Texas Women's Basketball 2019-2020 Season

LTtxfan

Unless we decide to use our last 'ship on someone, this is what we have:

PG: Kyra Lambert (GT SR), Joanne Allen-Taylor (JR), Isabel Palmer (SO), Ashley Chevalier (FR)

G: Audrey Warren (JR), Shae Routt (JR), Karisma Ortiz (JR), Celeste Taylor (SO), Shay Holle (FR)

F: Charli Collier (JR), DeYona' Gayston (FR)

P: Lauren Ebo (JR), Elysse Coleman (FR), Precious Johnson (FR)

We have no idea if Ebo has to sit out or not.  Really hoping not.  Vic has a lot of lineups he can tinker with.  I think 3 spots are pretty lined up - Collier, Taylor, Lambert.  Ebo if she doesn't have to sit out a year.  If she does, I really hope our FR are ready to play. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Js1 said:

It’s a fairly weak in-state class so grabbing the top TX player (Harmon) and the top OK player (Moore) in the last couple days - 

Vic just plunked his nuts all over Kim and Sherri’s faces already. 

CDC continues to give me hope with our next mens BB, FB and baseball hires. 

Foundation called me this week because I've not renewed fb, my rep laughed with excitement when I told him that I needed WBB & Softball ticket paperwork. Then he realized I was serious when I asked to transfer my Baseball money for 2019 to WBB &/or Softball.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Pancho said:

Does Aston take a gap year?  She’s be tweeting so hopefully in good spirits. 

Didn't Aston just have two gap years while at Texas??

giphy.gif

Edited by LTtxfan

10 hours ago, Js1 said:

With Vic’s recruiting and transfers, I think we were projected 1 scholly over already beginning 2021-22 so a 2021 recruit is gone

They aren't done in the '21 class either. They want Teonni Key (5 star wing) and Kyndall Hunter (5 star guard) is HS teammates with Harmon so they have connections there. 

There's likely to be more attrition on the roster because Schaeffer is building the roster with his players. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, texasstrong12 said:

They aren't done in the '21 class either. They want Teonni Key (5 star wing) and Kyndall Hunter (5 star guard) is HS teammates with Harmon so they have connections there. 

There's likely to be more attrition on the roster because Schaeffer is building the roster with his players. 

I could see someone like Shae Routt leave or retire. Too many injuries. Or Izzy Palmer. 

3 hours ago, texasstrong12 said:

There are already 5 signees in the '20 class and that's not including the possibility of Madison Hayes. 

That class is too big. My guess is one of those lower ranked signees doesn't make it to Texas or transfers before the end of next cycle. 

I’d guess one of Johnson/Coleman. Two bigs in one class doesn’t work well and Ebo has 2 seasons. 

On 5/2/2020 at 9:21 AM, Pancho said:

Does Aston take a gap year?  She’s be tweeting so hopefully in good spirits. 

Still very disappointed that Aston did not release a public statement after her departure.   Know it is difficult,  but you just do it.   Even Charlie Strong and Connie Clark issued statements wishing success for the players and programs.

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

I’d guess one of Johnson/Coleman. Two bigs in one class doesn’t work well and Ebo has 2 seasons. 

They're definitely still looking to add to the '21 class. This is another 5 star guard. 

Beyond that, it's kind of a dick thing to say but 3 star talent isn't 5 star talent. It's brutal but you have to stack the roster with players that you think you can win with. When you're landing 5 star talent you don't want 3 stars. That's just how it goes. 

We saw this in softball too where White nudged some players out the door for more talented players. 

Edited by texasstrong12

3 minutes ago, perfectchaos007 said:

In the first few years of the Aston era she was landing 5 star talent but her last few years she was clearly getting diminishing returns. Turns out, the top players want to play for a program they think can win.

There was definitely a drop off in talent but Chevalier and Holle are still very good recruits. Both top 100 recruits. Chevalier would have probably been a 5 star if not for some injury issues. She was a 5 star until the most recent update from ESPN. 

But my guess is JS is probably right. One of Coleman and Johnson likely won't be here long. It's all about talent maximization and you don't want two 3 star bigs in the same class when you're landing 5 star talent. 

1 hour ago, texasstrong12 said:

There was definitely a drop off in talent but Chevalier and Holle are still very good recruits. Both top 100 recruits. Chevalier would have probably been a 5 star if not for some injury issues. She was a 5 star until the most recent update from ESPN. 

But my guess is JS is probably right. One of Coleman and Johnson likely won't be here long. It's all about talent maximization and you don't want two 3 star bigs in the same class when you're landing 5 star talent. 

Chevalier and Holle are legit. We need Chevalier to learn the PG position because you always need a backup and Harmon doesn’t get here until 2021 (and Lambert is gone by then). Gaston was a top 5 recruit pre-injuries. 

Both of Coleman/Johnson are obsolete with Ebo if she gets a waiver. One of those 2 ends up 3rd in the depth chart for two years. Or worse if post-Ebo/Collier, we are running out a Gaston/Moore combo at the 4/5 like we did Collier/Holmes. 

I'm not sure where Ortiz is going to play. PG or the 2 but she's only a Sophomore. A lot of really good schools wanted her when she transferred from Penn State. 

The way this staff is recruiting they might even be taking 2 more in the '21 class. There are some players on the roster with injury histories so there might be some medical "retirements" coming. Everyone knows about Routt's injuries but Warren has had several concussions already. 

The one player i hope we keep is Isabel Palmer. I think shes going to be a player in a year or two. 

Izzy, Lambert, Chevalier and Allen-Taylor can all play the 1 or 2. There’s not going to be enough PT to go around. Even after Lambert graduates, then it’s Harmon.  Not to mention Holle, Celeste, Ortiz

On 5/3/2020 at 12:44 PM, texasstrong12 said:

They're definitely still looking to add to the '21 class. This is another 5 star guard. 

Beyond that, it's kind of a dick thing to say but 3 star talent isn't 5 star talent. It's brutal but you have to stack the roster with players that you think you can win with. When you're landing 5 star talent you don't want 3 stars. That's just how it goes. 

We saw this in softball too where White nudged some players out the door for more talented players. 

Texas WBB started following Hall. As they did just prior to commitments from Lambert, Ebo, Gaston, Harmon and Moore 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/4/2020 at 5:43 PM, Js1 said:

Izzy, Lambert, Chevalier and Allen-Taylor can all play the 1 or 2. There’s not going to be enough PT to go around. Even after Lambert graduates, then it’s Harmon.  Not to mention Holle, Celeste, Ortiz

Ortiz might be the best player out of the bunch. I've had a couple people tell me that she was taking it to our guards in practices last year. 

29 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

Ortiz might be the best player out of the bunch. I've had a couple people tell me that she was taking it to our guards in practices last year. 

Good. If she can play legit defense, Vic has a good 1-2-3-4 in Lambert, Ortiz, Taylor, Collier. 

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...