Texas Women's Basketball 2019-2020 Season

LTtxfan

The health of the team has to be the main focus as the start of the season comes around. Lashann’s recovery from her injury is very important as well as Isabel Palmer’s recovery from her foot surgery. With Martinez not enrolling that leaves them thin in the post if there are no new injuries and players recover from old injuries I think they’ll have a good year. 

https://texassports.com/news/2019/8/9/terry-nooner-named-womens-basketball-assistant-coach.aspx. 

Terry Nooner named Women's Basketball assistant coach
08.09.2019 | Women's Basketball

Terry Nooner named Women's Basketball assistant coach

Terry Nooner, who has found success at all levels of basketball including more than eight years of experience in the women's college game, has been named assistant coach at The University of Texas, head coach Karen Aston announced Friday. 

Nooner's responsibilities at Texas will include instructing players at the post position as well as being heavily involved in recruiting.  

Nooner joins the Longhorns from the NBA's Cleveland Cavaliers, where he spent the 2018-19 season as Player Development Coach. 

Prior to his time with the Cavaliers, Nooner served three seasons as an assistant coach for the University of Maryland women's basketball team. He helped the Terrapins to a record of 89-14 [.864], including a 43-7 [.860] mark in Big Ten Conference play. During his stint in College Park, Maryland won back-to-back Big Ten regular season and tournament titles and earned three NCAA Tournament berths.

While at Maryland, Nooner helped recruit the nation's No. 1 class in 2016 and the fourth-ranked class in 2018.  He worked with the post players and, in 2016, helped Maryland lead the nation with a rebounding margin of +15.1. In 2017, the Terrapins were second in the nation in rebounding margin [+13.9].

Nooner was an assistant coach at the University of Alabama for two seasons from 2013-15. In his first season in Tuscaloosa, the Crimson Tide won 14 games, playing one of the most difficult schedules in the nation. Seven of those victories came in Southeastern Conference play, which were the most league wins for the Tide in more than 12 years. Alabama had several notable victories during Nooner's time there, including the first win in program history at Vanderbilt's Memorial Gym.

Nooner spent one season at his alma mater, the University of Kansas, as an assistant coach with the women's basketball team. He helped the Jayhawks to one of their most successful seasons, as Kansas finished with 20 wins in 2012-13. The Jayhawks advanced to the fourth NCAA Sweet 16 in program history.

Nooner began his collegiate coaching career as an assistant coach at Southern Illinois in 2011-12. During that season, he worked with Cartaesha Macklin, who was named Missouri Valley Conference Freshman of the Year.

Before joining the collegiate ranks, Nooner coached high school and AAU basketball for seven years in the Kansas City area. Additionally, he served as president of KC Pro Am Inc., a non-profit organization that provides basketball instruction, from 2007-11. He also worked at the Jewish Community Center of Greater Kansas City as a personal basketball instructor from 2006-11. Nooner's past clients include Chauncey Billups, Tyronn Lue and Billy Thomas, in addition to several college players.

Nooner, a Raytown, Mo., native, was a former guard and team captain for the University of Kansas from 1996-2000. He helped the Jayhawks to a Sweet Sixteen, four NCAA Tournament appearances and three Big 12 Championships.

He earned his Bachelor of Arts degree in African-American Studies from the University of Kansas in 2000. In 2002, he earned his Master's degree in Sport Administration from Kansas.

Nooner and his wife Tracy have two daughters, Tarynn and Tatum, and a son, Terry III.

TEXAS HEAD COACH KAREN ASTON
"Being able to hire Terry is a blessing for our program. It's awesome to be able to bring someone in at this point in the year that is experienced and ready to hit the ground running.  Terry's track record speaks for itself. He will impact our team with his ability to prepare and coach, and also will be able to impact recruiting with his ability to connect with people. He has an infectious personality and a desire to be the best. I am thrilled to welcome Terry, his wife Tracy and their children to our Longhorn Family."

ASSISTANT COACH TERRY NOONER
"My family and I are extremely humbled and excited about the opportunity to be a part of the Texas Family. Coach Aston is one of the premier coaches in women's basketball. I am eager to work with such a dynamic coach and staff, and extremely talented student-athletes. I look forward to helping continue to grow the winning tradition that has been established at the University of Texas." 

THE TERRY NOONER FILE
Hometown: Raytown, Mo. 
Alma Mater: Kansas [Bachelor of Arts '00; Masters '02]
Playing Experience: Kansas [1996-00]

COACHING EXPERIENCE
•    Player Development Coach, Cleveland Cavaliers [2018-19]
•    Assistant Coach, Maryland [2015-18]
•    Assistant Coach, Alabama [2013-15]
•    Assistant Coach, Kansas [2012-13]
•    Assistant Coach, Southern Illinois [2011-12]

There's probably some sexism in this, but at least I'm owning it.  I find it interesting to have a woman as a coach for men.  It's fine, different or non-traditional, I suppose, but totally fine.  I find it a little extra intriguing that the female coach in question is S&C, given the role of "enforcer" that strength coaches tend to have in football programs.  Probably n/a in basketball.

Maybe I haven't been paying attention (entirely possible because it's basketball), but I'm surprised she didn't get more attention as a female strength coach at a perennial powerhouse program.

7 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

Maybe I haven't been paying attention (entirely possible because it's basketball), but I'm surprised she didn't get more attention as a female strength coach at a perennial powerhouse program.

She's well known in the industry. ESPN doesn't write articles like this about random strength and conditioning coaches. 

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/7936919/strength-coach-andrea-hudy-plays-huge-role-success-kansas-jayhawks-program-men-college-basketball

• Like 1

Texas checks in at #14 in the way-too-early rankings

https://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/story/_/id/27530932/uconn-louisville-nc-state-way-too-early-preseason-top-25

On our schedule includes:

#15 NC State - 11/29 in Honolulu
RV Tennessee - 12/8 in Knoxville
#4 Stanford - 12/21 in Austin
#2 Baylor twice

That's.....not that loaded really (Arizona did win the WNIT). Anything less than 6-7 losses would be a huge disappointment (Baylor x2, Tree and some dumbass coaching will drop us a couple road games in Big 12 play). 

Lauren is announcing her commitment today at 2:00. Currently ranked on ESPN as the #4 post in the class of 2020. She is going to play both Basketball and Volleyball. I've know her since she was 8 yrs old and she is a good kid. She is  6'5"  and can shoot it from anywhere. I think it's between Texas and Minnesota. She tore her ACL this summer and is going to miss her Senior year. 

3 hours ago, Ugly Dogs said:

Lauren is announcing her commitment today at 2:00. Currently ranked on ESPN as the #4 post in the class of 2020. She is going to play both Basketball and Volleyball. I've know her since she was 8 yrs old and she is a good kid. She is  6'5"  and can shoot it from anywhere. I think it's between Texas and Minnesota. She tore her ACL this summer and is going to miss her Senior year. 

Well?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Preseason All Big 12:

POY: Lauren Cox (Baylor)
Newcomer of the Year: Te'a Cooper (Baylor)
FOY: Celeste Taylor (Texas)

All Big 12 Preseason Team:
Joyner Holmes
Sug Sutton

All Big 12 HM:
Charli Collier
Lashann Higgs

Lashann is going to be a first teamer.  Book it.  From all accounts, she regained her speed and quickness from the ACL recovery.  She will also be the focal point of the offense, so she should be able to put up the numbers to get Big 12 First Team and possibly sneak onto an All American list (2nd or 3rd team). 

• 3 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, perfectchaos007 said:

I know Lubbock Christian won the DII championship last year, but it doesn't bode well for us that we only beat them by 10. (Lubbock got within 4 points in the 4th quarter)

Lubbock next plays Baylor in an exhibition so, let's see how that result compares. 

No Sug, no Holmes, no Warren. Hard to tell much except that JAT did well with the point and Celeste is awesome. I think we only had 8 players for this game? 

9 minutes ago, perfectchaos007 said:

It’s going to be a long season I can feel it

Lookin' like Ortiz will not be eligible until next year

Kelby Jones was tasked with going on campus and finding players.  He found Sophie Taylor.  Ain't no big girl that wants to play? 

It will KILL her, but Aston is going to have to play zone to protect Holmes/Collier. 

29 minutes ago, Pancho said:

Programs like Oregon and Oregon State have surpassed us. Unbelievable.

and I like Aston 

Yup.

But winning cures all ills - Texas gets crucified because we lost in the first round of the NCAAs and lose players like Sedona , Destiny , Chaz and Boothe. 

Kim wins the title and no one makes a peep that Mompremier is a preseason-AA at Miami or that 2 five stars (Scott-Grayson and Decosta) have left her program.