mdmost

Dolemite Is My Name

Skeptical but I have high hopes that Eddie is gonna make some great stuff for the next decade or so then ride into the sunset. 

He's got ten children, 2-3 ex-wives, and a fiancee.  He either needs the money or wants out of the house - probably both.

Bonus fun fact: Various clips from the Dolemite movie were used throughout Ol' Dirty Bastard's video for "Got Your Money"

The first time watching the OG was very much wtf, great flick, glad Eddie Murphy is giving it some love. 

9 hours ago, mdleast said:

Bonus fun fact: Various clips from the Dolemite movie were used throughout Ol' Dirty Bastard's video for "Got Your Money"

I dont remember that vid.   I loved that song and whole CD.

16 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

The original looks to have some great lines. I need to look it up.

”I want you out of here in 24 hours, and 23 are already gone.”

Dolemite was funny as fuck back in the day.      

7 hours ago, SizzleChest said:

The greatest line ever in the history of cinema.

THiS! I had this set as the ringtone for my former supervisor...

Great flick. Murphy was fantastic. The supporting cast was outstanding. Great script. What's not to like?

Eddie Murphy still has it, this move is way better than anything he has done in a long time. Great that he is bringing back Rudy Ray Moore to younguns that may not have heard his stuff before too.

51 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

So Eddie was terrible in his last SNL appearance. Why bring him back? 

He was terrible in just about everything for years. It was kind of sad much like Chappelle was for awhile, they just lost the desire or something it seemed.

Really good. And I about died at this closed captioning during Sly and the Family Stone song in the opening scene. It’s supposed to be “Thank you for letting me be myself”.

cf3b080bf28c1c99c34bb8f211264b2e.jpg

50 minutes ago, Bama Chick said:

Really good. And I about died at this closed captioning during Sly and the Family Stone song in the opening scene. It’s supposed to be “Thank you for letting me be myself”.

cf3b080bf28c1c99c34bb8f211264b2e.jpg

That's the correct spelling. Seriously.

Edited by RPM

My name is Dolemite was awesome. I didn’t know Rudy Ray Moore’s story but I want to believe that this was factual.

Had me cheering for the crew by the end.

The guy who wrote Rudy's biography says it was pretty spot on. 

Edited by Deej

Dolomite is available to stream on Amazon Prime. Some of the scenes were taken from the sequels, like the sex scene.

I lived it for many reasons. First the story was perfect. But mainly seeing Eddie do raunchy comedy again. Perfect vehicle for him to get back to where he belongs. SNL and stand up coming soon. Pumped!

4 hours ago, Doyle Hargreaves said:

I lived it for many reasons. First the story was perfect. But mainly seeing Eddie do raunchy comedy again. Perfect vehicle for him to get back to where he belongs. SNL and stand up coming soon. Pumped!

Me too! I still think Eddie is one of the funniest comedians ever. Coming to America, Trading Places, and Beverly Hills Cop to me are some of my favorite movies  and still hold up. He just did a ton of "paycheck" films over the last 2 decades to feed his 10 children. This movie was great and feels like the return of the funnier Eddie Murphy. I can't wait for his SNL appearance and future stand up routines. I found this article from last month recently.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/09/26/movies/eddie-murphy.html

Over the years, Murphy has teased fans with talk of a comeback, but this time, inspired by “Dolemite,” he appears to mean it. He signed a deal with Netflix to put out a new special next year, and has a theater tour lined up, which means he could be in clubs working out jokes soon.

“I didn’t want to just pop back up,” he said. “I wanted a funny movie to remind them that they liked me. This movie turned out so strong that I figured this is a great way to come back.”

His return to stand-up will be part of a broader reboot of the decade that made Murphy a star. In December, two months after the Oct. 4 theatrical premiere of “Dolemite” (it moves to Netflix on Oct. 25), he’s hosting “Saturday Night Live,” for the first time since 1984 (before that he was a cast member for four years). And 30 years later, Murphy is working on a sequel, also directed by Brewer, to his 1988 hit “Coming to America” with the original characters. “I’m kind of looking at this period as a bookend,” Murphy said. “I hadn’t been back to ‘S.N.L.’ Let’s fix that. Let’s do stand-up again. That way, when I finally just sit on the couch, then it’s good.”

Referring to his most recent movie, a sober, uplifting drama from 2016, he added. “I don’t want to sit on the couch after ‘Mr. Church.’”

Finally got around to watching it tonight. Loved the attention to detail in it - both the outfits and scenes they were replicating but also the detail of the movies/posters in the background of the scenes.

I saw a couple of things that took me back. One was the glass coke bottle with the polystyrene wrap. I could hear my young self peeling that shit off. 

The quote about Cosby was a nice touch.  I wonder if that was Eddie's doing or something Rudy actually said.   Several laugh out loud moments.  Supporting cast was gold.  Wesley Snipes should get a Supporting Actor nod.