revenue sport....I do hope you are right. We can recruit the talent to play here and the right coach can make us a real program. Same goes for hoops.

CDC doesn't seem one to sit by and watch us lose to Providence, Monmouth, Denver.  Meanwhile, we continue to be third or fourth best in the state (Texas A&M, Texas Tech, Baylor) and 6th or 7th fiddle in our own conference (Kansas, Ok State, WV, Baylor, Tech).  Is this program even going anywhere? 

Angela Kelly was not his hire either.  She's only paid like $205k, you think he couldn't find an measly $1 million to pay her out for the rest of the contract (through 2024) and just deal with it? (I don't know the buyout terms of her contract or what happens if she's fired before 2024) 

9 hours ago, torre said:

Watched the 2nd half.    You can tell by the players' demeanor there is no leadership.

I agree with this.  They don’t seem to have an identity and don’t play with intention and purpose.  Their only strategy appears to be to try to get the ball to Berg in the middle front and see if she can beat three defenders.  If that fails they launch shots from 30 yards.  I don’t see much working together by multiple players at once.  The worst thing is there are too many defensive lapses where the effort just isn’t there.  No sense of urgency. 

Disappointing preconference play for sure, feels like we are limping into Big xii play. We certainly failed to enter with any momentum, or identity.

I suspect knox will tell us this looks exactly like the mess at Tennessee before she left.

To me, it looks like many are having trouble finding motivation to play for Kelly, which I understand is an issue that has followed her for a long while. She alienates most while over playing buddy buddy with a few.

Still, with Nobles, Grosso, Berg its hard to not see a good offense if allowed to gell together with increased playing time.

Hintzen needs health. I know training staff can be blamed but so can a complete lack of periodization in your program, which is on the coach.

Edited by pacman

I don't really have a lot of inside info from my time in Knox.  I was coaching youth-level club soccer, then high school.  I just recall the higher-ups in the club scene as not being particularly fond of her (Kelly).  She did very little to reach out to the local soccer community.  I also played coed with a couple of ex Vol players.  They seemed very meh about her.  It kind of goes with the territory with women's soccer, but the games were very ... uh ... just there.  There never seemed to be a flow to her team.  There never seemed to be anyone that stood out.  There didn't seem to be a lot of energy around the program.  Players showed up, did their thing, then left.  Maybe I'm nitpicking or reaching.  I'll just say that I was very surprised Texas went after her.  

Welp, we just beat arguably the top team in the Big 12 on the road. 

Jesus, if only Kelly would realize we're pretty damn good when healthy. When we've had Berg, Grosso, Hintzen and Jett all together we look like a top 15 team. Quality results against Washington and Kansas when all those players are together. 

Beyond frustrating to see results like this against Washington and Kansas when we are close to full strength. Fire the entire damn medical/training staff. We could very well win the Big 12 if we stay healthy which seems unlikely based on our history. We're certainly going to lose 2 or 3 important players here soon. 

Edited by texasstrong12

8 minutes ago, Js1 said:

This team is bipolar 

Meh not really. They're good when they have their best players and they suck when they don't have their best players. It's kind of amazing Kelly hasn't figured this out. 

When we've had Jett, Hintzen, Grosso and Berg all together we're 4-0 and are outscoring teams 9-1. 

Edited by texasstrong12

1-0 victory over K-State. 2-0 in the Big 12 with 5/7 remaining Big 12 games at home. Texas put themselves in a position to challenge in the Big 12 this weekend. 

We're now 5-0 with a 10-1 goal differential with all our starters together. This team is good when they aren't missing critical players like Hintzen, Billups, or Jett. Maybe Kelly will eventually figure this out. 

17 hours ago, texasstrong12 said:

We're now 5-0 with a 10-1 goal differential with all our starters together. This team is good when they aren't missing critical players like Hintzen, Billups, or Jett. Maybe Kelly will eventually figure this out. 

There are certainly plenty of reasons to complain about Kelly, but I don't understand this take.  You don't think she knows that the team plays best when the best players play?  Or are you saying she is responsible for her best players not all being fit to play all the time?

1 hour ago, idigTexas said:

There are certainly plenty of reasons to complain about Kelly, but I don't understand this take.  You don't think she knows that the team plays best when the best players play?  Or are you saying she is responsible for her best players not all being fit to play all the time?

I don’t care what players we put out there, you don’t lose 5-0 to Monmouth on our own field. 

4 hours ago, idigTexas said:

I'm saying Kelly is terrible at dealing with injuries and her support/medical staff suck. It's not "bad luck" when you have 4 or 5 critical injuries every year. It's a trend with Kelly. 

Last year, I was bitching about how Kelly handled the Hintzen injury. We had nothing to play for in the final regular season game against Tech and Kelly tried to play Hintzen at 50%. Then she tried to play Hintzen in the Big 12 tournament at about 50%. Guess what happened in the first round NCAA tournament game when we had to keep Hintzen on the bench for most of the game? 

If Kelly knows the team plays best with their top players she sure doesn't show it because every year we're down 3 or 4 starters at critical stretches of the season. Take steps to fix the problem.

3 hours ago, idigTexas said:

I definitely agree with that.  As I said, there are plenty of reasons to complain.

1) There's no excuse for the Monmouth 5-0 loss. That was a shit effort and Kelly deserves criticism. 

2) The thing about soccer is there's not much separating these teams at this level. K-State is probably the worst or 2nd worst team in the Big 12. It took 2 OTs for Baylor to beat them and a late goal from Texas to beat them this weekend. In this sport, 1 or 2 goals separates bad teams from good teams.

1 or 2 players, at this level, make the difference between being bad and good. Especially players like Jett (that limit goals) and Hintzen (that score goals).