Texas Women's Basketball 2019-2020 Season

LTtxfan

15 minutes ago, Pancho said:

I thought Texas would be a step up for Walz, but happy with Vic.  I think I'm gussing MSU is a step down because you'd have to live in Starkville. I'd rather live in Amarillo. 

Texas would definitely be a step up for Walz.  No doubt.  

• Storied program
  • New arena
  • Strong basketball conference on the men's side (really helps recruiting) 
  • Willing to pay upwards of $2 million

The only thing that may have been a negative in Walz's favor is the lack of Texas ties.  Don't need another Goestenkors to come in here with her Yankee assistants and completely fucking up the culture.  

For Vic - he's a Texas boy, he is well connected with the Texas programs from his aggy days and he recruited heavily in Texas at MSU, and he's bringing at least 2 assistants with Texas/Big 12 ties. 

Edited by Js1
  • Like 2

For those that may not have seen,  below is an interview with Vic.   Really enthusiastic, great personality, great fit.   FF to 11:45 for nice comments about the oft maligned Chris Plonsky.   🙂

Edited by torre

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

All signs point to McCray. Vic can announce his staff tomorrow

You happen to know more about the staff members? Vic mentioned in an interview with Craig that Blair was off and running on Sunday. Curious if he'll build a deep staff, if he brings them all or decides to add new members and what type of budget he received.

9 minutes ago, Goodman said:

You happen to know more about the staff members? Vic mentioned in an interview with Craig that Blair was off and running on Sunday. Curious if he'll build a deep staff, if he brings them all or decides to add new members and what type of budget he received.

Seems like all 3 and Blair are coming. Nice bumps for the assistants - rumor is Harris was offered $450-$500k for associate head coach. 

2 minutes ago, Js1 said:

6’4 P Lauren Ebo from PSU started following Texas WBB. Was about to commit to a transfer from Penn St to Miss St prior to Vic’s move. Silence since. Would help bolster our post rotation 

Man, this reminds me of White coming in. I expect this to not be for the weak.

Texas WBB is now following Kyra Lambert (PG from Duke who is grad transferring and played HS ball in San Antonio):

2019-2020:  5.8 ppg, 3.3 rpg, 40% FG, 33% 3FG, 74% FT, 50 assists/37 TO
2016-2017: 7.8 ppg, 3.7 rpg, 43.6% FG, 39.7% 3FG, 74% FT, 116 assists/58 TO
2015-2016: 6.2 ppg, 2.8 rpg, 38% FG, 32.1% 3FG, 66% FT, 79 assists/62 TO

Lambert had a STELLAR sophomore season before tearing her ACL in the NCAA tournament in 2016, recovered all of her junior year, and then tore her ACL in the preseason in 2018.  I'd be shocked if she didn't request a medical RS year to get an extra year (I believe she took a RS her junior year).  She's only played 3 seasons and lost her 2018-2019 season. 

Texas WBB is also following DeYona' Gaston (6'2 F out of Pearland, #90 in the 2020 class) 

Biggest WHAT THE FUCK transfer is Shakira Austin to Ole Miss.  Austin was the #4 overall player in 2018 (6'5 F) who averaged 12 ppg and 6.8 rpg at Maryland last year.  Her position coach was hired by Ole Miss.  

Ole Miss was 7-23 last year.  Maryland is constantly an E8/FF contender. 

8 hours ago, perfectchaos007 said:

She went 36th in a 36 player draft. What a big sigh of relief she must have felt when her name was called. 

Nah...  Probably better to go undrafted than be selected at #36.  That way Sug can choose the best situation for her to hopefully make the roster.

Zaay Green picked Aggy.  That was what everyone thought when she went through recruitment originally. She committed to Kansas, decommitted and chose Tenn. 

Last ship either to someone we don’t know about or Vic holds it for 2021

14 hours ago, perfectchaos007 said:

Damn, one bad season and she voluntarily steps down. Gotta respect a coach that knows when it's time to leave without having to be dragged out by the admin

She's 64.  33 years at one stop.  I think this was always the plan.  From all accounts, she knew it would be a rougher year than ND fans are used to, so she stayed on to take the bad season and hand a better one over to Ivey.