• Malcolm Roach....       ???
  • Brandon Jones....        leg injury
  • D. Jamison......             stinger
  • Daniel Young......          high ankle sprain

Edited by LTtxfan
spelling
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, MirrOlure said:

Seems like with knee injuries the immediate pain/severity of injury relationship can be inverted...yeah, grasping at straws but hopefully that’s the case with Stearns

You cannot guess at a knee injury based on pain. And I’ve seen plenty. Even an initial exam just after injury can miss pathology, especially if knee is swelling quickly.

58 minutes ago, Newdoc said:

You cannot guess at a knee injury based on pain. And I’ve seen plenty. Even an initial exam just after injury can miss pathology, especially if knee is swelling quickly.

Truth.  I am a somewhat fat 40 something dad and hurt my knee playin soccer with my girls last Saturday.   I couldn't bend it for 4 days without intense pain. MRI showed bruised bone and I think it will be better in another week or two.  I am still shocked I didn’t tear something given how much pain I was in.

1 minute ago, Druggist said:

Truth.  I am a somewhat fat 40 something dad and hurt my knee playin soccer with my girls last Saturday.   I couldn't bend it for 4 days without intense pain. MRI showed bruised bone and I think it will be better in another week or two.  I am still shocked I didn’t tear something given how much pain I was in.

Same.  I hurt mine 6 months ago.  I was convinced I’d torn every ligament I had.  I had previously torn the other one in college.  Pain was awful.  I couldn’t get in and out of a car without extreme pain.  They drained it and did an MRI.  Nothing but a bone bruise.  Was back to jogging in 4-5 days.  

4 hours ago, Newdoc said:

How many could you have seen given you're new at this? I'd like a second opinion. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, texifornia said:

Hadn't thought about that. Awesome for him, he's a maximum effort dude, even if he's not always 100% sure where to be.

on one play, either a 3rd or 4th down short yardage run. thompson absolutely detonated a pulling offensive lineman of the pokes. launched his bitchass backwards like 3 yards. 

dude is a physical beast. sucks to lose him.

i am trying to remember a more depleted unit now as i see what 3 safeties and 2 dbs down? wtf? oh wait, the rb room thats right.

i get the physical shit and all and its obvious our team is fucking physical now but got damn. not having sterns out there will be hard on the D. his range in coverage is great, even if his angles on tackling aint. he played his all off hurt saturday night

2 hours ago, staboner said:

on one play, either a 3rd or 4th down short yardage run. thompson absolutely detonated a pulling offensive lineman of the pokes. launched his bitchass backwards like 3 yards. 

dude is a physical beast. sucks to lose him.

i am trying to remember a more depleted unit now as i see what 3 safeties and 2 dbs down? wtf? oh wait, the rb room thats right.

i get the physical shit and all and its obvious our team is fucking physical now but got damn. not having sterns out there will be hard on the D. his range in coverage is great, even if his angles on tackling aint. he played his all off hurt saturday night

Estell had a nice game and looks like he will step up at safety

• Like 1

17 hours ago, DreadHead said:

Caden Sterns is getting an MRI, but looking at his face when he was on the cart... I'm worried. 

Dude plays so hard and lights out, I sincerely hope it isn't something serious. 

I'm hoping it's just the lingering injury that's been bothering him.

The only thing that gives me hope with Sterns is I don't think it was an injury from that individual play. He was banged up the play before he had to be carted off. He was slow to get up and tried to power through it. Matter of fact, he was banged up several times in that game. 

I'm hoping it was just one of those he "was banged up throughout the game" type ordeals and needs a few weeks to recover. 

Edited by texasstrong12

6 hours ago, staboner said:

The RB room isn't depleted anymore. Ingram looks healthy, Roschon looks legit at RB, Young is back, and Kirk Johnson is back. I'm assuming Kirk Johnson is back based on the fact he was going through pregame warm ups. 

Assuming Collin Johnson is back we're as about as healthy as we could be on offense. The injuries are almost all on defense. 

A bruised bone? Rub some dirt on it, pussy! If there’s no structural damage then there’s no reason why you can’t get back out there and start some passing circles. And make sure to trap the ball and make sure everyone kicks with the sides of their feet!

17 minutes ago, Eskimohorn said:

A bruised bone? Rub some dirt on it, pussy! If there’s no structural damage then there’s no reason why you can’t get back out there and start some passing circles. And make sure to trap the ball and make sure everyone kicks with the sides of their feet!

I thought you kicked with your toes towards any face to create a little pre-CTE in young kids???

16 hours ago, Druggist said:

16 hours ago, Johnny Sack said:

Same.  I hurt mine 6 months ago.  I was convinced I’d torn every ligament I had.  I had previously torn the other one in college.  Pain was awful.  I couldn’t get in and out of a car without extreme pain.  They drained it and did an MRI.  Nothing but a bone bruise.  Was back to jogging in 4-5 days.  

The average fat 40-year old doesn't need an MRI when his knee hurts, swells, and feels like it is giving out. Usually he has exacerbated some arthritis, and the MRI will either be unrevealing or will lead the unwary down a path of acute meniscal pathology when they should be thinking degenerative (arthritis). If one's knee swells really big within 30 or so minutes of injury and/or he starts having painful pops and/or locking up short of full extension (straightening), an MRI may still be appropriate for someone in his demographic. The X-rays that a lot of people order before going on to MRI in such situations are typically "negative" because (1) The radiologist is looking for acute injury like a fracture instead of arthritis, (2) the degree of arthritis needed to cause such problems is not dramatic on X-ray, and (3) the X-rays are usually done in these cases without the patient's standing and bearing weight on the limb of interest. The signal change some radiologists are tempted to call contusion (which would be a logical acute change) is actually (at least partially, and possibly essentially completely) a chronic finding. 

Here is an MRI image of someone with acute subchondral edema ("bone bruise"). Note the subtle vertically oriented band of white right in the middle of the picture.

Spoiler

10.1177_1941738110377745-fig1.jpg

Here is an MRI image of someone with arthritis. Ignore the arrow-- the finding of interest to us is the patchy white in the large, central, curved dark area.

Spoiler

nihms562656f7.jpg

MRI is significantly over-utilized in middle-aged people with acute knee pain. Not everyone is going to turn out merely to have "tweaked" a 40-year-old joint, but the overwhelming majority will. Disclaimer: I am not diagnosing or recommending a treatment plan for any specific person here.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Eskimohorn said:

it is soccer we're talking about here

spacer.png

The secondary is a walking wounded. Still plenty of talent, though Cook and Jamison need to step up now. I thought Boyce played reasonably well against OSU. Couple of PBUs where he just threw his arms up in the air while trailing the WR, which while not ideal, is better than not having his hands up while trailing the WR.

Adimora made a few plays at the NB position. Foster should be back, hopefully by OU, then you Foster, Brown, and Jones at safety.

2 minutes ago, horngrad03 said:

Could have been much worse I suppose but not much.  Looks like we get some defenders back for the bulk of the season.  However, we'll obviously be without them for our toughest offensive opponent.  Shit. 

Losing those guys for OU sucks but that game was always going to be a shootout anyways. Offense better be ready to score like they did last year. My hope is the injuries get Herman out of this conservative mindset at the end of games. Try and drop 50 on these teams. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

Losing those guys for OU sucks but that game was always going to be a shootout anyways. Offense better be ready to score like they did last year. My hope is the injuries get Herman out of this conservative mindset at the end of games. Try and drop 50 on these teams. 

Obligatory.

• Like 7

7 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Isn't the injury that's been bothering him the knee? He missed spring practices with a "minor knee procedure" and I think it was a knee injury during fall camp too. 

I'm no doctor but this doesn't sound like a new injury. Just a reoccurring problem that keeps bothering him and they're shutting him down for a few weeks. Probably should have happened earlier. 

https://www.hookem.com/2019/03/26/caden-sterns-b-j-foster-sidelined-as-injuries-pile-up-in-texas-secondary/

Edited by texasstrong12
  • Like 1