2019 Heisman Trophy Race

satyanash

Burrow or Fields would be my pick. Burrow for the competition (even in name only, shitty defenses aside), and Fields for putting up video game numbers. Tua will probably get it just because it's a popularity contest, sadly. If Fields can beat Wisconsin (assuming twice), it would be criminal not to give it to him (assuming no slip ups along the way). 

as i said above, this is all burrow, tua, fields, and hurts at this point.  wisc rb will get talk but after he gets shut down in columbus, that's gone.  burrow-tua winner takes a step up.  if fields looks good and beats down wisc, penn st, and mich, he has a real shot.

On 10/14/2019 at 10:06 PM, Spider2YBanana said:

Burrow or Fields would be my pick. Burrow for the competition (even in name only, shitty defenses aside), and Fields for putting up video game numbers. Tua will probably get it just because it's a popularity contest, sadly. If Fields can beat Wisconsin (assuming twice), it would be criminal not to give it to him (assuming no slip ups along the way). 

Fields is putting up video game numbers, but Tua is "sadly" ahead due to popularity contest?

Fields - 98/141 (69.5%), 1298 yards, 9.2 ypa, 18 TD, 1 INT, 187.5 rating, 12 sacks

Tua - 134/182 (73.6%), 2011 yards, 11.0 ypa, 27 TD, 1 INT, 214.3 rating, 7 sacks

Tua is obliterating Fields' "video game stats" in literally every single category. This goes along with your comments on the Ramsey trade and CeeDee not being a 1st round WR. Maybe read more and post less dude? 

26 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

Not that I disagree, but Fields has got rushing TDs you need to factor in as well.

Very fair.  Tua rushing: 35 yds, 2 TD; Fields rushing: 283 yds, 8 TD.  Don't think that comes close to bridging the stats gap, but always try to present the full accurate picture.

And FWIW, I think Fields is a great QB, and wouldn't object to him winning it. Just objected to the idiotic notion that Tua was undeservingly just pushed forward as a name who didn't earn it on the field.

• 2 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, alincoln said:

The irony being that the Heisman died when it was awarded to an RB instead of a QB from one of the top-five teams.  

Has the Heisman ever been anything other than an offensive skill position award?  It's never been the award that the fans claim they want, yet we act like it's only become pointless recently. 

20 minutes ago, alincoln said:

The irony being that the Heisman died when it was awarded to an RB instead of a QB from one of the top-five teams.  

The Heisman was essentially the "best Notre Dame player" award for a while in the 1940s and '50s, culminating in Paul Hornung's selection.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
17 hours ago, Horn Dogg said:

Well find out how good he really is when he goes up against either Ohio State or Clemson defense.

Right?!? I mean Georgia, Florida, and Alabama have shit defenses. If this guy has a bad game or two, I don’t think my opinion will change. He’s been fucking great this year. I thought his performance against Texas was a fluke, but he played consistently lights out all season.

On 10/14/2019 at 5:39 PM, sidis said:

right now, i am probably voting for burrow but at the end of the day, that will be determined by his performance at bama.  if he beats them, you can go ahead and call it.  if lsu pulls its typical pussy lay down and take a beating against them, then burrow will likely be out.  if it is a close shootout, probably doesn't hurt him.  obviously, a lot riding on that game between them.

hurts will get little credit with the remaining schedule regardless of stats.  if texas and ou rematch, that is his opportunity to jump back in.

fields still gets to do his thing against wisconsin, penn state, michigan, and probably wisconsin again.  if he lights them up, it's hard to imagine him not taking it, with burrow and either tua or hurts up there depending on what happens in the remaining games.  if burrow lights up bama, shut it down.

this was correct on 10/14 and remains correct.

burrow wins, fields second.  young is probably third after the int fest that hurts has put on in the last few weeks.

lawrence and his teammates sit at home stewing and getting prepared.

This is an objectively easy year.  Burrow should win easily, even if the vote gave Young a fair shot.  He sat out 2 games.  Fields and Young should both have won in weaker years, but not this year.

On the bitching front, OU's QB hype machine is very impressive.  Hurts was arguably a liability for them in close games, including both Baylor games.  He's kind of a turnover machine in the clutch.  Yet he gets to go to NYC.  CeeDee Lamb should be there instead if you really need a Sooner to round out the list.

Tough to recruit a QB against that.  Maybe you use the fact that "OUs next Heisman invite is going to someone playing QB at another school right now."

But I'm sooooo tired of it all.

On 10/1/2019 at 9:40 AM, WBT said:

He's not going to finish with the highest rating of all time.  You should be asking how many QB could have his rating playing for OU against UH, South Dakota, UCLA, and Tech.  A real murderers' row of defenses there.  My guess is at least a dozen.

2 minutes ago, Liquor and Poker said:

This is an objectively easy year.  Burrow should win easily, even if the vote gave Young a fair shot.  He sat out 2 games.  Fields and Young should both have won in weaker years, but not this year.

On the bitching front, OU's QB hype machine is very impressive.  Hurts was arguably a liability for them in close games, including both Baylor games.  He's kind of a turnover machine in the clutch.  Yet he gets to go to NYC.  CeeDee Lamb should be there instead if you really need a Sooner to round out the list.

Tough to recruit a QB against that.  Maybe you use the fact that "OUs next Heisman invite is going to someone playing QB at another school right now."

But I'm sooooo tired of it all.

Jalen definitely had some turnovers at inopportune times. He did also, despite what WBT said, finish with a higher pass efficiency rating than every previous season in history (though behind 2019 Tua and 2019 Burrow). That rating doesn't include his 219/1255/18 TD rush stats (or his receiving TD!). His numbers, not just his helmet/hype, justify his inclusion, though of course Burrow will very deservingly win the award.

1 minute ago, TXSooner518 said:

Jalen definitely had some turnovers at inopportune times. He did also, despite what WBT said, finish with a higher pass efficiency rating than every previous season in history (though behind 2019 Tua and 2019 Burrow). That rating doesn't include his 219/1255/18 TD rush stats (or his receiving TD!). His numbers, not just his helmet/hype, justify his inclusion, though of course Burrow will very deservingly win the award.

Just imagine him without #2 and tell me he deserves the award.

For me, primarily a Pitt fan, I've been pissed since Hugh Green did not win the Heisman, rather George Rogers won. Green had 460 tackles, 53 sacks, 24 forced fumbles and 22 passes defended in his four years at Pitt. In 1980 Green had 123 tackles, 77 were solo, 17 sacks, 7 forced fumbles/4 recovered, six passes broken up and 17 QB hurries in 12 games.

Chase Young, who has been fantastic at times, has 44 tackles, 31 are solo, 16.5 sacks, 6 forced fumbles & 3 passes broken up in 10 games.

Throw in Larry Fitzgerald not winning, Crappy Jason White won, and the award, to me, is crap.

Edited by PittsburghTiger
  • Like 2

Just now, TXSooner518 said:

I get that, and I generally prefer stats-based analyses, but man he did not pass the eye test like Mayfield and Murray did. He seemed buoyed by the offensive system and skill position talent, while the other two seemed to take the offense to a new level.

I'm hardly upset, his numbers are great, but I'd have preferred one of the awesome RBs this year (Hubbard, Taylor, Dobbins) in his place.

the thing about hurts is that his pass efficiency is hugely aided by guys like ceedee breaking about a hundred tackles per catch and running for an additional 30 yards and shit.  that can be incredibly helpful to efficiency, as does throwing screen passes to rbs that run forever with them.

that said, you don't want want him dropping back and throwing the ball with the game on the line.  that's why they never do that in a must-convert situation.  lincoln always runs him in that situation (and most of the time, remarkably it works).

that said, he definitely deserves the toughest player in the country award.  the fucker has SEVENTY-FOUR (74) more rushing attempts than their starting running back for god's sake.  he rushed the ball 219 (ricky williams had 279 attempts in 97) times and he has taken hits on a huge percentage of them.  in both baylor games, he took some absolute shots from their defenders to the point that i didn't think he would get back up and nope, there is popping up like nothing even happened every single time.  dude is strong and tough as shit and is going to not be able to feed himself after the age of 40.