Texas Women's Basketball 2019-2020 Season

LTtxfan

2 minutes ago, perfectchaos007 said:

Remember when so many Oregon players left when Mike White left that they were wondering if they could field a team. 

If they allow the one time transfer rule to pass in June...

Ballgame, as they say 

38 minutes ago, Js1 said:

If they allow the one time transfer rule to pass in June...

Ballgame, as they say 

What's your guess on this happening? It seems like there was support building for this, but with this Coronavirus stuff, I feel it can go either way. Hopefully, the pandemic lends itself to support the one time transfer rule because it will definitely help Texas, although smaller programs might end up getting the shaft.

5 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

What's your guess on this happening? It seems like there was support building for this, but with this Coronavirus stuff, I feel it can go either way. Hopefully, the pandemic lends itself to support the one time transfer rule because it will definitely help Texas, although smaller programs might end up getting the shaft.

Last I saw it’ll pass but not go into effect until next offseason. Gonna be some pissed off players who entered the portal thinking it would happen this summer effective now... 

My gut says the whole staff comes. Cohen immediately says nationwide search and I don’t think they gamble on an assistant. Mitchell (UK) or any of the PAC-12 coaches like Barnes, Close, Rueck or Graves are gettable for $1-1.5m

Staff has great Texas ties -

Vic - Texan, coached at Sam and aggy, recruits Texas already

Harris - 5 years coaching at A&M

Jackson-Durret - played at OU

Lovato - UH, Trinity Valley CC coaching, played at West Texas A&M

Baker - played at A&M

20 hours ago, TrashMaster G said:

CDC is building a track record of making moves when he has a plan and not before. 

I don't see us wasting any $$$ on search firms under his leadership.  The guys is showing that he is a one-man search firm AND a closer.

errrr

3 minutes ago, TrashMaster G said:

Ok, so maybe I'm full of it.

But I do think there is a difference between vetting candidates and actually performing the search and coming up with names.

Then again, I could still be full of it.

Apparently Jody recommended we go after Vic. I’m doubtful 

1 hour ago, TrashMaster G said:

Ok, so maybe I'm full of it.

But I do think there is a difference between vetting candidates and actually performing the search and coming up with names.

Then again, I could still be full of it.

Given that we're playing in the big boy pool of coaching candidates with CDC, I bet he just gives them the shortlist of good coaches that are willing to move that everyone and their mother already knows and tells the firm to go make sure there aren't any skeletons in their closet and/or they're not raging assholes that won't cut it in Austin's media environment.

Edited by texifornia
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, dcar00 said:

yeah OK.  "so we are going to hire this guy, everyone here good?"

the search firm must be some weird CYA thing so there is no chance of some impropriety.

Just background vetting  

1 hour ago, dcar00 said:

yeah OK.  "so we are going to hire this guy, everyone here good?"

the search firm must be some weird CYA thing so there is no chance of some impropriety.

"Search firm" is a pretty reductive term anyway given the breadth of offerings the good ones provide - for example Korn Ferry go by "Organizational Consultants".

27 minutes ago, texifornia said:

"Search firm" is a pretty reductive term anyway given the breadth of offerings the good ones provide - for example Korn Ferry go by "Organizational Consultants".

do we know who the search firm was here?

3 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Korn Ferry I think 

what a gig, look up top 10 WBB Coaches names, check wikipedia for basketball record, check recruiting stats, check for any criminal record, check to see if any current legal or financial issues.  probably 2 days worth of work tops.  bill 500K

• Like 1

“ I have a real good business friend that is a huge State supporter and the consensus opinion around Starkville is that Vic is the best coach they have ever had in any sport. Big loss for them and big loss for the SEC and really no help for us. Makes life tougher for all three schools in the Centex triangle.”

Post from texags.

8 hours ago, Cairn Horn88 said:

“ I have a real good business friend that is a huge State supporter and the consensus opinion around Starkville is that Vic is the best coach they have ever had in any sport. Big loss for them and big loss for the SEC and really no help for us. Makes life tougher for all three schools in the Centex triangle.”

Post from texags.

giphy.gif

6 minutes ago, perfectchaos007 said:

I’m sure some are glad to see him go since he couldnt consistently get over the USCe hump but he had way more success against them than Aston did against Baylor 

The opposite.  They're angry, some of them even saying Vic was the best coach at MSU in any sport--ever.  Texas is a step down, and they don't understand why he left.  Some blaming it on the AD at MSU saying he and Vic didn't have a great relationship.  Someone mentioned that Vic was offered Tennessee last year and declined. 

They mostly are baffled at Texas, but would understand if he left for A&M.  Most don't wish him any success and some hope he fails. 

Hope is they can land Walz or Mitchell at Kentucky.  Also hoping Harris stays to be their HC.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Pancho said:

They mostly are baffled at Texas, but would understand if he left for A&M.  Most don't wish him any success and some hope he fails. 

Hope is they can land Walz or Mitchell at Kentucky.  Also hoping Harris stays to be their HC.

Ah, there's a good maroon little brother school.

1 hour ago, Pancho said:

The opposite.  They're angry, some of them even saying Vic was the best coach at MSU in any sport--ever.  Texas is a step down, and they don't understand why he left.  Some blaming it on the AD at MSU saying he and Vic didn't have a great relationship.  Someone mentioned that Vic was offered Tennessee last year and declined. 

Rumor is they offered an “ACC coach who has been in the FF recently” $2 million. Gotta be Walz.  Hard to imagine them going big and then “settling” for Harris who has no HC experience. 

Edited by Js1

Top 3 candidates for MSU are Johnnie Harris, Jeff Walz and Nikki McCray (ODU).  Harris the odd one out with no HC experience  McCray turned around ODU and has Staley’s endorsement  

Harris reportedly has a $450-$500k offer to come to Austin 

26 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Top 3 candidates for MSU are Johnnie Harris, Jeff Walz and Nikki McCray (ODU).  Harris the odd one out with no HC experience  McCray turned around ODU and has Staley’s endorsement  

Harris reportedly has a $450-$500k offer to come to Austin 

Harris deserves that job.....but I hope we get her.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ruitxn said:

Harris deserves that job.....but I hope we get her.

Agree. Selfishly I want her here. But I do think McCray might get it since she got Staley’s endorsement. McCray followers all MSU players and the AD on Twitter 

10 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Agree. Selfishly I want her here. But I do think McCray might get it since she got Staley’s endorsement. McCray followers all MSU players and the AD on Twitter 

I wouldn't doubt that at all.  But if she was the leader, I can’t see that they would be willing to pay her 2 mil.  Looks like they could get her for a lot less.

9 minutes ago, Pancho said:

Is MSU a step up from Louisville? (Texas is, yes)

No I don’t think so. He’d only leave for the money, I guess? He’s 48 and could own the ACC for 20 years considering McGraw is 70 and Wes Moore is 62.  ACC is a better basketball conference, that helps a lot. 

Walz is also a KY native. McCray grew up about 3 hours from Starkville. 

5 minutes ago, Js1 said:

No I don’t think so. He’d only leave for the money, I guess? He’s 48 and could own the ACC for 20 years considering McGraw is 70 and Wes Moore is 62.  ACC is a better basketball conference, that helps a lot. 

I think McGraw is mid 60s but your point still stands that Walz can rule the ACC

4 minutes ago, Pancho said:

I think McGraw is mid 60s but your point still stands that Walz can rule the ACC

64. My bad. I’d also argue ND just hasn’t been good lately. She isn’t one to phone in it but she’s def not the same McGraw as her dominating years. 

His 2 biggest rivals are in their mid-60s. He’d be stuck having to fight with Staley, who is 49. The 2 of them can rule WCBB until 2040. 

Edited by Js1

10 minutes ago, Js1 said:

All good points.  He built a top ten program as opposed to taking over another’s.   It would have to come down to money.  Of course SEC SEC.  Stay put!