2019 Texas injury and illness

Magus Ossis

4 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

Isn't the injury that's been bothering him the knee? He missed spring practices with a "minor knee procedure" and I think it was a knee injury during fall camp too. 

I'm no doctor but this doesn't sound like a new injury. Just a reoccurring problem that keeps bothering him and they're shutting him down for a few weeks. Probably should have happened earlier. 

https://www.hookem.com/2019/03/26/caden-sterns-b-j-foster-sidelined-as-injuries-pile-up-in-texas-secondary/

He sustained a high-ankle sprain in fall camp.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Machinator said:

Those are a beating.  Myself.  Both my kids.  Too many sports players I support over the years to count.  Just a monumental PITA that linger for weeks and sometimes months (and this is After being cleared to play).   

1 minute ago, Machinator said:

that's right. The knee procedure was during spring practices but I think that's been a big issue for him going all the way back to last year. It was a knee injury that kept him out of the OU game and bowl game last year. 

https://thespun.com/big-12/texas-longhorns/injury-update-for-texas-safety-caden-sterns

Just now, Richter said:

When is Whittington expected back?  

Also, I was out of the country for the Rice game and missed it, but watching the highlights I thought I saw Danny Young.  Did he play that game?  I didn't see him vs OSU... What's his status?

Danny Young played against Rice. He's healthy again.

Nobody knows on Whittington. Best-case scenario is OU.

DBs are going to continue to get hurt. Texas has moved to a base dime so they're the majority of players on the field. The DL is asked to hold up blockers to free up the speedy back end to make plays, so essentially the DBs are 3/4ths of the eight guys that will make the vast majority of tackles. That means, as a position group, they're taking a lot more hits than most secondaries. They're asked to do a lot in the run game and in terms of blitzing, which often means taking on significantly larger guys. There also isn't a lightning fast Gary Johnson or Malik Jefferson cleaning evrything up behind the DL. Not knocking the system but it will continue to be an issue.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Machinator said:

https://247sports.com/college/texas/Article/Texas-Longhorns-injury-update-Josh-Thompson-out-Jalen-Green-out-Caden-Sterns-injury-136003085/

From Taylor Estes. 8-10 weeks for Josh Thompson (essentially a season-ender) and a month for Jalen Green. Still waiting on Sterns' MRI.

Good to hear on Green. Losing him for longer would’ve really hurt. Sucks to not have Green for OU and Thompson gone for the year, but DB aid the one spot we can handle a bunch of injuries.

1 hour ago, texasstrong12 said:

Especially coupled with the Overshown/Foster news. Getting them back for WV would be earlier than expected. 

I’d rather not play either against WVU. Save them for OU.

i hope we keep Jones at Nickel and let Foster play Joker for the rest of the year. Let Sterns/Brown play deep safety with Estel coming in if either get hurt. 

Foster’s way more effective at Joker than Nickel and Jones has held up pretty well at Nickel. I also like the idea of Jones and Foster each covering outside runs to the two sides of the field. If those were the guys in position to tackle Sanders near the sidelines last week, we probably do a lot better against the QB run game. Same goes for Hurts in a few weeks. I want Foster free to shadow Hurts instead of being stuck covering a shifty slot receiver.

1 hour ago, Richter said:

When is Whittington expected back?  

Also, I was out of the country for the Rice game and missed it, but watching the highlights I thought I saw Danny Young.  Did he play that game?  I didn't see him vs OSU... What's his status?

Young’s healthy. He’s just third string right now.

8 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

Who are the backup corners if one or both of Jamison or Boyce go down?  I'm assuming it's Watson and Duvernay

Probably Cook then Watson. Duvernay is really bad. We would’ve moved Thompson to outside CB before Duv but now he’s out. We can probably only sustain one more injury at outside CB until Green gets back before it falls off a cliff, and that’s compared to our current shitty level of CB play.

Edited by Burt Macklin
  • Like 3

As soon as I saw the green play I knew it and called that separation that sucker was full tilt. Brutal. Just brutal and snake bit. We will be down to 2-3rd stringers for a tough part of our schedule.  Overshown is basically Kirk Johnson so I don’t see him playing st all.  Time to give the youngins considerable game experience e

7 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

i hope we keep Jones at Nickel and let Foster play Joker for the rest of the year. Let Sterns/Brown play deep safety with Estel coming in if either get hurt. 

Yeah, I've been having this discussion on twitter. Jones looked really good at Nickel especially in that inverted tampa 2 that Orlando was running against OK State. 

Without Sterns not sure what they do though. If Foster and Overshown are back my guess is they move Jones back to safety. I think it's dependent on their confidence in Estell at safety. Jones at Nickel and Foster at Joker is tasty though. Might be worth the risk to see if Estell is ready at safety. 

Edited by texasstrong12

1 minute ago, texasstrong12 said:

Yeah, I've been having this discussion on twitter. Jones looked really good at Nickel especially in that inverted tampa 2 that Orlando was running against OK State. 

Without Sterns not sure what they do though. If Foster and Overshown are back my guess is they move Jones back to safety. I think it's dependent on their confidence in Estell at safety. Jones at Nickel and Foster at Joker is tasty though. Might be worth the risk to see if Estell is ready at safety. 

The staff doesn’t seem to fully trust Overshown yet, so I’d prefer Estell at deep safety with Foster at Joker and Jones at Nickel. The other option is drop Jones back to boundary and put Foster at Nickel with Overshown/a 3rd LB. with Mitchell coming on, I wouldn’t mind a third LB against teams like KSU. Hopefully that would free up Ossai to rush the passer more.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

I wouldn’t mind a third LB against teams like KSU. Hopefully that would free up Ossai to rush the passer more.

True. Speaking of which this is a good read based on the discussions of inverted tampa 2/pass rush/etc for anyone interested. I think with injuries and issues at corner we're gonna be seeing a lot more of this. 

http://sportstreatise.com/2019/05/what-about-jack-can-texas-and-iowa-state-re-integrate-a-pass-rusher-into-the-inverted-tampa-2/

"The cost of building a legitimate three-safety defense was in sacrificing a piece up front. Both teams essentially traded out having four full time DL/pass rush players and would often lean on four and five man blitzes when they wanted to get pressure. The trade was worth it. As Belichik shows regularly in the NFL you’re better off making sure you cover first and then manufacture pressure as needed."

Genuine question here, since I don't see his name coming up often... What position does Chris Brown usually play? I think Jones, Brown, and Foster should be on the field nearly every snap if they're healthy.

Brown has been fantastic this year & seems to always be around the football. He always lets his instincts take over and is typically a "right place, right time" kind of guy.

3 hours ago, Machinator said:

https://247sports.com/college/texas/Article/Texas-Longhorns-injury-update-Josh-Thompson-out-Jalen-Green-out-Caden-Sterns-injury-136003085/

From Taylor Estes. 8-10 weeks for Josh Thompson (essentially a season-ender) and a month for Jalen Green. Still waiting on Sterns' MRI.

On the bright side, this might force Orlando to scheme to protect his secondary more. On the not so bright side, Kobe Boyce is inevitably going to find himself on an island versus ceedee lamb at some point in a few weeks, and that does not make me happy. 

30 minutes ago, Mason Ramsey said:

Genuine question here, since I don't see his name coming up often... What position does Chris Brown usually play? I think Jones, Brown, and Foster should be on the field nearly every snap if they're healthy.

Brown has been fantastic this year & seems to always be around the football. He always lets his instincts take over and is typically a "right place, right time" kind of guy.

At the start of the year, it was:

Field Safety: Sterns

Boundary: Jones

Nickel: Foster

Joker: Brown.

My preference moving forward would be:

FS: Sterns (Estell as replacement)

BS: Brown

Nickel: Jones

Joker: Foster

3 hours ago, gmr548 said:

. There also isn't a lightning fast Gary Johnson or Malik Jefferson cleaning evrything up behind the DL. Not knocking the system but it will continue to be an issue.

Nice insight.     What is the answer at LB  ?      In his limited PT,   Mitchell seems to be all over the field.     Small, but aggressive. 

Edited by torre

One of the flaws of our 3 DL look is that we don't have edge guys to... well, set the edge. So we rely on smaller, more fragile DBs to routinely take on blockers much bigger than them. Last year in particular, B.J. Foster got eaten alive trying to set the edge against Okie Lite, he was just too small.

Wonder if that contributes to all the DB injuries.

Nice insight.     What is the answer at LB  ?      In his limited PT,   Mitchell seems to be all over the field.     Small, but aggressive. 

I mean, I'm not saying another LB is the "answer," or that LB play has been particularly bad. Ossai looks like the best defensive player on the roster and Shark has been fine for the most part. I'm just saying there isn't necessarily that sideline to sideline presence in the roster that can make a lot of the plays MJ and GJ could on thre edge from the LB spot, and that void is being filled by DBs. When you trot out six DBs out of 11 defenders, two of which have significant first line run defense responsibilities and many of which are utilized to create pressure on the QB, of course you're going to see the most injuries in that group. This is why they take 4-5 DBs per class.

Especially knowing that the front five can can beat most OL units in this conference, I think six DBs is the right move when you know your secondary is young, prone to big plays, and you can somewhat offset that with more speed on the field without sacrificing run defense. I think you lean more 3-3-5 vs TCU and Kansas, maybe KSU too. Otherwise, between the QB/skill talent in this league and the ability to effectively defend the run with five DL/LBs on the field, I'll take that sixth DB.

• Like 1

One of the flaws of our 3 DL look is that we don't have edge guys to... well, set the edge. So we rely on smaller, more fragile DBs to routinely take on blockers much bigger than them. Last year in particular, B.J. Foster got eaten alive trying to set the edge against Okie Lite, he was just too small.

In my opinion that's a big factor, aside from it being a sheer numbers game. Asking 200lb guys to do a 230lb guy's job can have that effect. Some of it is bad luck for sure, is what it is. I still think 3-2-6 is the right move.

15 hours ago, satyanash said:

15 hours ago, gmr548 said:

In my opinion that's a big factor, aside from it being a sheer numbers game. Asking 200lb guys to do a 230lb guy's job can have that effect. Some of it is bad luck for sure, is what it is. I still think 3-2-6 is the right move.

None of the DB injuries (other than maybe Overshown who seems to be made of glass so far) were caused by asking them to do anything near the LOS. Sterns, Green, and Thompson aren’t asked to do anything out of the ordinary for a DB in any system and BJ Foster’s injury was a hamstring pull. It’s just been bad luck so far. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, satyanash said:

Don't know about a three man line causing db injuries,  but I agree that a 3 man line make it easier for the offense to get the edge.  

31 minutes ago, Laga4 said:

Don't know about a three man line causing db injuries,  but I agree that a 3 man line make it easier for the offense to get the edge.  

Except the offense wasn’t getting to the edge for OSU on Saturday. The defensive gameplan actually worked great. The 3 DL set up was still too much for OSU’s supposedly good OL, and the back 8 contained and controlled for much of the game. The biggest issue, by far, was the two muffed punts. Texas basically held OSU’s offense, in its natural form, to two tds. The ST fuckups wreck the perception though. 

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Except the offense wasn’t getting to the edge for OSU on Saturday. The defensive gameplan actually worked great. The 3 DL set up was still too much for OSU’s supposedly good OL, and the back 8 contained and controlled for much of the game. The biggest issue, by far, was the two muffed punts. Texas basically held OSU’s offense, in its natural form, to two tds. The ST fuckups wreck the perception though. 

This is the correct answer. The defense might have missed a few assignments, but overall, they played very well. Graham, Roach, and Coburn were dominant from the 3 man front, and pushed the OSU OLine into their own backfield all night. Hubbard is probably the fastest back we will see all year and he only turned the corner 1 time (the 10 yd TD late in the game). The QB run is what hurt us in the 2nd half, and we just need to clean up the missed tackles in those situations. Overall, this was a great game plan and very good execution. This game probably should have been more like 45-14, but our Special Teams sucked ass through a straw on several occasions.

16 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

It cracked me up to come back from that game and see the contingent of idoits on this board calling for Orlando to be fired, saying we need a 4 man line, or, only 2 weeks after Orlando lost his mind blitzing LSU every play and getting burned, calling for Orlando to bring more pressure. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

It cracked me up to come back from that game and see the contingent of idoits on this board calling for Orlando to be fired, saying we need a 4 man line, or, only 2 weeks after Orlando lost his mind blitzing LSU every play and getting burned, calling for Orlando to bring more pressure. 

It’s clear Orlando adjusted. I don’t know if that was because of injuries, the realization our corners needed some help, or Wallace. 

I hope it continues. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I think I'm going to start a thread, "Things you've heard in game threads". My favorite from the OSU game was someone saying "We won't make a bowl game with this defense!!". I think we were up 14-6 at the time in the second quarter. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

55 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Can someone point me to a summary of, say, our 3-deep in August and how many guys have missed games (or will miss games)?  This seems to be an extraordinary year, even for us.

You must have forgotten 2014 when we were down to Tyrone Swoopes and a bunch of wet paper bags in front of him. 

2 hours ago, Red Five said:

I think I'm going to start a thread, "Things you've heard in game threads". My favorite from the OSU game was someone saying "We won't make a bowl game with this defense!!". I think we were up 14-6 at the time in the second quarter. 

Even considering everything that happened (the fumbled punt in the first half, the offense going Greg Davis playing not to lose in the 4th quarter) the game was 36-23 when we get the ball back and essentially end the game. Instead we lose our minds and field a punt doing a slide tackle that resulted in another Oklahoma State TD. 

If you were told we would give up 23 points including spotting them the ball on the 10 yard line you would take that all day. The defense played great. 

defense was a classic bend/don't break strategy that actually worked.  yards were given up but fgs were forced and a few key stops were had in a ddition to a couple of turnovers.  that's a winning formula, particularly in the big 12 and with our offense.  they scored 2 of their 3 tds on fucking special teams (including one of the dumbest plays i have ever seen in 35 years of watching college football from a senior after gundy conceded the game).  their other td came after our ill-advised turnover on downs in which momentum was sucked out of the building.  the two fourth down stops at the end of the 3rd capping an 11 play drive for osu and beginning of the 4th after sam's pick were the game winners.

20 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Hell, I hope both Collin and Kirko are held out until the blOU game... want both suited up for their last RRR...  

Thx for below tweet @Machinator

5othnHBL_normal.jpg   Kaelen Jones@kaelenjones

Herman said that RB Kirk Johnson (shoulder) is on track to be cleared ahead of West Virginia game.

I forgot, slept thru or whatever Halley's Comet...  I feel like I can make up for it by watching Kirko get some carries this year.

you put a returner so that the punting team has to at least respect the possibility that a return will occur meaning the punter can't just completely unload too shallow, they have to shed their blocks and work down the field.  moreover, the okie state punter had sucked shit through a straw the whole night with short punts so we needed someone back their to wave off guys with their backs turned to the ball (again, why even have them going downfield in that situation) to avoid an inadvertant muffed punt.  instead, our fourth year senior five star recruit decided to go jackie robinson sliding into home plate for no god damned good reason which almost caused me to end up divorced at the end of the night.  i would say that the stupidity with which we operated in the fourth quarter of that game could never possibly be matched but mullet did his damndest as well...

12 minutes ago, Red Five said:

I'm sure this has been discussed to death other places, but why did we even have a returner back there on that punt? There was no need to field it. The game was over. 

We all get a neg or two eventually, so here goes nothing...

Craig Curry & Turn the Page Fred say Hello!

• Like 1