Dolemite Is My Name

mdmost

9 hours ago, mdleast said:

Bonus fun fact: Various clips from the Dolemite movie were used throughout Ol' Dirty Bastard's video for "Got Your Money"

I dont remember that vid.   I loved that song and whole CD.

16 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

The original looks to have some great lines. I need to look it up.

”I want you out of here in 24 hours, and 23 are already gone.”

Dolemite was funny as fuck back in the day.      

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
50 minutes ago, Bama Chick said:

Really good. And I about died at this closed captioning during Sly and the Family Stone song in the opening scene. It’s supposed to be “Thank you for letting me be myself”.

cf3b080bf28c1c99c34bb8f211264b2e.jpg

That's the correct spelling. Seriously.

Edited by RPM
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, Doyle Hargreaves said:

I lived it for many reasons. First the story was perfect. But mainly seeing Eddie do raunchy comedy again. Perfect vehicle for him to get back to where he belongs. SNL and stand up coming soon. Pumped!

Me too! I still think Eddie is one of the funniest comedians ever. Coming to America, Trading Places, and Beverly Hills Cop to me are some of my favorite movies  and still hold up. He just did a ton of "paycheck" films over the last 2 decades to feed his 10 children. This movie was great and feels like the return of the funnier Eddie Murphy. I can't wait for his SNL appearance and future stand up routines. I found this article from last month recently.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/09/26/movies/eddie-murphy.html

Over the years, Murphy has teased fans with talk of a comeback, but this time, inspired by “Dolemite,” he appears to mean it. He signed a deal with Netflix to put out a new special next year, and has a theater tour lined up, which means he could be in clubs working out jokes soon.

“I didn’t want to just pop back up,” he said. “I wanted a funny movie to remind them that they liked me. This movie turned out so strong that I figured this is a great way to come back.”

His return to stand-up will be part of a broader reboot of the decade that made Murphy a star. In December, two months after the Oct. 4 theatrical premiere of “Dolemite” (it moves to Netflix on Oct. 25), he’s hosting “Saturday Night Live,” for the first time since 1984 (before that he was a cast member for four years). And 30 years later, Murphy is working on a sequel, also directed by Brewer, to his 1988 hit “Coming to America” with the original characters. “I’m kind of looking at this period as a bookend,” Murphy said. “I hadn’t been back to ‘S.N.L.’ Let’s fix that. Let’s do stand-up again. That way, when I finally just sit on the couch, then it’s good.”

Referring to his most recent movie, a sober, uplifting drama from 2016, he added. “I don’t want to sit on the couch after ‘Mr. Church.’”

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Finally got to sit down and enjoy this movie.  As an enormous Eddie Murphy fan, this was a joy.  While not outwardly as laugh out loud as some of his previous work, there is a real sweetness and even a depth to the movie.  You really start to believe and root for Rudy (Eddie) and his craziness.  I really enjoyed the era and the quirkiness of the film.  The supporting cast is fantastic and Eddie's not the only one who shows he still has some entertainment chops.  Wesley Snipes is a revelation in the type of role we haven't seen him embrace since To Wong Foo???  Damn, Snipes is gold in this.  Really good movie with a sort of Rudy like quality of fearlessness....

Also, Eddie was brilliant on SNL a few weeks back.

• Like 3