2019 Texas injury and illness

Magus Ossis

I remember one of our LBs converting to RB, Winfred Tubbs?  I seem to vaguely remember him getting some big plays.
so I say, I Gbenda you Gbenda, it’s all going to be Gbenda alright!
Tubbs went from RB to LB... he got too big to stay at RB... and he was much better at LB.
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Snacks said:
21 hours ago, Domedriver said:
I remember one of our LBs converting to RB, Winfred Tubbs?  I seem to vaguely remember him getting some big plays.
so I say, I Gbenda you Gbenda, it’s all going to be Gbenda alright!

Tubbs went from RB to LB... he got too big to stay at RB... and he was much better at LB.

Can you say Henry Melton? Chris Whaley? I knew you could.

17 minutes ago, Domedriver said:

Didn’t Earl play some Linebacker?

I think I remember Darrell putting him at linebacker in a goal-line defense against blO-U one time, but I can't find any documentation (and I looked) so it probably didn't happen. Most likely I'm wrong. I'm wrong a lot these days. I even think we can beat LSU . . .

Earl playing defense is the kind of anecdote that would look good in an Earl story, so I'm guessing it never happened.

3 minutes ago, Tex Long said:

Earl? Back in HS, he was easily the best LB in the state - besides being the best RB anywhere... I think he did get some LB snaps here and there.

I assumed we were talking about CFB. In high school, he was too good to take off the field; in college too valuable to risk his knees to a crackback cheap shot by some asshole blO-U or aggy wide receiver. 

10 minutes ago, Domedriver said:

Check his High-school record and his recruiting.

The thing I remember most about Earl's recruitment is this:

“He looked right straight at me, and he said, ‘Coach, my people were bought and sold when they didn’t have a choice. There ain’t nobody gonna buy Earl Campbell.’ ”

Darrell Royal

https://people.com/archive/if-earl-campbell-does-win-the-heisman-it-wont-be-for-the-gipper-but-for-mom-vol-8-no-23/

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Sock Drawer said:

Apologies in advance for bringing this asshole's name up anywhere in the vicinity of Earl, but that acknowledged cocksucker, Barry Switzer is reported to have said that Earl Campbell was the greatest football player he ever saw.  

Waitafuckinminute! Is South Austin's mom Lacewell's ex? SA is Barry Junior? 

3 minutes ago, mdmost said:

There are reports that a serious injury has occurred to a Texas defensive player. We have no idea who it is and are going to run this even though it will lead to rampant speculation because we have to get our credit for being the first to "report it". 

While every player's family freaks the fuck out, just like when Watkins got stretchered off in practice and they "scooped" the team announcement without saying who the player was.

• Like 1

On 9/4/2019 at 4:01 PM, Sock Drawer said:

I think I remember Darrell putting him at linebacker in a goal-line defense against blO-U one time, but I can't find any documentation (and I looked) so it probably didn't happen. Most likely I'm wrong. I'm wrong a lot these days. I even think we can beat LSU . . .

Earl playing defense is the kind of anecdote that would look good in an Earl story, so I'm guessing it never happened.

Earl had a brother who was a linebacker I think.  Also, I am virtually certain that in the 1975 Bluebonnet bowl (UT beat Colorado) that DKR put Earl in on punt defense and he blocked and recovered a punt.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, texifornia said:

While Owens is going to eat Rice alive, I'm terrified of Gundy scheming against a crowd of freshmen in our backfield

Not to minimize the losses, but Gundy has already embarassed pretty much the exact secondary we'd be trotting out even with Overshown and Foster so it isn't like that wasn't already going to be an issue. Next man up, at least it happened with some time to prep.

3 hours ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

Earl had a brother who was a linebacker I think.  Also, I am virtually certain that in the 1975 Bluebonnet bowl (UT beat Colorado) that DKR put Earl in on punt defense and he blocked and recovered a punt.

Earl had twin brothers at Texas with him, Steve and Tim.  Tim played defensive end and got quite a bit of playing time.  Steve was a backup running back and didn't get many calls.   All of them were extremely pleasant, humble guys.  Just looking at that 77 roster reminds me how talent rich that team was.  

Earl also was put in to block either a PAT or field goal in his last aggy game.  I'm pretty sure he blocked it.