Westworld Season 3 - Robots Gone Wild

Mileslong

Who is going to end up with Delos? Do they have the key for entry? Somebody is being chased by someone because the guy with the key has been kidnapped. Gotta keep moving. A big sphere knows the future. 

There's a phantom menace somewhere in here! So much going on and so very little I give a shit about. The writers seem to think that they are way smarter than they actually are. 

The phantom interest. My interest became phantom about half way through the show tonight. We turned to something else. 

• Haha 1

I started watching this at 11.  I made it to the twenty two minute mark before I just hit pause and pulled up a few reviews/recaps.  Finished it out that way and don't feel that I missed anything.  The reviewers were as bored as I was.  

Only three episodes left.  I'll probably just "watch" the rest of the season via reviews.  It's how I ended my Walking Dead run.

• Like 1

Per these writers, the rich motherfuckers who run the world are just one click away from being dead broke and or just plain dead. Well that makes them not so fucking smart or interesting. Any fucking guy that rich would be surrounded by his own loyal bodyguards and nobody would be walking through their front door to do whatever to them. At some point, the originators realized that HBO was going to ruin this series and walked away. Maybe they gave the head creative job to somebody's nephew or lover. In any case, their view of this complex world is wholly myopic.

And don't get me started on that pathetic car chase scene. WTF? There's no traffic on the roads and the cars are going 10mph. (What an amazing futuristic fucking world. How bout one where every fucking car is going 100mph, you know, because they're all controlled by the Superbrain?) How interesting would it be to see that kind of car chase? Or that kind of car go from 80mph to a dead stop in seconds to let off its passengers at a futuristic whore house? Still, Caleb, with the rocket launcher can't get a clean shot. And when he sees that one of the bullets went clean thru Dolores, and presumably hit him, where does that go? What a crock of shit.

Edited by Irish Wrist Watch

I didn't like this episode either, but mostly because it was themed and centered around a lame drug experience that did nothing at all but muck and lame the episode up. It was really, really dumb and I get that they were trying to do something really neat structurally and thematically but it just didn't work.

Also, is that Marshawn Lynch?

8 hours ago, Rougarou said:

I didn't like this episode either, but mostly because it was themed and centered around a lame drug experience that did nothing at all but muck and lame the episode up. It was really, really dumb and I get that they were trying to do something really neat structurally and thematically but it just didn't work.

Also, is that Marshawn Lynch?

Yes it was Marshawn. 

Agree that the drug experience didn’t work well. Which is especially bad when you compare it to the Watchmen episode with the Nostalgia overdose; that was amazing. This was meh. 

• Like 1

I like it too. Kind of rambling here.

This last episode was OK but not bad. It did at times seem a little all over the place. It would be interesting to know how Michael Crichton would have felt about how his creation is being presented. Had he been involved it probably would have been different in some ways - but he was a visionary and future thinker, so I think he would have liked it. However, I will say- those Nolan boys can put out confusing films and stories.

32 minutes ago, Brandywine said:

I like it too. Kind of rambling here.

This last episode was OK but not bad. It did at times seem a little all over the place. It would be interesting to know how Michael Crichton would have felt about how his creation is being presented. Had he been involved it probably would have been different in some ways - but he was a visionary and future thinker, so I think he would have liked it. However, I will say- those Nolan boys can put out confusing films and stories.

Christopher Nolan isn’t involved with Westworld. His brother Jonathan Nolan created/co-writes the show with his wife Lisa Joy. Joy’s career prior to Westworld was very spotty. She wrote for the forgettable Pushing Daisies and Burn Notice. 

I’d be mildly interested in reading a brief summary of their creative process. Jonathan has some serious writing credit chops with his brother. Namely the brilliant The Dark Knight and Interstellar. 

Joy is the easy scapegoat here, but the pair    scored a $150 million development deal from Amazon. No matter what happens with Westworld, they’ve already won. 

2 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Christopher Nolan isn’t involved with Westworld. His brother Jonathan Nolan created/co-writes the show with his wife Lisa Joy. Joy’s career prior to Westworld was very spotty. She wrote for the forgettable Pushing Daisies and Burn Notice. 

I’d be mildly interested in reading a brief summary of their creative process. Jonathan has some serious writing credit chops with his brother. Namely the brilliant The Dark Knight and Interstellar. 

Joy is the easy scapegoat here, but the pair    scored a $150 million development deal from Amazon. No matter what happens with Westworld, they’ve already won. 

I knew Christopher didnt have anything to do with this. I like both their work but it can be confusing. Interstellar is a perfect example. 

The plot bores me and I find the idea of a supercomputer sphere that not only predicts but also controls the future to be a huge stretch. I also find it laughable that it was created by 2 guys who easily removed Dempsey Sr. from power. That’s like 2 guys creating something more powerful than all of Google and then killing the owner without the public catching wind.

I don’t know why I’m unable to suspend disbelief now, yet in the first season I willingly accepted that 2 guys created all of Westworld. I think it’s because the show has become unhinged and lost my loyalty as a viewer, whereas I was intrigued and engaged in season 1. The relationship between the writer and the audience is kind of delicate in that regard.

Despite all of that I will finish out the season because I still like seeing the futuristic architecture, vehicles, weapons, etc. It’s become a Michael Bay or Marvel movie form of cheap entertainment for me, which I normally wouldn’t go for but it’s COVID times and I’d rather watch this than Tiger King.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, wild_turkey said:

The plot bores me and I find the idea of a supercomputer sphere that not only predicts but also controls the future to be a huge stretch. I also find it laughable that it was created by 2 guys who easily removed Dempsey Sr. from power. That’s like 2 guys creating something more powerful than all of Google and then killing the owner without the public catching wind.

I don’t know why I’m unable to suspend disbelief now, yet in the first season I willingly accepted that 2 guys created all of Westworld. I think it’s because the show has become unhinged and lost my loyalty as a viewer, whereas I was intrigued and engaged in season 1. The relationship between the writer and the audience is kind of delicate in that regard.

Despite all of that I will finish out the season because I still like seeing the futuristic architecture, vehicles, weapons, etc. It’s become a Michael Bay or Marvel movie form of cheap entertainment for me, which I normally wouldn’t go for but it’s COVID times and I’d rather watch this than Tiger King.

Devs has a very similar, but for me, more believable plot about an all-knowing computer over on Hulu except it stars Nick Offerman and is set in the near future. All around better storyline -- more brooding and creepy.

Just now, PilotsError said:

Yeah this is essentially a robot vs a computer.  Why do I give a shit?

The Watch podcast made this same point. Hollywood over and over again attempts to make us care about artificially intelligent robots, and it hasn’t worked since Arnold took the molten metal bath in T2.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

The Watch podcast made this same point. Hollywood over and over again attempts to make us care about artificially intelligent robots, and it hasn’t worked since Arnold took the molten metal bath in T2.

One of 3 times I cried at the theater.

6 hours ago, kevwun said:

They didn't show much.  She was naked, but her hair or the chair she was sitting on covered everything.

They didn't show shit. And she's done plenty of nudity in the past. That said, her appearance was a good reason to stop fast-forwarding. At least the episode had a side of charbroiled bitch.

I'm trying to stay intrigued/fascinated/entertained, but I'm not even sure I care any more. The women are kinda hot, Aaron Paul's head bugs me, Serac, meh, Man-in black - WTH was that?, Maeve & Dolores can see & affect everything except the things that matter, Bernard & sidekick, whatever. Loved the book, loved the original movie, liked season 1, endured season 2 & really struggling now. Oh well, who cares

Well, I’m going to speculate that now that  the man in Black is now the man in white. And he has found something to believe in...himself. He will spend the last 2 episodes of the season killing everybody. 

He killed all of their asses more than once in Westworld, so it makes sense that he will be the guy to kill them in the real world. 

• Like 1

'Westworld' Renewed for Season 4 at HBO

Showrunners Lisa Joy and Jonathan Nolan will remain at the helm as sources note the sci-fi drama will run for six seasons.

The premium cable network has renewed the sci-fi drama from Lisa Joy and Jonathan Nolan for a fourth season. A return date for the series has not been determined after the VFX-heavy series starring Evan Rachel Wood, Thandie Newton and Jeffrey Wright was off the air for nearly two years between seasons two and three. An episode count has also not yet been determined. (Seasons one and two ran 10 episodes each, while three consists of eight.)

18 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

Most likely WW technology to actually happen: those private drones. That will be cool.

Yeah autonomous taxi drones already exist but haven't been approved for commercial use yet. It seems flying around in a drone isn't very far off in the future.

On 4/22/2020 at 2:17 PM, RPM said:

'Westworld' Renewed for Season 4 at HBO

Showrunners Lisa Joy and Jonathan Nolan will remain at the helm as sources note the sci-fi drama will run for six seasons.

The premium cable network has renewed the sci-fi drama from Lisa Joy and Jonathan Nolan for a fourth season. A return date for the series has not been determined after the VFX-heavy series starring Evan Rachel Wood, Thandie Newton and Jeffrey Wright was off the air for nearly two years between seasons two and three. An episode count has also not yet been determined. (Seasons one and two ran 10 episodes each, while three consists of eight.)

On 4/22/2020 at 2:32 PM, Js1 said:

SIX? Fml 

Michael Crichton is rolling over in his grave.

• Like 1