The Righteous Gemstones (HBO)

Pancho

While other folks on the show may have better comedic acting chops...mainly because of the lines she gets---the sister has been the funniest person on the show so far. 

There was a nice reference to Luke 11:24-26 there. When they clean out the girl's room they call it a sweep...

24 “When an impure spirit comes out of a person, it goes through arid places seeking rest and does not find it. Then it says, ‘I will return to the house I left.’ 25 When it arrives, it finds the house swept clean and put in order. 26 Then it goes and takes seven other spirits more wicked than itself, and they go in and live there. And the final condition of that person is worse than the first.”

dumb question amnesty---I think it was episode 2 or 3 Didn't watch very closely.  Why exactly does Gideon feel beholden to the asshole stunt guy?  I get that he sorta took him under his wing out in Hollywood, and the guy continues to express why the Gemstones owe him money (not sure exactly how he was wronged other than the hit and run, and now this new round of car pranks).  Anyway, why did Gideon decide to help him though?  Gideon made the tape and set up the blackmail, but why bring those two other dipshits in on this?  Is it as simple as he just needed somebody else as an intermediary to negotiate with his Dad so he picked a washed up stunt man not named Brad Pitt?  Or was there some other line of dialogue that explains it?

Aint' exactly watching the show for the plot, but that seems important because it's the main storyline of the first half of the season it seems---the video blackmail.  That, and the dicks of a bunch of middle-aged people.  

50 minutes ago, Lobo said:

dumb question amnesty---I think it was episode 2 or 3 Didn't watch very closely.  Why exactly does Gideon feel beholden to the asshole stunt guy?  I get that he sorta took him under his wing out in Hollywood, and the guy continues to express why the Gemstones owe him money (not sure exactly how he was wronged other than the hit and run, and now this new round of car pranks).  Anyway, why did Gideon decide to help him though?  Gideon made the tape and set up the blackmail, but why bring those two other dipshits in on this?  Is it as simple as he just needed somebody else as an intermediary to negotiate with his Dad so he picked a washed up stunt man not named Brad Pitt?  Or was there some other line of dialogue that explains it?

Aint' exactly watching the show for the plot, but that seems important because it's the main storyline of the first half of the season it seems---the video blackmail.  That, and the dicks of a bunch of middle-aged people.  

It hasn't shown much backstory there.  The stuntman did threaten Gideon to make it right or he'd kill him, but you don't really get the sense that he's some badass scary dude.  The stuntman feels wronged from the exchange, and thinks that money is owed to him.  I think Gideon hates his dad and wants to fuck him over, but can't do it solo.  I don't get the sense that Gideon is scared of or feels beholden to the guy.

10 minutes ago, Js1 said:

That kid totally named Danny McBride's mannerisms.  

And that damn song Misbehavin is stuck in my head.  Also had no idea the main chick from Sugarland acted. 

Shazam it all you want, and you won’t find it. Because the song was invented for the show by creator Danny McBride, writer and co-star Edi Patterson, and series composer Joey Stephens.

https://www.fastcompany.com/90404022/how-misbehaving-catchy-righteous-gemstones-earworm-came-together?partner=feedburner

That is a stroke of genius you don't often see in comedies.  They nailed that.

• Like 1

This episode was necessary for background, I guess, but I found myself wanting some Vice Principals or Kenny Fuckin' Powers humor.   The beer part had potential, but got all too wholesome.  The fact that Eli and Amie Leigh are decent parents is just not all that funny.

In fact, so far this show has been a little bit too Waltons since that amazing first episode.

Other than the song this episode was a miss for me.  Young Eli and Amie Leigh were lame.  There needs to be some evilness to them, otherwise their backstory doesn't explain how the kids got the way they are.  I get that they are spoiled, but if that's the only glimpse into the past I am to believe that Eli and Amie Leigh were good parents. 

1 hour ago, Gene Parmesan said:

Other than the song this episode was a miss for me.  Young Eli and Amie Leigh were lame.  There needs to be some evilness to them, otherwise their backstory doesn't explain how the kids got the way they are.  I get that they are spoiled, but if that's the only glimpse into the past I am to believe that Eli and Amie Leigh were good parents. 

Eli and Amie Leigh were not good parents.  They did not discipline horribly bratty kids, and spoiled them rotten.  The episode made a point of Eli's dad's disgust at how they were bringing up their kids. 

It was an important episode to establish that at the beginning Eli and AL were legitimate. 

The first few episodes of the series, Eli's kids are intimidated by him.  Then you see this lookback episode where they walked all over him at one time.  Somewhere along the line (probably his wife's death) Eli said fuck it, became ruthless and started milking his thing for every dollar he could get.

3 hours ago, Not a cat said:

You ever hear something that you can't explain exactly why it is funny, but it cracks you up?  The lyric "running through the house with a pickle in my mouth" as uttered by Goggins is that. 

I laughed so hard at that I almost had tears coming down my face. That was so randomly funny and out of nowhere, incredible.

15 hours ago, Doyle Hargreaves said:

I grew up in a small town with many of these types around. Its spot on. Throwing the televangelist angle is better. 

These type of televangelists were big in the 80's.  They've nailed the ethos perfectly.  They're fringe players now but back in the day they were fairly widespread.

On 9/17/2019 at 12:02 PM, thrillhammer said:

it's an okay show but not as funny as it could be.  similar cast to vice principals, but imho that show was funnier than this one. 

Agree. It’s entertaining enough, but Vice Principals was way better. Maybe it’ll pick up once they move forward with the extortion plot. 

• Like 1