MLBs Toughest Milestones and Records

pacman

Do you all think 300 wins will be the toughest/least likely milestone we will see reached by future players? Pitchers just don't seem to log enough innings/games to reach this lond standing milestone.

For records, will the hit streak be considered the toughest? Any record that requires longevity in the game seems safe but the consecutive games with a hit appears to be untouchable.

Just an interesting discussion. Those two immediately stood out to me.

I'd never predict it, but I could see a pitcher breaking the single-game strikeout record. There are a lot of bad hitters around. But history proves it takes a special blend of pitcher dominance and other factors to approach the 20 mark...not to mention the fact current managers aren't inclined to let a guy go anywhere near enough pitches to challenge the record. Still...possible.  

The record for most pitches in a single game is debatable since the stat doesn't go back to the real old days, but Joe Hatten threw 211 pitches in 12 2/3 innings for the Giants against the Dodgers.  I remember Nolan threw around 200 pitches in an extra inning game for the Astros back in the day as well.  No one will come anywhere close to these numbers unless the manager wants to get sued for abuse.

Edited by Fudge Nuggets

On 4/3/2018 at 2:01 PM, X-Wing @Aliciousness said:

Feel free to correct me, but I heard that the last player to have 10 wins and 10 HRs in the same season was Babe Ruth. 

People think Shohei Otani is a good applicant to reach that feat

9 wins and 8 hr's left

On 4/4/2018 at 11:58 AM, Escapedgoat said:

Pete Rose Hits.

This is what I was going to say. Pete Rose had a 24-year career with a lifetime average of .303. He had a 200+ hit season when he was 38.

Forget about it. 

Starting this season, Altuve would need to average 176 hits/season until age 45 just to tie Pete Rose.

8 minutes ago, Grandioso said:

Starting this season, Altuve would need to average 176 hits/season until age 45 just to tie Pete Rose.

That's very doable, especially if he continues getting 200 hits/season for next 8-10 years.

And it's even more doable if he were named a player-manager and he kept writing his name in near the top of the order every day even though he was hitting like he was swinging a wet newspaper.

On ‎4‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 3:33 PM, David Dennison said:

DiMaggio's hit streak is safe as a kitten.

I can't imagine the media hype machine if somebody ever got back to a 40+ game hit streak. We'd all be rooting for the dude to go 0 for 5 so we wouldn't have to hear about it anymore. If they broke the record, those ~3 weeks would be brutal.

Cy Young's record of 749 complete games seems safe.

Sabathia leads active players with 38CG's, but will really have to pick up the pace to catch Young.  

not a milestone but a feat that might be hard to equal - getting a hit for two different teams in two different cities on the same day.

Joel Youngblood - August 4, 1982.  Mets and Expos.

http://www.bleachernation.com/baseballisfun/2017/08/04/exactly-35-years-ago-joel-youngblood-got-hits-for-two-teams-in-two-cities-on-the-same-day/