2019 Texas injury and illness

Magus Ossis

We're going to see a WR or DB have slide to RB, depending on severity and length of time out.  Im sure the coaches are drilling down on it. We've got to have a couple bodies that can make the conversion. I know the body type is different, but one of our backup WR or DBs has to have played with the ball in their hand in HS

Just now, jdhorn92 said:

We're going to see a WR or DB have slide to RB, depending on severity and length of time out.  Im sure the coaches are drilling down on it. We've got to have a couple bodies that can make the conversion. I know the body type is different, but one of our backup WR or DBs has to have played with the ball in their hand in HS

Foster played RB in high school, but we need him at safety/nickel with Sterns out. We can't have two of our three best DBs not out there in practice if we can help it.

Like Herman said, Jake Smith and the walk-ons will be the next men up.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Machinator said:

Foster played RB in high school, but we need him at safety/nickel with Sterns out. We can't have two of our three best DBs not out there in practice if we can help it.

Like Herman said, Jake Smith and the walk-ons will be the next men up.

Mach, what’s your gut telling you based on TH remarks and various reporting?  ‘Tweak’ And a ‘roll’ doesn’t sound too bad. We’ve got a couple weeks before LaTech and another week before LSU. Are you hearing anything to think this may be minor?

33 minutes ago, jdhorn92 said:

Mach, what’s your gut telling you based on TH remarks and various reporting?  ‘Tweak’ And a ‘roll’ doesn’t sound too bad. We’ve got a couple weeks before LaTech and another week before LSU. Are you hearing anything to think this may be minor?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Herman has a tendency to underplay injuries at times so I don't really pay attention to anything he says on that front.

• Like 1

Overshown -- apparently back to FULL GO as of first fall camp scrimmage.

Whittington -- rumored groin. Supposedly nothing to worry about.

Ingram -- "tweaked knee." IT thinks it is nothing and that he'll be back by the opener.

Sterns -- "rolled ankle." Again, IT thinks he'll be back by La Tech.

Kirk -- SC sprain. No new news. ETA circa 9/21.

Brown, Floyd -- no change. not expected this year.

23 minutes ago, Machinator said:

EBzI9hTXkAIepeG?format=jpg&name=small

If Sterns can make it back to 100% from this high ankle sprain for game 1, it'll be the first time I've seen a player recover this quickly. Hish ankle sprain is horrible news IMO. 

Edited by Goodman
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Magus Ossis said:

This would be the first time in the history of humanity that these two sentences with both be true. Groin.... Ugh.

• Like 1

The bruise diagnosis on Ingram is good news.

Low-grade high ankle sprain on Sterns isn't great, but it isn't terrible. Average return to play for something like that is typically about 3 weeks. Sounds like Sterns is out for camp but is likely to be back in time to get some practice before LSU.

Agree with phdhorn that groin doesn't sound like a nothing. I haven't seen anything about Whit through official channels, though.

Edited by Magus Ossis

1 hour ago, Goodman said:

If Sterns can make it back to 100% from this high ankle sprain for game 1, it'll be the first time I've seen a player recover this quickly. Hish ankle sprain is horrible news IMO. 

There are different grades of high ankle sprains.  A low grade is not that big of a deal.

On 8/12/2019 at 11:04 AM, Magus Ossis said:

Ingram -- "tweaked knee." IT thinks it is nothing and that he'll be back by the opener.

Sterns -- "rolled ankle." Again, IT thinks he'll be back by La Tech.

Kirk -- SC sprain. No new news. ETA circa 9/21.

Brown, Floyd -- no change. not expected this year.

Just an IT update today THX to @Machinator

RB:

Ingram will be fine for the opener. He and Whittington are participating in the less strenuous portions of practice. Obviously they aren't getting reps in contact work. They're working Whittington back into action slowly. I'm not sure if he'll get any snaps in the scrimmage. I suspect not.

Accordingly, Daniel Young has seen his carries increase with the injuries to his stablemates. I asked how he looks and heard back, "like he always does, he's steady." I mentioned with an improved line, especially behind Cosmi and Braun he should be all right. "Yeah, he'll definitely help push the pile."

Devin Duvernay is the emergency running back. I don't expect any of the walk-ons to see game time.

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Like 1

"Devin Duvernay is the emergency running back. I don't expect any of the walk-ons to see game time."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Freakin' Devin is a "Jack of all trades" ... wonder if he's a candidate to be a captain this season?

• X WR
  • Y WR
  • RB
  • Great blocker
  • Great hands   (knock on wood)

Hope RB injuries go away, and Josh Moore situation gets resolved  (STUPID!!) so Devin can have a great year at WR.  🤘

Edited by LTtxfan

I can't be the only one who doesn't want to see DevDuv toting the rock. He may have speed and sticky hands, but I've never seen shake and bake as part of his repertoire.

Oh, and add Josh Moore to the injury list with dain bramage..apparently. Good thing the receiver room is deep..

On 8/14/2019 at 11:34 AM, Machinator said:

Aug 16th Update from TFB thanks to @sith_horn

Injury Update | Zach Shackelford
– CJ Vogel

For good reason, uneasiness always ensues following the first sight of one of these injury update posts, especially when followed by a name that hasn’t been previously mentioned.

However, that shouldn’t be the case for Texas C Zach Shackelford who found himself out of practice Wednesday morning with a foot sprain.

***A University spokesperson said the sprain is minor and doesn’t expect the team captain to miss much time.  With 17 days remaining before the season opener, Shackelford should be able to fully recover well before kickoff against Louisiana Tech.

For those keeping track at home, Shackelford joins Keaontay Ingram, Kirk Johnson, and Caden Sterns as guys currently nursing some type of injury.

23 minutes ago, Yesh said:

Stable doesn’t rule out a meniscus tear, but tends to mean nothing season-ending.

1 minute ago, westexhorn said:

@Magus Ossis what's your take on DMO's neck sprain?  Are they usually bad?

“Sprain” gets used a little casually to include what some would call “strain.” Sprain technically means injury to a ligament, the link between bones. A neck sprain would thus be a spinal injury and potentially serious. I’m guessing it’s really a strain, though. Pulled muscle of the neck is a pain in the neck but unlikely to make him miss game time unless it is high grade.

• Like 2

Just now, Magus Ossis said:

Stable doesn’t rule out a meniscus tear, but tends to mean nothing season-ending.

“Sprain” gets used a little casually to include what some would call “strain.” Sprain technically means injury to a ligament, the link between bones. A neck sprain would thus be a spinal injury and potentially serious. I’m guessing it’s really a strain, though. Pulled muscle of the neck is a pain in the neck but unlikely to make him miss game time unless it is high grade.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Yesh said:

You can use imaging to determine the grade of a muscle strain?

MRI can show interrupted or elongated fibers and increased signal on T2 when there is edema or hematoma. Grade 1 may not even show up. Grade 2 will have some changes but show at least some fibers in continuity. Grade 3 will look bad.

• Like 1

Rzp24989_bigger.jpg  Will Baizer.   @WillBaizer

Per Texas, redshirt freshman offensive lineman Reese Moore recently aggravated a previous high school knee injury and had arthroscopic surgery to repair it. He is expected to be sidelined for a few weeks as he recovers and rehabilitates from the surgery. #HookEm
10:11 PM · Aug 17, 2019 from Austin, TX

Edited by LTtxfan

On 8/17/2019 at 11:53 AM, Yesh said:

Anybody see an updated injury report correction that Herman misspoke --  Wiley was the TE injured  (Not Liebrock) ??

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Btw:  Overshown has a neck strain 

Correction: Strain not sprain.
12:12 PM · Aug 17, 2019·

Edited by LTtxfan

On 8/19/2019 at 2:24 AM, LTtxfan said:

Anybody see an updated injury report correction that Herman misspoke --  Wiley was the TE injured  (Not Liebrock) ??

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Btw:  Overshown has a neck strain 

Correction: Strain not sprain.
12:12 PM · Aug 17, 2019·

Yep it was Wiley injured...  TFB post Aug 20th:

Injury Update | Overshown, Wiley, & Moore
 Will Baizer

Per Tom Herman, safety DeMarvion Overshown strained his neck in the scrimmage and is getting imaging done on it later today.Texas clarifies that it is Jared Wiley who twisted his knee and not Brayden Liebrock.  Per Texas, redshirt freshman offensive lineman Reese Moore recently aggravated a previous high school knee injury and had arthroscopic surgery to repair it. He is expected to be sidelined for a few weeks as he recovers and rehabilitates from the surgery.

Edited by LTtxfan

Thx to @Machinator for today's update from IT:

Injury Front: 

Brewer received a concussion after a big hit in the team's last heavy contact period (I think over the weekend) and is in concussion protocol. He seems perfectly fine now but protocol is finicky and it's not 100% certain he'll play versus La Tech. We'd guess that he will but don't know that for sure.

We believe DeMarvion Overshown will be back to contact next week. He's been practicing this week but mainly because there has been very little contact.

Also returning will be Keaontay Ingram, Caden Sterns, Derek Kerstetter and Brennan Eagles. Each of these guys will be available versus Louisiana Tech. If they don't play it's to preserve them.

Daniel Young sprained his ankle and his status for the opener is unknown. Hopefully he can go because that's exactly the type of game he should get carries in.

Notes: 

With running back as thin as it is Roschon Johnson has been moved for now. Numbers dictate the need for more alternatives at the position and given his athleticism and toughness he might be able to help. Team player.