Car damage caused by roadside mower

I was driving to work a couple weeks ago and when passing by a roadside mower, I heard a very loud bang on the side of my car.  When I got to work, I inspected my car for damage but couldn't identify any.  Last night after going through the car wash, I found the impact area.  It was near the edge of a window, so it was difficult to notice except for the fact that the metal under the exposed chip has started superficial rusting.

Am I fucked or would my insurance be able to make a claim against the state (presuming it was their mowing crew)?  From a quick online search, it sounds like it wouldn't be covered under uninsured motorist coverage as the damage wasn't caused by another vehicle.  In that case, it would likely be a comprehensive claim... Any insight into this?

TxDot will probably pass the buck to the contractor as I think they contract out most of that sort of work.  Assuming it was on a state highway right of way.   Most of the larger cities probably do the same.

Similar thing happened to one of my vehicles when it got hit by a temporary construction sign that was blown on to the hood of my wife's car  during a high wind event while traveling down a busy city street.   Darn thing damaged the windshield and put a nice dent in the hood.   My insurance covered the cost minus my deductible and I filed a claim with contractor who was in charge of the signs and of course they denied it.    I should have taken them to small claims court to try to recoup my deductible , but I didn't due to lack of time on my part and the fact we should have called the police right after it occurred to have it on record to back up my claim that these ass clowns didn't properly secure the sign to account for possible windy conditions which are quite common down here.  

6 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Your car rusted that fast ?  Where do you live, in a salt mine ?

The Woodlands.  I think I went through the car wash twice since that happened, which may have expedited the oxidation.  I'll take it by the body shop next week to have them touch up the paint.

NM, just found a Subaru touch up pen thingy for $20 online in my color.  Comes with a slightly abrasive side to clean it up before touching it up.  Should do the trick.  Fingers crossed.

Edited by hopkinsnhorns
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, hopkinsnhorns said:

The Woodlands.  I think I went through the car wash twice since that happened, which may have expedited the oxidation.  I'll take it by the body shop next week to have them touch up the paint.

NM, just found a Subaru touch up pen thingy for $20 online in my color.  Comes with a slightly abrasive side to clean it up before touching it up.  Should do the trick.  Fingers crossed.

We're all counting on you.

• Like 1

Driving by a muni golf course once I saw a golf ball hit in the road, take a big bounce, and nailed my truck in the hood.  Massive dent.  Being that I was not a golfer at that point in my life, I drove immediately to the pro shop.  I'm pretty sure they were laughing their asses off when I left after they told me there was nothing they could do.

• Like 2