Texas Women's Basketball 2019-2020 Season

LTtxfan

4 minutes ago, Pancho said:

Unfortunately, I could see a situation where CDC gives her a 1-year contract if this gets worse. 

If the US can get this under control and we get back to semi-normal by May 1, then it's possible CDC makes a move. 

I can see that happening for her and Shaka.  Mulligan.  

Hopefully the NCAA does not give extra eligibility to the basketball seniors - I cannot take another year of Joyner.

Edited by Js1
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Js1 said:

CDC confirms Shaka’s return but 100% silent on Karen. 

That’s bad for her. Can we just part ways and hire Cori Close already? 

I wouldn’t see her as a top candidate mostly because she’s from California originally.  Seems like she has her dream job if there is one for her.  Only reason I could see her leaving is pay bc UCLA? Dey broke.

Edited by Pancho

1 hour ago, Pancho said:

I wouldn’t see her as a top candidate mostly because she’s from California originally.  Seems like she has her dream job if there is one for her.  Only reason I could see her leaving is pay bc UCLA? Dey broke.

Badly broke. We could almost double her salary. 

If we are ever willing to let a coach go into the last year of their deal, they should not be retained. If we ever let a coach’s contract expire, they should not be retained. 
even if that’s the only difference between Shaka and Karen, it’s a huge difference so let’s wish her the best as we walk her to the door. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

If we are ever willing to let a coach go into the last year of their deal, they should not be retained. If we ever let a coach’s contract expire, they should not be retained. 
even if that’s the only difference between Shaka and Karen, it’s a huge difference so let’s wish her the best as we walk her to the door. 

Well, we would have to wave goodbye from a window.  Social distance and whatnot. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Js1 said:

That would be so disappointing. Shaka, I get. It’s money. This would be bullshit 

precisely. For Aston to be retained and extended would just be laziness at this point. Athletics are dead till at least August, searching for a womens basketball coach would at least give CDC something to do.

5 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

Money whip Cori Close?

Offer $1.5-$1.8m to Walz, Frese, Graves (win immediately)

Offer $1m to Close or Adia Barnes (higher ceiling than Aston but lower than the 3 above) 

Posted this on IT:

I don't see Staley coming. She has it stacked in Souf Carolina and has a Tennessee-like program already built. Why would she leave that? (But I'd love to have her, she just isn't realistic here.)

First call should be to Walz at Louisville.

EDIT: Actually Schaefer is only 59. He could get it rolling here for 10-12 years or so.

Not sure we can pull Kelly from Oregon, but without Sabrina, they'll take a step back next year.

Close at UCLA should be on the list.

Frese from Maryland should be on here as well.

• Like 1

Staley won’t leave. Her compensation package is huge and way more than money 

Schaefer is probably the first call the Ags make. I think He waits for Gary to retire. 

Walz/Frese/Graves are my first calls 

Close/Adia Barnes are my next set

Tina Langley is my “Pierce” hire - errbody said no 

2 hours ago, Pancho said:

Posted this on IT:

I don't see Staley coming. She has it stacked in Souf Carolina and has a Tennessee-like program already built. Why would she leave that? (But I'd love to have her, she just isn't realistic here.)

First call should be to Walz at Louisville.

EDIT: Actually Schaefer is only 59. He could get it rolling here for 10-12 years or so.

Not sure we can pull Kelly from Oregon, but without Sabrina, they'll take a step back next year.

Close at UCLA should be on the list.

Frese from Maryland should be on here as well.

If you don't ask.....

It was a random time to pull the trigger. CDC probably has it lined up. 

I will say Karen’s agent blows. She never should have had her contract run this close to expiration without something. I’m not talking a 5 year Shaka extension after her last sweet 16 but a year or two added on. That dude sucks 

On 3/9/2020 at 11:19 AM, Js1 said:

We are a 10 seed as of this morning. I think I’d rather stay there then go 8/9. TCU is a 7. A win there would bump us up a line probably. 

As of now, if we won the first game, we’d face Louisville in game 2

Just terrible how far Aston let the WBB program fall...

DING DONG... ASTON IS GONE !!!!!!

Aston wasn't a villain, she probably would have won the Big12 multiple years if it were not for Mulkey. So I guess the standard for any hire is whether he/she can beat Mulkey. That's pretty limited number of proven candidates. 

Edited by Extra Anejo
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, Extra Anejo said:

Aston wasn't a villain, she probably would have won the Big12 multiple years if it were not for Mulkey. So I guess the standard for any hire is whether he/she can beat Mulkey. That's pretty limited number of proven candidates. 

It’s not even that.  There are several teams that could have beaten Baylor (I think) during Aston’s tenure, but Aston is really, really bad at Xs and Os as a coach.  She also had terrible assistants.  That’s where other coaches were beating her.  A coach who actually knows how to coach could have put up more fights against Baylor during that span. 

• Like 4

This. We had a lot of talent to go 16-2 in conference every year and dropped a lot of wtf games.

Out coached often by ISU and OU.

An entire class transferred out. 

Non-competitive overall against Baylor, UConn, MSU will do that 

Hell we got Badly outcoached in the sweet 16 by UCLA with seniors Brooke and Ariel, White, Higgs and Joyner 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Pancho said:

It’s not even that.  There are several teams that could have beaten Baylor (I think) during Aston’s tenure, but Aston is really, really bad at Xs and Os as a coach.  She also had terrible assistants.  That’s where other coaches were beating her.  A coach who actually knows how to coach could have put up more fights against Baylor during that span. 

On the assistant side, losing Jalie was rough. And then Tina and Travis  

Then bringing in Carey to run offense and it looked like we let Shawn Watson handle it 

Edited by Js1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

On the assistant side, losing Jalie was rough. And then Tina and Travis  

Then bringing in Carey to run offense and it looked like we let Shawn Watson handle it 

Was their ever a reason/rumor given for all of the player transfers ?  (Sedona Prince,  et al.)  Prince may not be a good example due to other reasons.   Maybe internal issues which were key in Aston's demise ?    

Liked Karen, she frequently attended softball games when schedule permitted. 

Besides Sedona, that class had Boothe, Patterson and Littleton. Legit scorers and shooters. But if you don’t play defense for Karen, you don’t play, period. 

They all left to go score buckets elsewhere.  And since we’ve recruited more defense oriented players - JAT, Celeste, Warren 

Edited by Js1

3 hours ago, Extra Anejo said:

Sorry, but Aston was a terrible coach!! Aston could recruit, but she sucked at actual coaching and making adjustments. 

She had a few great squads that significantly underachieved because of the horrible in-game coaching by Aston.

So Glad CDC did not keep Aston!!

3 hours ago, Extra Anejo said:

I’d settle for anyone who does better than 1-18.  

Jody was 5-10

Gail was 5-6

• Like 1

I liked her as a person, but fuck just like with the prior coach she seemed to just burn out and it just slowly faded away and she did not seem to have any answer and as far as I can tell she was really not looking for an answer or to try anything

again like her as a person (just like Goestenkors), but fuck the burnout and slow roll to "meh" status

looking at the record of Goestenkors I don't know WTF happened there....can Texas really be that much harder on a person than Duke that is known for mens BB and where Goestenkors had a pretty damn amazing run (good enough I am still surprised UT landed her)

I don't know if UT is just paying so damn much that coaches can afford to say fuck it and ride it out 5+ years or if there is something else going on......I suspect there is something else going on and I suspect it is all those old, used up, and burned out ghost of teams past floating around Bellmont along with the useless women's administration

to me at least this is a sign that Del is in charge 100% because plodski would have given her an extension a year or so ago and then would have to ride that out for another year or two to save face and because "she needs a chance to straighten it out"

perhaps Del needs to call up Goestenkors and ask her WTF caused her to burn out so fast and then get a hold of the past women's tennis coach and ask her who it was that made her feel shitted on.....then fire whoever those fuck heads are....I suspect we all already know who those fuck heads are though

and PS with everything going on right now I have to believe that Del has something lined up...he did not fuck around when he chopped that dead wood from softball so lets hope the same plan is in place again

Edited by ButtFumble

Duke recruited itself. Elite academics and in a basketball conference. GG thought her reputation would recruit for her. She kept no coaches or hired any with Texas ties and pissed off the AAU exes like Clarissa. 

Aston:Baylor :: GG:A&M

And the Big 12 was way better under GG - Baylor, Texas A&M and OU were really good elite programs 

6 minutes ago, Pancho said:

Need to hire someone without Jody’s consent.  Get that, and I’m happy. Jody built this program (and almost ran me over coming out of Belmont my Junior year) but she shouldn’t have a hold over this program. 

I met Jody plenty of times when I was a student assistant in Compliance. Nice lady. Met GG too - so much potential but damn she didn’t “get” Texas at all. 

And a lot of interactions with Plonsky - miserable cunt. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Js1 said:

I met Jody plenty of times when I was a student assistant in Compliance. Nice lady. Met GG too - so much potential but damn she didn’t “get” Texas at all. 

And a lot of interactions with Plonsky - miserable cunt. 

I’ve met Aston a ton of times at basketball camps where she’s recruiting and I’m reffing.  Very, very nice even if I wasn’t supposed to talk to her. 

But shitty coach.  Nice lady tho!

• Like 1

Hire this woman, and perhaps Kim will be a little charitable.

Makenzie (Robertson) Fuller begins her fifth season as a full-time member of the women’s basketball staff, serving as associate director of basketball operations.

Robertson assists in film breakdown, scouting reports, recruiting, player development and the organization and execution of summer camps along with everyday operations.

Fuller was a four-year letterwinner on Baylor’s basketball team from 2010-2014. During that time, the Lady Bears posted an impressive 140-10 record, which included eight Big 12 crowns and an NCAA national championship (2012). She also played softball on the 2011 squad where the Bears advanced to their second NCAA Women’s College World Series.

She was a three-time Academic All-Big 12 honoree was named to both Baylor’s Dean’s List and the Big 12 Commissioner’s Honor Roll numerous times. She was named honorable mention all-conference in 2014 by the Big 12, earned Capitol One Academic All-District Honors and was the Big 12 Conference’s Dr. Gerald Lage Award recipient.

Fuller earned both a bachelor and master’s degree from Baylor and married former Baylor football and professional baseball player Clay Fuller in 2015. The couple had their first child, Kannon, in October of 2018.

https://baylorbears.com/sports/womens-basketball/roster/coaches/makenzie-fuller/338

spacer.png

On 4/3/2020 at 5:51 PM, Js1 said:

It was a random time to pull the trigger. CDC probably has it lined up. 

I will say Karen’s agent blows. She never should have had her contract run this close to expiration without something. I’m not talking a 5 year Shaka extension after her last sweet 16 but a year or two added on. That dude sucks 

Disappointed for all that Karen has not issued a statement,  further proof her agent is not good.   Always politcally correct to issue a statement for the benefit of future employment.

My virus lockdown paranoia on display, but do you all think there could be a possibility of litigation (retaining Shaka)  ?

Edited by torre

Just now, torre said:

Disappointed for all that Karen has not issued a statement,  further proof her agent is not good.   Always politcally correct to issue a statement for the benefit of future employment.

My virus lockdown paranoia on display but do you all think there could be a possibility of litigation (retaining Shaka)  ?

Litigation? Why?

Shaka’s contract still has years and money on it. Karen’s does not. We did not renew Karen’s contract.  We opted not to buyout Shaka’s because $10 million >>>> $0. End of story. 

1 minute ago, Js1 said:

Litigation? Why?

Shaka’s contract still has years and money on it. Karen’s does not. We did not renew Karen’s contract.  We opted not to buyout Shaka’s because $10 million >>>> $0. End of story. 

Understand and agree.

But always the angle of fair treatment,  imo.