Healthy Recipes

Both Tacos

I know we all like to throw down some BBQ or good greasy burger, but when trying to lose weight or stay fit, those things don't always fit into the menu. So, let's have a place to put up some go to healthy meals that is something other than grabbing a rotisserie chicken and canned green beans. 

I'll start off with what I'm making tonight, Shrimp Cauliflower Fried "rice" that is on my meal plan that helped me lost 80 lbs last fall.

Shrimp or Chicken Fried "Rice"

Ingredients:
2-3/4 cup grated cauliflower
1/4 cup green onion, chopped
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp ginger
3 tbsp lite Soy Sauce
2 eggs beaten
9.3 oz shrimp, cooked or 8 oz chicken, cooked and cubed
Dash of red pepper flakes
1 tsp olive oil - if using chicken or 2 tsp olive oil - if using shrimp

Directions:
Cook eggs in skillet sprayed with a little bit of Pam. Scramble eggs until done, but still moist. Set aside. In a wok or large skillet, heat 1 tsp olive oil if using chicken or 2 tsp olive oil if using shrimp over medium high heat. Heat oil with finely diced white part of onions for approximately 1 minute. Add grated cauliflower and fry for 4 to 5 minutes, stirring constantly. Add soy sauce, garlic powder, ginger, diced green onion tops, pre-cooked meat, and eggs. Stir to mix well and until browned a bit. Makes 2 servings. Sprinkle red pepper flakes very lightly over the top (optional). Stores and re-heats beautifully.

Here's another one of my favorites. Recipe is for single serving.

Mexican Beef and Zucchini Skillet

Ingredients:
5 oz ground beef (93%), cooked
1/2 cup rotel tomatoes with some of the liquid
1 cup raw zucchini, chopped
2 tbsp salsa
1/2 tsp taco seasoning mix

Directions:
Combine ground beef, rotel tomatoes, zucchini, salsa, and taco seasoning mix in a medium skillet. Cook over medium-high heat until zucchini is tender, about 5 minutes.

i mostly eat chicken tacos.  each is about 200 calories with about 20 grams protein, 16 grams carbs, 5 grams fat. 

get: 5ish lbs BSCB.  marinade in a mixture of juice of 5 limes, 1/2 cup soy sauce, 1/4 cup olive oil, 1 ~5 oz can pineapple juice, 4 or 5 fresh jalapenos, 4 or 5 cloves of garlic, couple of chipotles + some adobo, couple teaspoons of cumin, plenty of black pepper, and some cayenne.  blend that up pretty good.  butterfly/split your chicken boobs to increase surface area, put into a couple of ziplocs with the marinade.  let it get comfortable for a day. 

i usually cook this in sous vide at 155 for 3+ hours, but you could bake, grill, maybe even broil it if you don't have a sous vide set up.  when i want to eat i measure out 2 ounces of chicken per taco, cut up right into the skillet to warm up, and cook tortillas in another skillet. 

top with pico/salsa/whatever.  i don't usually add cheese or avocado so toppings are negligible for calories (i also don't include the marinade but that mostly stays in the bag). 

Edited by elfenix
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, thestud said:

Fenix, your chicken is soaking up all of the sugar from that marinade. Sounds tasty AF, but it’s deceivingly less healthy than you’re thinking.

?  even if it absorbed all the sugar (which i doubt), that's 22 grams in 5 lbs of chicken.  if we say that, after cooking, that's sixty 2 ounce tacos, that's 1/3 of a gram of sugar per.  the salsa and pico adds more than that. 

i mostly eat chicken tacos.  each is about 200 calories with about 20 grams protein, 16 grams carbs, 5 grams fat. 
get: 5ish lbs BSCB.  marinade in a mixture of 1/2 cup soy sauce, 1/4 cup olive oil, 1 ~5 oz can pineapple juice, 4 or 5 fresh jalapenos, 4 or 5 cloves of garlic, couple of chipotles + some adobo, couple teaspoons of cumin, plenty of black pepper, and some cayenne.  blend that up pretty good.  butterfly/split your chicken boobs to increase surface area, put into a couple of ziplocs with the marinade.  let it get comfortable for a day. 
i usually cook this in sous vide at 155 for 3+ hours, but you could bake, grill, maybe even broil it if you don't have a sous vide set up.  when i want to eat i measure out 2 ounces of chicken per taco, cut up right into the skillet to warm up, and cook tortillas in another skillet. 
top with pico/salsa/whatever.  i don't usually add cheese or avocado so toppings are negligible for calories (i also don't include the marinade but that mostly stays in the bag). 
You going with corn tortillas?

1 hour ago, Both Tacos said:
6 hours ago, elfenix said:
get: 5ish lbs BSCB.  marinade in a mixture of 1/2 cup soy sauce, 1/4 cup olive oil, 1 ~5 oz can pineapple juice, 4 or 5 fresh jalapenos, 4 or 5 cloves of garlic, couple of chipotles + some adobo, couple teaspoons of cumin, plenty of black pepper, and some cayenne.  blend that up pretty good.  butterfly/split your chicken boobs to increase surface area, put into a couple of ziplocs with the marinade.  let it get comfortable for a day. 

Read more  

You going with corn tortillas?

i usually get the ready to cook flour from heb.  i should probably try ready to cook corn. 

Edited by elfenix

Made this tonight, found it in a LC group i'm in on FB.  I thought it was alright, some here may like it better than I did.  Had it as a side dish with chicken thighs pan seared and then simmered for a bit with canned diced tomatoes.  The chicken came out excellent, will do again, may try it with breasts as the warden isn't keen on thighs. 

Made this tonight, found it in a LC group i'm in on FB.  I thought it was alright, some here may like it better than I did.  Had it as a side dish with chicken thighs pan seared and then simmered for a bit with canned diced tomatoes.  The chicken came out excellent, will do again, may try it with breasts as the warden isn't keen on thighs. 

Sure you got the right page Clark?

Had a potluck to go to this evening and didnt have much time to prepare so I went with something simple. Went with Mexican Cauliflower Rice.
Started with 3 heads of cauliflower that I grated into rice. Put in deep pan for 10 minutes, stirring often to dry out the cauliflower.
Added salt, pepper and chili powder. Mixed it up and continued on low heat for a couple more minutes.
Added half a jar of Herdez salsa. Stirred and left on low heat for 5 minutes.
Topped off with cilantro.
The host had chicken breast, so I shredded up a breast and added it to my plate of cauliflower rice to make a little chicken and rice. 345d30eb577959ce979478367ec47dad.jpg83b1333071e4b957c651ccbaaf2a8dab.jpg55d739ddf688967e3eb2427a0eb6c3fb.jpg