Conflicting parking signs

I know our resident sign expert is serving life imprisonment but maybe someone else can help me.

I'm parked on a residential street with a 2 hour limit. The 2-hr sign is only 10 feet away from a stop sign and I'm pulled up close to that 2 hour limit sign.  Rcvd a $40 ticket for being too close to the stop sign.  I know now that Texas law says you have to park 30 feet away from the stop sign. However this seem to be a conflict.  The 2 hour sign tells me that where I can park for two hours but does the stop sign override the 2 hour sign arrow?  And if so, does that mean the entire 2 hour sign is invalid?

I know I will have to pay but I don't see how the city could put  a 2 hr limit sign practically on top of a stop sign.  Feels like entrapment. 

16 minutes ago, KaiserSoze said:

Turns out you are. 

but what if it turns out you are?

seriously I'm sorry if the rest of us haven't remembered the how close can you park to a stop sign. Most of us took that test at 15, and I count on street signs to let me know how to follow the rules. If a sign says I can park somewhere, I go with the assumption the sign is correct.  

anyway back to the original question, what happens to tickets when you argue there is a conflict with the street signs?  And given the ticket amount, I really don't want to spend more than a handful of minute arguing it.

1 hour ago, KaiserSoze said:

Jesus f'ing christ- there's not a conflict with the signs. The one stating duration doesn't change the distance rule- it's only informing you of the duration. 

go fuck yourself. The point of this forum is to ask questions.

The sign on the street says I could park there, and somewhere in the texas driving handbook it says I couldn't.   I was only asking the group if I had an argument with the city.  

• Like 1

The sign on the street says I could park there, and somewhere in the texas driving handbook it says I couldn't.   I was only asking the group if I had an argument with the city.  

Username does not check out, and you're clearly a fucking idiot.

The Texas Transportation Code Section 545.302 (b) (4) states:

An operator may not, except momentarily to pick up or discharge a passenger, stand or park an occupied or unoccupied vehicle within 30 feet on the approach to a flashing signal, stop sign, yield sign, or traffic control signal located at the side of a roadway.

However Section 545.302 (f) states:

Subsections (a) (b) (c) do not apply if the avoidance of conflict with other traffic is necessary or if the operator is complying with the law or the direction of a police officer or official traffic control device.

I would go to court and argue that subsection (f) applied, then pay the fine and go about my day.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

You likely will have to pay the fine,  but I would argue that the parking sign is too close to the stop sign.   May be interferring with view of the stop sign as well as creating confusion and being misplaced.

1 hour ago, conVINCEd said:

I fought a ticket once.  I was right.  I lost and paid more money than if I had just rolled over and took my  fucking by the municipal revenue collectors. 

I’ve fought every ticket since 2004 and non-have hit my record nor have I ever paid more than the original ticket price. 

On 8/9/2019 at 5:06 PM, Nice Guy Eddie said:

THAT'S CALLED ENTRAPMENT!

You should put the entire system on trial!

11 hours ago, Wyatt Mann said:

Just throw the ticket in the trash. I've never paid parking tickets, tolls or red light camera tickets. No, you don't get a warrant or lose hour registration. I speak from personal experience. 

Do you want a boot on your car?  Because this is how you get a boot on your car.

On 8/12/2019 at 1:48 PM, Chewbacca said:

Do you want a boot on your car?  Because this is how you get a boot on your car.

Not if you change your plate number every year, or not rack up a significant amount of tickets in one city. In Austin, I pay for parking, but in the rare event I get a ticket, I dont pay it.

31 minutes ago, Wyatt Mann said:

Not if you change your plate number every year, or not rack up a significant amount of tickets in one city. In Austin, I pay for parking, but in the rare event I get a ticket, I dont pay it.

Edited by Chewbacca

44 minutes ago, Wyatt Mann said:

Lets get back on topic. The best way to fight the ticket would be to toss it in the trash, but I am curious to see how this would play out if he fights it.

I haven't had time yet.  I have jury duty in a couple of weeks so that might be a good time to take care of the ticket.

• Like 1

Don’t understand all the hostility. It’s not a dumb question. The sign has an arrow indicating where you can park. The sign was placed there by the gubmint. Traffic laws also dictate that you can’t drive through a red light, but a cop in the intersection can override that. If a permanent sign says you can park somewhere, it’s not unreasonable to think that it overrides other rules on the books.

That being said, I’d just pay the ticket. But I bet the parking popo write tickets in spots like that ALL the time. They’re probably getting several people in that spot everyday. So making a fuss about it and getting it moved could be a good way to stick it to the man.

• Like 2

Don’t understand all the hostility. It’s not a dumb question. The sign has an arrow indicating where you can park. The sign was placed there by the gubmint. Traffic laws also dictate that you can’t drive through a red light, but a cop in the intersection can override that. If a permanent sign says you can park somewhere, it’s not unreasonable to think that it overrides other rules on the books.

That being said, I’d just pay the ticket. But I bet the parking popo write tickets in spots like that ALL the time. They’re probably getting several people in that spot everyday. So making a fuss about it and getting it moved could be a good way to stick it to the man.

Your thoughtful and well reasoned response has no place here. Now move along.
  • Like 1

I know you've all been on the edge of your seats wondering this status.

I had jury duty today so I had the opportunity to take care of this as well.  The adjudicator listened to my argument and rejected it. But he let me off with a warning so no fine.  Surprisingly there was only 1 person in front of me so the whole trip was only 15 minutes.  The lesson is don't park too close to a stop sign even when other signs say its ok.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I know you've all been on the edge of your seats wondering this status.

I had jury duty today so I had the opportunity to take care of this as well.  The adjudicator listened to my argument and rejected it. But he let me off with a warning so no fine.  Surprisingly there was only 1 person in front of me so the whole trip was only 15 minutes.  The lesson is don't park too close to a stop sign even when other signs say its ok.

csat-score-satisfaction-1024x683.jpg