The Righteous Gemstones (HBO)

Pancho

20 hours ago, SubliminalHorn said:

Agree. It’s entertaining enough, but Vice Principals was way better. Maybe it’ll pick up once they move forward with the extortion plot. 

the dude that's best friends of the youngest gemstone bothers me.  gives me the creeps.  I don't like the character, don't like the actor, and don't see that it adds any value to the show.

10 minutes ago, thrillhammer said:

the dude that's best friends of the youngest gemstone bothers me.  gives me the creeps.  I don't like the character, don't like the actor, and don't see that it adds any value to the show.

Yeah he’s a strange character, and not just because he’s a strange person. Other than the fact that maybe those two are fucking, but again, I don’t know how that would add to the plot

13 minutes ago, SubliminalHorn said:

Yeah he’s a strange character, and not just because he’s a strange person. Other than the fact that maybe those two are fucking, but again, I don’t know how that would add to the plot

Well, what's a show about (tel)evangelism without a bit of closeted homosexuality?  It might have originally been a bit about conversion therapy but they changed it to satanism to avoid touching that rail.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Tom said:

When I saw the adult content warning at the beginning for nudity, I thought "Is someone going to show their tits tonight?"  Then I remembered what show I was watching. 

I keep praying Cassidy will unleash the goods. It's HBO, so there's a chance.

I'm really starting to think this entire series was produced, not as an attempt to comedically usurp the leadership of mega churches, but rather to have that kickass cybergoth dance scene properly produced and given it the broadcast platform it so righteously deserved.  

I grew up with that shit in junior high/high school.  And I never judged it any way but for this perpetual notion, "Where the fuck do y'all get the time, money, and energy to fucking dress like that?"  We could barely afford new jeans and gym shoes each school year and these asshats, living in shittier houses than I did, would show up in brand new neon goth garb every other fucking day.  And it wasn't like the shit was readily available at Burlington Coat Factory clearance sales.  

Anyway, the sister is gonna be the hit of this show.  I promise you.  What's his name from "Work-a-Holics", admittedly...he hasn't had munch to work with this season...but he's been a huge underperformer.  I'm sure his agent wanted to show his range, but that shouldn't include swinging and missing horribly in every ensemble scene.  

On 9/29/2019 at 4:33 PM, Gil Bang said:

And, in the "take of your glasses" scene in the kitchen, Cady Longmire's tits had the most sublime bounce as she took a couple of steps to examine the kid's eye. 

Why was she nowhere this hot before? Those puppies are begging to be set free.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BHMCruiser said:

"Are you the main guy, or are you the guy who gets it?" is one of the funniest things I have ever heard on television in my entire life. That is fucking brilliant. 

Yeah I thought there were a couple more in this episode that were hilarious.  The "I don't like shows where people solve stuff." was delivered brilliantly.

The misbehaving song was so well done and catchy that I thought for sure they were covering some corny ass country variety show shit from the 70s or something like that.  But no they made it up, crazy. 

I love this show and I think it is better than Vice Principals.  It is not better than peak Eastbound and Down Season 3 but its some of McBride's best work.  And yeah the sister has really stolen scenes here.  I like her character much more than the one she played in VPs.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Hozz said:

Yeah I thought there were a couple more in this episode that were hilarious.  The "I don't like shows where people solve stuff." was delivered brilliantly.

The misbehaving song was so well done and catchy that I thought for sure they were covering some corny ass country variety show shit from the 70s or something like that.  But no they made it up, crazy. 

I love this show and I think it is better than Vice Principals.  It is not better than peak Eastbound and Down Season 3 but its some of McBride's best work.  And yeah the sister has really stolen scenes here.  I like her character much more than the one she played in VPs.

Right now, I've got it in this order:

1. Eastbound and Down

2. Righteous Gemstones

3. Vice Principals 

• Like 1

On 9/9/2019 at 2:05 PM, Lobo said:

While other folks on the show may have better comedic acting chops...mainly because of the lines she gets---the sister has been the funniest person on the show so far. 

“I have regular woman panties where the string goes up my crack. I have tits. I do sex. I'm carvin' my own path!”

On 10/2/2019 at 2:04 PM, Hozz said:

It is not better than peak Eastbound and Down Season 3 

you think eb&d season 3 was better than season 1?

On 10/2/2019 at 2:04 PM, Hozz said:

Peak Eastbound and Down was definitely Season 1. However, the Mexico season was hilarious and strong throughout.