2019 Heisman Trophy Race

satyanash

On 8/24/2019 at 11:43 AM, Longboard Horn said:

Who cares? I personally have not given a shit about the Heisman since Colt was snubbed in 2009.

On 8/30/2019 at 9:21 PM, Bullneck said:

2005 is when things obviously went out of whack.

Peterson invited over Ced in 2004 for me.  If nothing else, career accomplishment should have been a tie breaker between the two, although I would have been fine with both being there.

13 hours ago, BluTechsan said:

Finally!!!

Acknowledgement that it IS a team award.

Glad we cleared that up.

Of course it is. Only one Heisman winner on a team with a losing record, but over 50 with undefeated or 1-loss records. Maybe the team does have something to do with it...

Updateded front runners are:

Justin Fields - dominant against a hapless Nebraska. Flavor of the moment 

Jalen Hurts - Texas Tech QB numbers in Texas Tech system but at OU so Heisman talk (see Baker, Kyler)

Joe Burrow - Texas game win still keeping him here. Auburn and Bama game looms 

Tua - Name recognition on undefeated Bama 

Jonathan Taylor - A RB on a undefeated team that actually runs the football 

Edited by Neonmoon

2 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Just give it to Hurts now. If its even close, the voters will want to make history for OU. Fuck Billy Sims.

The best team OU has played thus far is a 1-2 Houston. The other two are 0-3 (and one is FBS)! How much easier could OU make it for Hurts? At least Lawrence has played a team above .500.

1 minute ago, n64ra said:

The best team OU has played thus far is a 1-2 Houston. The other two are 0-3 (and one is FBS)! How much easier could OU make it for Hurts? At least Lawrence has played a team above .500.

Hurts is going to carve up the Big 12 just as he did the non-con opponents. Lincoln Riley is playing a different game than everyone else and Big 12 defenses are going to be completely ineffective against it.

5 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Just give it to Hurts now. If its even close, the voters will want to make history for OU. Fuck Billy Sims.

benefit of the doubt goes to the Oklahoma QB, proviso added circa 2003

It is a meaningless award now, because any OU QB with a pulse wins it-- they're the only program that gets that kind of treatment although "Alabama running back" has also been unduly rewarded twice recently. 

4 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Hurts is going to carve up the Big 12 just as he did the non-con opponents. Lincoln Riley is playing a different game than everyone else and Big 12 defenses are going to be completely ineffective against it.

That may be true so give it to Hurts after he does it not before. To say Hurts deserves any award for beating 0-3 UCLA, 0-3 FBS SD, and 1-2 UH this season is ridiculous.

3 minutes ago, satyanash said:

There's a certain shamelessness to the way blOU runs its offense to pad QB stats. Hurts would never have put these numbers up at Alabama. You can't tell me he's anything but a system QB at this point.

Lol.  Hurts was limited significantly in the second half of all three games.  Quit crying.  OU’s offense is unmatched.  Their defense has been equally bad so there’s that.  

19 minutes ago, 'stache said:

LSU has only marquee win and Burrow’s numbers incredible.  He should be leading now.  

And OU will drop off slightly under Hurts.  I see OU fatigue among voters so no 3pete if all other things are equal.  

Tua finally gets a Bama QB one...Vegas agrees.  

20 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Massive disrespect for Ehlinger.

(The Athletic) Heisman Straw Poll: Jalen Hurts leads Tua Tagovailoa in our first staff survey

spacer.png

Wait, isn't the Heisman for the best college football player? I mean, stats are one good measure, but how about a player transferring away from a school because he wasn't their best QB, and then leading that very same QB in a Heisman straw poll? SMDH. 

• Like 3

Just now, satyanash said:

Ehlinger didn't lose shit. There's a long list of names of those responsible for the LSU loss, and Ehlinger's name is at the bottom of it.

Hey I didn't say it made any sense.

As the others start to lose and Ehlinger continues his excellence he will be back into contention.

28 minutes ago, ztejas said:

You've played Houston, South Dakota (lol), and UCLA. Let's see how he does in B12 play. 

I just mean in general.  You want to put money on them not ending up number 1?

I think the D improves a lot and the offense takes a small step back.  That still leaves their offense number 1.  

3 hours ago, satyanash said:

There's a certain shamelessness to the way blOU runs its offense to pad QB stats. Hurts would never have put these numbers up at Alabama. You can't tell me he's anything but a system QB at this point.

What way is that, efficiently?  Knock the competition all you want, but Hurts has come out of all 3 games early, even though the UH game was close enough to leave him in with no one batting an eye, and he played one drive in the 2H against S. Dakota. 10 of Hurts' 13 TDs have come in the first half of games.

On 9/4/2019 at 9:53 AM, WBT said:

Peterson invited over Ced in 2004 for me.  If nothing else, career accomplishment should have been a tie breaker between the two, although I would have been fine with both being there.

Peterson finished 2nd that year, Ced (RIP 🤘) finished 6th. Blame the voters if you want, but no one who finished 6th in the voting has gotten an invite.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

Sam and Jalen will flip when we beat OU. At that point, Sam will have 2100 yards 22 passing TDs to 2 INTs, 250 yards rushing and 3 TDs. And we will be #5 or #6 and Sam will be by far the biggest reason why. 

I hope this turns out to be accurate.

Can we please beat OSU and WV first?

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, TXSooner518 said:

Peterson finished 2nd that year, Ced (RIP 🤘) finished 6th. Blame the voters if you want, but no one who finished 6th in the voting has gotten an invite.

No shit, the whole discussion was an indictment of the voters being mindless idiots drawn to shiny things.  I responded to a post about VY losing to Reggie Bush.

1 hour ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

Trevor Lawrence has completed 61% of his passes for 831 yards, 5 TDs and 5 INTs. He has 55 yards rushing.

Sam Ehlinger has completed 73% of his passes for 956 yards, 11 TDs, and 0 INTs.  He has 121 yards rushing.

Guess which one The Athletic has in its Heisman race?

uhhh, the QB for the best team is leading the heisman race? i have to say, this is shocking. 

Just now, Casual Encounter said:

Can we just be happy to have our junior QB in this discussion? Holy fuck, it’s been a while. Just win.

I am very happy we are upset we lost to the #6 team in the country and our QB is in the Heisman discussion. Just two years ago we were just hoping to be bowl eligible.

27 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

I am very happy we are upset we lost to the #6 team in the country and our QB is in the Heisman discussion. Just two years ago we were just hoping to be bowl eligible.

I was in a "discussion" on the OSU board with a few geniuses who strongly disagreed with Sam even being mentioned as a possible Heisman contender.  You know, because he totally sucks.  Or at least he did two years ago against us when he was a freshman and probably wasn't great against last year.  So my dilemma is, if (or is it when?) Sam torches our soft D for 487 yds passing, 4 TDs, and 95 yards rushing, do I go back and gloat?    How does one tastefully gloat?  Maybe I'll just bump the thread or tag the geniuses and see what they say.  

22 hours ago, WBT said:

The most important stat to voters is team record and unfortunately Sam doesn't measure up.

These days you are right, which is sad for an award given to a those exhibiting 'outstanding performance'.

21 hours ago, Johnny Sack said:

Lawrence is having a bit of a sophomore slump.   He missed some easy TDs against aggy.  

I bet he gets on fire though.  He’s a badass. And so are his receivers Higgins and Ross

Maybe it's because Lawrence has played three P5 schools, as where Hurts has played one and Tua has played two.

21 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

That's a ridiculously simplistic way to look at it.  A great performance in a close loss to the #3 team isn't just any loss.

Assuming that's his only loss later on down the road he would work his way back into it, but as it stands right now he's behind regardless of stats.  Yes it's a ridiculously simplistic way to look at it, but that's the way it is.

21 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

Assuming that's his only loss later on down the road he would work his way back into it, but as it stands right now he's behind regardless of stats.  Yes it's a ridiculously simplistic way to look at it, but that's the way it is.

Yeah if the year ends and that remains his only loss he will at least be invited to New York.