2019 Texas injury and illness

Magus Ossis

DGF — cervical spinal stenosis — OUT for season, to be re-evaluated afterwards. My guess— if he doesn’t get cleared after the season, he will either transfer or have surgery. Surgery means no spring ball, who knows after that.

Derrian Brown — “Blood clot in brain” — I never saw more specific diagnosis, but his treatment seems consistent with cerebral sinus thrombosis  — OUT for season, prognosis for 2020 cloudy but hopeful if no risk factors for recurrence are identified

Kirk — “clavicle issue” — sounds like AC sprain/separation. Days to weeks most likely.

Overshown — “midfoot sprain” — Coach Herman seems unconcerned, hopefully with reason. The classic midfoot sprain is a ligamentous  Lisfranc injury. If it is grade 1 or 2, he’ll miss some camp. Grade 3, likely done for the year. I doubt he would have been walking around if that’s what it was, though.

• Like 8

Herman was on the Horn yesterday (I linked the interview in the fall practice thread) and was asked about the injuries. Overshown's strain was from rolling his ankle and he should be out just a couple of days.

On Kirk, his X-rays came back negative and he's getting an MRI, focusing on the region where the clavicle meets the rib cage.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Machinator said:

Herman was on the Horn yesterday (I linked the interview in the fall practice thread) and was asked about the injuries. Overshown's strain was from rolling his ankle and he should be out just a couple of days.

On Kirk, his X-rays came back negative and he's getting an MRI, focusing on the region where the clavicle meets the rib cage.

Thanks.

If Overshown has more of a true ankle sprain than a midfoot one (the direction I am led by the description you give of the interview), it is probably not a big deal-- I think everyone here has been around a few ankle sprains.

If Kirk has a sternoclavicular (SC) sprain, the timing could be similar to the much more common acromioclavicular (AC) variety-- dependent on severity of the ligamentous injury. Grade I-- maybe back in days, maybe weeks. Grade 2 -- weeks, probably at least the rest of camp. I think an Xray would have already shown something if there were a grade 3 (likely kiss the season goodbye) injury. In truth, even grade 2 might show up if the Xrays were done well.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Magus Ossis said:

If Kirk has a sternoclavicular (SC) sprain, the timing could be similar to the much more common acromioclavicular (AC) variety-- dependent on severity of the ligamentous injury. Grade I-- maybe back in days, maybe weeks. Grade 2 -- weeks, probably at least the rest of camp. I think an Xray would have already shown something if there were a grade 3 (likely kiss the season goodbye) injury. In truth, even grade 2 might show up if the Xrays were done well.

This sounds all made up and stuff.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Floyd— OUT, no change

Brown— OUT, no change

Kirk— SC sprain, possible return sometime in September (estimated 6 weeks 8/10)

Overshown— poorly specified sprain, in boot. Maybe back soon if this is minor ankle injury versus unstable midfoot.

K Watson— leg bone contusion, in boot. Contusions (bruises) can hurt like and take as long as fractures (breaks) to recover. Some guys feel better faster and/or play through it. This can also be a catch-bucket for blunt force mechanism of injury where no further exact diagnosis jumps out. Best guess he’s back during camp.

On 8/8/2019 at 7:16 PM, longhornmatt said:

HBO's Chernobyl miniseries recounts how Legasov explained to Gorbachev and the rest of the Communist Central Committee that irradiated graphite from the meltdown should be taken seriously because it was giving out the equivalent of four million chest x-rays, and this scared the USSR into taking the incident seriously instead of letting the meltdown continue unabated until it wiped out most of Eastern Europe.

STATIONOBYL.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

5 hours ago, Magus Ossis said:

Kirk— SC sprain, possible return sometime in September (estimated 6 weeks 8/10)

Waiting till the Oct 5th West Virginia game (after an off week) would seem like a good target date for Kirk to return.  Eight weeks for KJ to recover, and then 8 remaining regular season B12 games  that KJ could still play in  (knock on wood).  🤘

5 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Waiting till the Oct 5th West Virginia game (after an off week) would seem like a good target date for Kirk to return.  Eight weeks for KJ to recover, and then 8 remaining regular season B12 games  that KJ could still play in  (knock on wood).  🤘

Hopefully he can come back even sooner, because he figures to be a prominent weapon on offense. He's averaged 11 yards rushing a season during his 4 year career, that kind of production can't be easily replaced. 

Honestly, knowing we were thin at RB, you don’t fucking play Ingram in stupid meaningless scrimmages.  Now we’ll have Danny Young running for 2 yards a carry.  This staff can be fucking idiotic sometimes.  Hopefully it’s not too bad.  Hate to lose Sterns but our safety room is fucking stacked.  We didn’t drop a beat against UGA when he went out.  

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

X posting since it's more relevant here. 

Damn... I thought we'd at least make it to the season before this shit. Herman really needs to find his balance and the right approach towards practices. I'm not going to act like I'd know what it is. Just hope both are back for LSU

1 hour ago, victory88 said:

Honestly, knowing we were thin at RB, you don’t fucking play Ingram in stupid meaningless scrimmages.  Now we’ll have Danny Young running for 2 yards a carry.  This staff can be fucking idiotic sometimes.  Hopefully it’s not too bad.  Hate to lose Sterns but our safety room is fucking stacked.  We didn’t drop a beat against UGA when he went out.  

You dumb.

Edited by Casual Encounter
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, victory88 said:

First scrimmage of fall camp isn't the time to sit young guys. Honestly it isn't the time to sit anyone, but especially because these are two sophomores we're talking about. Injuries happen. Hopefully they are indeed minor and they can both get back to practice before the opener.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, victory88 said:

Honestly, knowing we were thin at RB, you don’t fucking play Ingram in stupid meaningless scrimmages.  Now we’ll have Danny Young running for 2 yards a carry. 

Danny Young has averaged 4.3 ypc on 124 carries at Texas. I don't think our OL was as good in his first year as it will be this year.   He also has 14 receptions for 152 yards.

But don't let facts stop you from your vaginal whining.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

First scrimmage of fall camp isn't the time to sit young guys. Honestly it isn't the time to sit anyone, but especially because these are two sophomores we're talking about. Injuries happen. Hopefully they are indeed minor and they can both get back to practice before the opener.

Let's not forget that Sterns has already missed quite a bit of practice in his career from injury. He may be an elite talent but he still has room for development.

If he's injury-prone, then so be it, just recruit at a high level year-after-year - which is both possible and expected at Texas.

2 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Let's not forget that Sterns has already missed quite a bit of practice in his career from injury. He may be an elite talent but he still has room for development.

If he's injury-prone, then so be it, just recruit at a high level year-after-year - which is both possible and expected at Texas.

Exactly, and the same is true for Ingram. Obviously the depth chart looks better behind Sterns than Ingram, though you can't really hold the Brown thing against the staff. It's a bad break for both, but they also are both developing a bit of a trend with injuries. If that is the case, better to have it happen now with weeks to prep the next man than during the opener after having them go non-contact all fall.