Texas Women's Basketball 2019-2020 Season

LTtxfan

7 minutes ago, Js1 said:

She’s so not getting re-upped 

god I hope so and I hope that CDC can finally cut us from the Conradt/Lopiano/Plonsky horde.  what a fucking disaster it has been.

Aston is such a shitty coach.  the players have no idea what they are doing.  3 times in the 3rd both defenders went with one player on the pick and twice with the player that didn't have the ball.

our fundamentals are horrible, we can't shoot, we are awful inside 5 feet and we are slow.  we keep trying to drive and Baylor just sags and we drive right into the double in the lane.

The "play" at the end of the 3rd was a prime example.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

our fundamentals are horrible, we can't shoot, we are awful inside 5 feet and we are slow.  we keep trying to drive and Baylor just sags and we drive right into the double in the lane.

You are totally right.  I agree with you on all of those.  But something too often overlooked about real quality coaching is in game adjustments.  The Aston defenders say look Baylor owns us but look at our record.  We win because we out talent most of our opponents.  Where we lose almost every game is the inability to coach up or make adjustments in game and especially at halftime.  Most teams we often beat have coaches making far better game time decisions.  This is where Mulkey kicks most of her peers.

11 hours ago, ruitxn said:

You are totally right.  I agree with you on all of those.  But something too often overlooked about real quality coaching is in game adjustments.  The Aston defenders say look Baylor owns us but look at our record.  We win because we out talent most of our opponents.  Where we lose almost every game is the inability to coach up or make adjustments in game and especially at halftime.  Most teams we often beat have coaches making far better game time decisions.  This is where Mulkey kicks most of her peers.

In my view, the issue with Aston is simply that we're playing for 2nd place in the Big12 every year. Mulkey has Baylor women's basketball at an elite level and Astooon is not up to that. We have to decide if playing for 2nd place in women's basketball is suitable. If not, where are we going to get a coach to match Mulkey? I don't believe any of the established, elite women's basketball coaches would move to Austin.

Well no shit, we aren't getting Dawn, Geno, Muffit, or Mulkey.  And those are really the "elite" coaches in the game right now.  I think Walz is attainable, and he (and the Oregon coach) are the two right now who I think are "gettable" that can dethrone Mulkey.  Mulkey is 57, but that's a hard 57.  Like damn. 

With that said, what's every crazier about the program this year is just how down the conference is.  There's only 1 ranked team in the conference--Baylor at #2.  And they might win the whole thing again this year.   This program can't even take sole possession of 2nd place in a conference that is very, very terrible this year.  That speaks volumes as does our offense, which I've seen better offenses ran in the Southland and SWAC conferences than I've seen from Texas. 

With that said--I'm worried.  I'm worried Aston might actually pull out a top 3 finish (in a very, very down year for the big 12) and make the tournament and CDC will give her something like 2 more years.  All the teams we beat on the road were teams I thought we'd lose to, combined with losing to Tennessee and Stanford.  That didn't happen.  The next month is going to be interesting. 

• Like 1

Let's see if we can maintain 3rd in the Big 12 when ISU comes to town.  

Baylor 10-0

TCU 8-2

Texas 7-3

That WV loss hurts - they are 4-7 right now in conference.  We should be 8-2 as well.  Big 12 lookin like a 3 bid league - Baylor, TCU, Texas. 

Just now, perfectchaos007 said:

we're giving ISU wide open lanes for layups. Our defense is very confused

there was one break where the guard had a clear lane and had beat the defender and our defender under the bucket went with a ISU player to the corner instead of stopping the ball.