2019 Texas injury and illness

Magus Ossis

14 minutes ago, Michael Knight said:

We had 6 guys at RB, how many do you think we need

We came into the season with Ingram, Whittington (converted WR), Young, KJ (hardly even counts). We didn’t have 6 ever. We had two RBs, a true freshman WR convert, and a guy made of glass. 

We’ve had bad luck at the position, but it’s been pretty fucking obvious we need more depth there for over a year now. 

The RB position is basically the inverse of DKR’s quote: bad luck is when lack of preparation meets adversity. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Skipper said:

Yeah but plenty of people have been concerned about this basically from the point we lost the Cain recruitment.   Then it was a massive concern after Derrian Brown.  Horrible luck, no doubt, but also a fuckup to come into fall camp with 4 scholarship RB's, one of which, has never been healthy his entire career.

No doubt. Anyone expecting Kirko to contribute is an eternal optimist.  Brown was completely unexpected and forgivable but he wasn't seen as an early contributor.  Young is a JAG, but he has shown glimpses.  Keontay is a true sophomore that struggled with nagging injuries all of last year.  Whittington was a slot WR that seemed to be a good transition to RB.  

That room was full of hopes and dreams with zero sure things.  More bodies were needed.  Now worst case has happened and we are having a QB play back up RB.  This is one of the reasons I figured 2020 was more likely to be a great year, but this situation could have been recruited around.  It has been a weakness since last signing day and a concern since then for me.  

Not sure how we beat LSU with one RB. Herman will earn his money this week. 

1 minute ago, Tex Long said:

Shaggy Surly complaining about moving Roschon to RB and complaining about not having enough healthy RBs... yep, yep.

We May ending up burning Roschon and Gbenda’s redshirts. That’s not a positive. 

No one is saying Roschon shouldn’t be playing RB right now, given the circumstances, but the position we’re in is due to the staff screwing up RB recruiting last three years. So yeah, I’m glad Roschon looks as good as he does at RB, but if Sam goes down, Roschon becomes our backup QB and we won’t have been practicing him at QB for weeks. 

We’re robbing young, promising talents of reps at their long-term positions. That’s perfectly reasonable to complain about.

7 minutes ago, jinx said:

More bodies were needed.

I tend to agree with this, and it's an easy conclusion to draw when everybody's hurt.

But maybe RoJo was the contingency plan for this all along.  He certainly looked comfortable running the ball Sat night.

The problem is that if Sam goes down, we're asking RoJo to play RB and backup Thompson at QB at the same time.

Edited by TexArcher

We currently have one scholarship RB until October. How on earth would we be able to redshirt Whittington if he’s ready to play in four weeks.
I'm more saying it's pretty clear he isn't going to be ready to play in 4-6 weeks after this injury has lingered since HS. At least not at 100 percent. Healing properly and football activities, even even managing the load like they have, don't appear to be compatible.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

5 minutes ago, jinx said:

Not sure how we beat LSU with one RB.

We beat LSU by exercising scoreboard control. We have at least two RBs: Ingram and RoJo . I suspect we'll see some runs by receivers in motion, and likely at least one or two bits of trickeration, including a pass to Sam.

23 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Ingram - constantly dinged up his freshman year.  Whittington - known groin issue. Young - no significant injury history, this one was just shit luck. Kirk Johnson - made of glass. Brown - suffered stroke.  Ramirez - walk-on given a scholarship in fall camp.  We had "6 guys" in name only.

2 other walk-on RBs too --  Jarrett Smith & Jaren Watkins

What was the final injury report on Jaren Watkins?

Edited by LTtxfan

I think we'll be okay.  Maybe 20 RB carries between Ingram and RoJo.  A handful of runs for Sam.  And mix in some jet sweeps, shovel passes, flanker screens, and so on.  We have a fleet of talented receivers and we should be able to use the passing game like a running game if we need to.

• Like 1

What we must not do is run Ehlinger like the game at the Coliseum.  Winning this game at the expense of sacrificing Ehlinger is stupid.  We shouldn't be in this situation but here we are and we should burn shirts before getting Sam killed.

The flip side of this is will the ogre fall for the banana in the tailpipe?  If he loads the box and insists we attack single coverage over the top, ok, cool.  Hook 'em.

Trying to think of the last time we had to throw from the git-go.  When was the last time Therm or Charlie or Mack had to green-light an air assault because of the overall situation to start a game?  This is the first game in 8 years that we can say we have the O-line protection to make it possible.

/bright side meaning of life

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

What we must not do is run Ehlinger like the game at the Coliseum.  Winning this game at the expense of sacrificing Ehlinger is stupid.  We shouldn't be in this situation but here we are and we should burn shirts before getting Sam killed.

The flip side of this is will the ogre fall for the banana in the tailpipe?  If he loads the box and insists we attack single coverage over the top, ok, cool.  Hook 'em.

Trying to think of the last time we had to throw from the git-go.  When was the last time Therm or Charlie or Mack had to green-light an air assault because of the overall situation to start a game?  This is the first game in 8 years that we can say we have the O-line protection to make it possible.

/bright side meaning of life

It makes more sense to dare us to keep running the ball, and make us figure out how to distribute 40+ carries. Focus on the pass in RPOs and show favorable numbers for runs, and see if we can sustain drives and not wear our runners out.

Edited by lulz

I don’t know how you beat a good defense by being one dimensional. Sam is going to have to Tebow this game if we want any type of run game. 

Texas still has their best RB. It will probably be a 20 plus carry day for Ingram. They did a good job pacing him against LA Tech so I don't think that's unreasonable. 15 carries for Sam. Use the screen game as your defacto outside run game. It's obviously not ideal but it isn't unworkable.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, satyanash said:

This is not 'hindsight', plenty of people have dogged Drayton on this for ages. Even if Derrian Brown hadn't had that freak medical issue, we would still be in a very precarious position at RB.

RBs get injured. A lot. It's not 'bad luck' or 'hindsight', it's the reality of the position. Foreman leaving and Porter turning out to be a bust began the downhill slide at the position.

It is absolutely bad luck. You can't expect DY and Whitt to go down the way they did. Only as part of a worse case scenario - scenarios which generally require the chips to fall the wrong way. 

I don't disagree that the room was thin to start the season - it was one of my main concerns as well. 

It is much easier to make claims about what Drayton or Herman should have done now than it would have been with a fully healthy room. Because, like I commented, we now have the benefit of hindsight. 

Shit, it could potentially be a benefit in disguise - if Roschon turns into a feature back for the next 3 years. Certainly not optimal going into next week, though. 

3 minutes ago, Native Horn said:

Tre Watson is not walking through that door.

Obviously Ingram shoulder's Watsons workload (and more, I don't want Sam to get that many carries). Roschon gives us about 10 carries (which is what Ingram got in the Sugar Bowl). Duvernay/Smith/walk-ons/Gbenda the remainder (4-6).

Edited by Machinator

19 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

We May ending up burning Roschon and Gbenda’s redshirts. That’s not a positive. 

No one is saying Roschon shouldn’t be playing RB right now, given the circumstances, but the position we’re in is due to the staff screwing up RB recruiting last three years. So yeah, I’m glad Roschon looks as good as he does at RB, but if Sam goes down, Roschon becomes our backup QB and we won’t have been practicing him at QB for weeks. 

We’re robbing young, promising talents of reps at their long-term positions. That’s perfectly reasonable to complain about.

Do we really see RoJo as a starting QB down the line? I'm fine with burning his redshirt if he starts averaging 5 yards a carry and learning a different position. 

4 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Do we really see RoJo as a starting QB down the line? I'm fine with burning his redshirt if he starts averaging 5 yards a carry and learning a different position. 

RoJo could develop into a starting QB. If Ehlinger and Casey Thompson return next year, he can redshirt then and learn the QB position more - the RB depth will be much better next year. 

Edited by lulz

1 minute ago, 6th Street said:

Walkon RB turned scholarship guy Mason Ramirez should get some carries.

But yeah Herman ignoring the RB position is Strong-esque

Drayton/Herman deserve some blame for this. We should have took two backs in '18, closed on Cain last year, we picked the wrong back in '17, and a grad transfer would have been nice this year. Just a clusterfuck...

• Like 1

I tend to agree with this, and it's an easy conclusion to draw when everybody's hurt.
But maybe RoJo was the contingency plan for this all along.  He certainly looked comfortable running the ball Sat night.
The problem is that if Sam goes down, we're asking RoJo to play RB and backup Thompson at QB at the same time.

That would be Sam Saxton.

When I saw Whittington limping I said to my friend “looks like the adductor of the pubic symphysis”. Guess I was right.
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, lulz said:

RoJo could develop into a starting QB. If Ehlinger and Casey Thompson return next year, he can redshirt then and learn the QB position more - the RB depth will be much better next year. 

He could - I think Sam's protege is likely not on campus yet. 

But if that is the route we go, then yes he could absolutely shirt next season. 

12 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

The blueprint for LSU shouldn't involve 48 runs and it damn sure shouldn't involve 21 runs by Sam.

This isn't a bowl game with 8 months off afterward.

17 runs vs USC, 19 vs OU in the regular season and 15 in the Big 12 championship game, 15 vs Tech, and so on. 

It wasn't just a "bowl game" blueprint. Ehlinger is one of our best weapons on offense and they used him as such in close/big games. 

10 minutes ago, ztejas said:

You've literally never seen him play QB at UT, but you've already written him off as a QB. Fucking incredible. He was known to be raw as a passer out of HS. It was always going to take time for him to develop.

1 minute ago, Burt Macklin said:

You've literally never seen him play QB at UT, but you've already written him off as a QB. Fucking incredible. He was known to be raw as a passer out of HS. It was always going to take time for him to develop.

calm down and have a drink.  he didn’t write him off.  he was simply saying that because we think he may be a starting qb in a couple years it sucks we have to burn a year of his eligibility at a different position.  

5 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

I'm not writing him off for anything. I'm questioning how valuable his redshirt and QB development would be this season given our current RB room. 

We've had a lot of "raw" passing dual threat QBs come in the doors the past 20 years and only one panned out for us. 

@futureman I don't think it would "suck" if he turns into a decent back - if his true calling is QB post-Sam then he can always shirt next year behind Sam and Casey. 

Edited by ztejas

Hand-wringing over redshirts is flat-out dumb.

The only applicable criteria, far's I'm concerned, are (1) is he physically capable, and (2) is he mentally capable? If the answers to both are "yes", then he plays if needed. Period. 

I get the "leaving for NFL ASAP" part as a default "yes", but... it's really a question of capability. And the new, improved "play four games without using eligibility" rule colors the decision somewhat, but it's still down to "can he" and "do we need him to" play.

• Like 1

Minor aside: Google "William Meyers", and the first hit you'll get is a $3.34 million medical malpractice suit against him for a botched groin surgery on a soccer player O_O

https://www.myphillylawyer.com/2014/07/18/3-34-million-med-mal-verdict-awarded-to-former-athlete/

He now holds shop at the Vincera Institute (Hahnemann Hospital, where Meyers practiced at the time, just closed down a couple of months ago). He performs a lot of core muscle surgeries for NFL players.

Edited by satyanash

8 minutes ago, futureman said:

calm down and have a drink.  he didn’t write him off.  he was simply saying that because we think he may be a starting qb in a couple years it sucks we have to burn a year of his eligibility at a different position.  

He literally said he doesn't see him starting at QB and he's fine with him learning a new position. How is that not writing him off as QB, exactly?

But you do make a good point. I should have a drink. Later Surly. 

7 minutes ago, ztejas said:

I'm not writing him off for anything. I'm questioning how valuable his redshirt and QB development would be this season given our current RB room. 

We've had a lot of "raw" passing dual threat QBs come in the doors the past 20 years and only one panned out for us. 

That's kind of the whole fucking point. Given our RB room, it make sense to move him there this year and burn his redshirt, but it's not a positive that we're doing so and taking away a whole season of practice reps at QB for a guy who really needs the reps to develop. 

Herman and Beck can develop dual threat QBs. The last twenty years are irrelevant because we had different coaches.