WiFi range (not penis) extenders

Any of you know of a way to make my AT&T internet expand from my front curb to the back and across a few levels of the house? I was going to buy the ATT range extender, but it gets shit reviews. There is a google version and an apple one too i believe. All I know is that my apple devices have a difficult time connecting anyway. My apple devices are much faster going through cellular network than the Internet. It’s a strange problem that I’m trying to solve. 

Also- do you guys know how I can extend my penis? Maybe some stretches or lasers? Pills maybe?

1 minute ago, Gucci_Suit said:

Any of you know of a way to make my AT&T internet expand from my front curb to the back and across a few levels of the house? I was going to buy the ATT range extender, but it gets shit reviews. There is a google version and an apple one too i believe. All I know is that my apple devices have a difficult time connecting anyway. My apple devices are much faster going through cellular network than the Internet. It’s a strange problem that I’m trying to solve. 

Also- do you guys know how I can extend my penis? Maybe some stretches or lasers? Pills maybe?

I had this issue. My Uverse wifi fucking sucked. I got the google mesh, and it's working fucking great thus far. They sell the kits at Costco and amazon.

I had this issue. My Uverse wifi fucking sucked. I got the google mesh, and it's working fucking great thus far. They sell the kits at Costco and amazon.

This, have one too. Got not signal on back patio now it’s full strength.

Even an idiot could set it up .

Pps: slam dick in door and back away to make it bigger

I told my FIL to disable his built-in modem WiFi and just use the Google system, but he didn't listen. Seems to work fine still, but not really sure what it would impact. My thought was they would be two separate networks so there was no benefit to running both. I don't know though.

My modem is just a modem so not an option for me.

I have the Netgear R7800, which Smallnetbuilder says is the best overall router.  I positioned it to get coverage on my front porch and back porch, but the garage apartment in the very back had spotty coverage as a result.  So I bought the Netgear EX8000 extender, which effectively creates a mesh network by providing a unique backhaul channel  to the router so there's no backhaul travelling over the 5G or 2.4G networks.

Now I have full coverage into the middle of the neighbor's yards and across the street.  That EX8000 is powerful.

• Hook 'Em 1

19 hours ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

I use the eero mesh. It was so easy even I could get it set up. Works great and is very reliable.

This is what I have as well and I love it.  I get a great signal anywhere at my house and the app for managing it is awesome.  The true mesh system is what you need whehter you go with google or eero.  This is what I have.

https://eero.com/shop/pro-wifi-system

I don't know how big your house is, but they do make another system with one primary AP and one that plugs into an outlet.  It also works pretty well.  Don't but the eero from the link I posted above though.  They can be bought for much less than that link.

For those who have ATT, did you disable the wifi on the uverse router/modem to utilize the google or just used it in addition?

I just bought the Netgear Orbi. I found this article today on the way to correctly set up the ATT gateway...

https://www.att.com/esupport/article.html#!/smb-internet/KM1188700?isreauth=true&gsi=w2s82j

10 hours ago, Gucci_Suit said:

This is all good stuff. I think I’ll try just buying a damn good router and then add the mesh system if that doesn’t work. I’ll report back. 

Thanks!

Mesh system runs without a separate router. I bought the Velop system and have zero complaints outside of the price. WiFi runs seamless all over and around the house for the first time ever.

Here are my speed test results from the furthest corner of my yard through several walls and a trampoline. I have the Eero system.

f58e48763279e654b13a27bf0d48e64d.jpg

And here is the speed test the AP connecting directly to the ATT router runs several times every day.

fc67de07508d83f2a4524406da355db9.jpg

17 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Same for me.  I also followed the advice to buy a quality router that gets good reviews by people that seem to know. The $30 WiFi routers and the “free” ones from the ISP all suck. 

Pro tip from someone who used to build these for a living:

Never spend less than $200 on a wireless router. There is literally no way to make anything decent under $100, and something that even has the hardware to keep up with the spec is going to start around that price.

And I'm taking about the BOM alone, before you even add in any semblance of profit margin.

Get the Google Wifi (mesh).  It's spendy (for 3), but it's been a flawless system for us.  Also, if you have kids, the ability to shut off/set time limits for the ability for them to use wireless devices with which they might be getting a bit too obsessed, it makes that super easy.

Edited by dcbc

Got Fiber and the router that comes with it is shit beyond 20 feet or through a wall. Even standing next to it, my iPhone is faster on a 2-bar network connection. The range extender I have somehow actually makes the signal worse so I stopped using it. Have another router that was pretty expensive (couple years old though) and it sucks too. At this point, I just feel like nothing works and I’m now too gun-shy to shell out the money for a mesh system

17 minutes ago, SquishMitten said:

Got Fiber and the router that comes with it is shit beyond 20 feet or through a wall. Even standing next to it, my iPhone is faster on a 2-bar network connection. The range extender I have somehow actually makes the signal worse so I stopped using it. Have another router that was pretty expensive (couple years old though) and it sucks too. At this point, I just feel like nothing works and I’m now too gun-shy to shell out the money for a mesh system

If you belong to Costco you can take it back no questions asked within 90 days of purchase.  I have the Xfinity standard modem and I disabled its wifi signal and connected my Orbi system (with one base and one satellite) to it via 5e ethernet cable.  It works very well.  

So here’s what I did. 

First off, I just bought a new house and it’s a bit of an unusual design. The house is built into the side of a hill in central Austin and is split into 3 levels, all at ground level due to the hill. The house was built in 1974 and features thick wood and limestone throughout. 

Anyway, I stood at Best Buy looking at both Google and Eero mesh systems for like 45 min. Because I am at times a cheap son of bitch, I opted for the Google system. 

So I get it home and it was a breeze to install. Only issue I ran in to was that suddenly my ATT wireless receivers didn’t work at all. So, I googled that and discovered that they only work with the crap ass ATT router. I went back to the modem and plugged the ATT router into the modem and it all snapped back into place. But- because every other device was connected to the google system, the wireless receivers now work much better. 

As of now, I’m really pleased. The google system is providing 800mbps service to the TVs (Netflix, amazon, etc) and all the devices. The unburdened ATT router is providing decent service to the wireless boxes in bedrooms. 

So far so good. Thanks for the help guys!

25 minutes ago, Gucci_Suit said:

So here’s what I did. 

First off, I just bought a new house and it’s a bit of an unusual design. The house is built into the side of a hill in central Austin and is split into 3 levels, all at ground level due to the hill. The house was built in 1974 and features thick wood and limestone throughout. 

Anyway, I stood at Best Buy looking at both Google and Eero mesh systems for like 45 min. Because I am at times a cheap son of bitch, I opted for the Google system. 

So I get it home and it was a breeze to install. Only issue I ran in to was that suddenly my ATT wireless receivers didn’t work at all. So, I googled that and discovered that they only work with the crap ass ATT router. I went back to the modem and plugged the ATT router into the modem and it all snapped back into place. But- because every other device was connected to the google system, the wireless receivers now work much better. 

As of now, I’m really pleased. The google system is providing 800mbps service to the TVs (Netflix, amazon, etc) and all the devices. The unburdened ATT router is providing decent service to the wireless boxes in bedrooms. 

So far so good. Thanks for the help guys!

Yeah but what about your tiny penis??

I have a Linksys AC1750 router that got good reviews. I bought a traditional router instead of a mesh system because it has multiple Ethernet ports that allows me to hard wire my AppleTV, PS4, and AV receiver. I thought it might help each of those to run more smoothly if not dependent on WiFi, plus it frees up the WiFi network for other devices.

All of that has worked great, but we moved to a new house and I think we’ll need a range extender to reach the guest bedroom. The Linksys range extenders get mediocre reviews. Do I need to buy Linksys range extenders for a Linksys router or can I use a different brand? Or scrap it all and start fresh?

On 8/12/2019 at 7:34 PM, Spur08 said:

For those who have ATT, did you disable the wifi on the uverse router/modem to utilize the google or just used it in addition?

Also did Google mesh and very please.  The first Google puck plugs into a wired connection to the Uverse hub.  I didn't bother to turn off the uverse wifi, that just has a different SSID, and I made sure none of my devices automatically connect to the Uverse SSID, so it doesn't matter that it is still on.  I believe there are pretty simple directions do turn it off if you want.

• 2 weeks later...

If you belong to Costco you can take it back no questions asked within 90 days of purchase.  I have the Xfinity standard modem and I disabled its wifi signal and connected my Orbi system (with one base and one satellite) to it via 5e ethernet cable.  It works very well.  

Did you connect both the base and sat to the modem or just connect the base?

• 8 months later...

My wifi works great in our small house, with the one exception of two rooms at the very end of the house.  So I am looking for the simpliest plug and play range extender.  I don't think that is the same as the mesh systems you guys are talking about. 

So I need a booster seat, but for the internets.

11 hours ago, tantric superman said:

My wifi works great in our small house, with the one exception of two rooms at the very end of the house.  So I am looking for the simpliest plug and play range extender.  I don't think that is the same as the mesh systems you guys are talking about. 

Depending on how small your house is, you may find that the right wi-fi router will push a good signal into every room. I used to have either the basic (free) router given to me by the ISP or I bought a $30 router that had the latest specs.  The result was that the room (master bedroom) furthest from the router had frequent signal drops. In 2017 I bought a quality Linksys router and the drops disappeared. 3+ years and still going strong.

You also may want to see if you can move your router to a central location to limit the signal from having to travel through many walls. 

The problem with any plug-in extender you buy, is that it’s going to relay the strength of the signal it’s receiving, and not for a very long distance. And it will require its own login. A mesh system taps directly into the main router, covers the entire house at the speed you are paying for, and provides seamless integration to your devices. IE the same network for the whole house, not a unique login to your $30 Amazon extender. You will be far happier with a mesh system.

The problem with any plug-in extender you buy, is that it’s going to relay the strength of the signal it’s receiving, and not for a very long distance. And it will require its own login. A mesh system taps directly into the main router, covers the entire house at the speed you are paying for, and provides seamless integration to your devices. IE the same network for the whole house, not a unique login to your $30 Amazon extender. You will be far happier with a mesh system.
I thought an AP, mesh or not, was linear as far as the received signal was.

Example: for even numbers sake, a 100 meg down signal at the hardwired base. If the ap area was at 50% signal OTA, wouldn't the output DL be 50 meg?

Not sure but that is what I have always heard.

I just ditched the extender I’ve had for the last year for Google Nest. I was so tired of walking in my house and connecting to the EXT network, then be sitting on my couch with shitty internet because I’m still on the EXT. I’m sure there was a way to fix that, but now my whole house is on one seamless network.

There isn’t a way to fix it. That’s why we’ve all been praising the mesh systems. They are worth every penny just so that you don’t have to manage your connection. It’s especially true now during the WFH era. I’ve got a desktop, 3 laptops, a printer, and 3 phones connected to my wireless system and it works beautifully. The phones and laptops are moved around the house seamlessly and I have no real “dead spots”.

• 1 month later...
On 8/15/2019 at 7:48 AM, SquishMitten said:

This is me.  We have the AT&T router.  It sucks.  The Orbi connected to it is even worse.  This needs resolution.  I'm beyond frustrated.  

• 2 weeks later...

this thread was a lifesaver.  I've been struggling with slow wifi on the far reaches of my house.  picked up the Google Nest on sale from Costco 2 weeks ago (4 pack for $400) and it was revolutionary.  far reaches of the house are getting nearly 20x better download speeds than before.  thank you all.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Costco has the Google Nest (4 pack for $299).  I just purchased the 1st generation Google WiFi from Woot (3 pack for $174), but it has yet to be delivered.  I opted for the 1st generation because each puck has Ethernet ports which I'd like to use to hook directly to our main TV.  If the Google Nest had Ethernet ports, I would return the 1st gen and get the Google Nest.   I read that the Google Nest is backwards compatible to old style, so I might get both and only use the old style with the TV.

While the 4 pack should be more than ample to cover our 1 story house, is there a draw back by having the mesh in every room (a total of five remote units)?

On 6/24/2020 at 6:16 PM, Sbbruin said:

This is me.  We have the AT&T router.  It sucks.  The Orbi connected to it is even worse.  This needs resolution.  I'm beyond frustrated.  

How is your Orbi not working?  I have an Orbi (base with 2 satellites) and it is great.  Fast and the whole house has great coverage even though the router is in the basement.

• Like 1

I think Orbi makes routers as well as mesh systems. If he connected an Orbi and still has bad performance, it could be a line issue into his house. It could be several different things. We need a little more info than “this thing sucks” to be able to provide any help.

• Hook 'Em 1

I went eero and agree that it is super easy to install, even with Uverse.  I wired one eero straight into the gateway and then placed the other two boxes across the house and was able to get the same shitty internet speed across the entire house.   I may or may not have bought a new house so I can get fiber internet and am eagerly looking forward to putting them in the new pad.

• Like 1

They can, but I would put the router into bridge mode. The Google system will create a completely separate network that you will name, but it can sometimes cause confusion if you've had a printer connect to the cox network.  If you have a power outage and the cox reboots first, it may grab an address from that which may be a different ip range from your Google network.  When you go to print, you may not be able to find it and then you'll have to make sure the printer connects to the correct network.  I would run only one for less confusion. 

• Like 1