The Righteous Gemstones (HBO)

Pancho

On 10/7/2019 at 5:11 PM, BHMCruiser said:

Also, I need to rewatch it, but I think Danny McBride says he put the prophylactic on Chad

10 hours ago, lateshow said:

I thought that it said that he gave Chad the prophylactic. 

6 hours ago, bamachine said:

I don't sure exactly and already deleted the episode but I seem to recall the 
"prophylactic" being metaphorical.

Jesse Gemstone: "That's me giving Chad a prophylactic to, uh, lessen the effectiveness of that ejaculate. ... And that's Chad having sex with a prostitute."

^

Yeah, that came a little too natural and quick for you.  (Not judging)  

That was the world's best PSA for why road head is dangerous, but also hella fun 

Yeah, I've never thought he was that funny but he was underutilized in this show.  As was John Goodman.  I mean, I know Goodman has dramatic chops, but they barely gave him a chance to be funny.  McBride was another version of his usual character, which I enjoy but it's not enough to produce another show around. Judy, BJ, and Baby Billy were the funnies on the show.  I get that it wanted to also be a poignant critique of the hypocrisies of mega Churches, and it delivered on that to some extent while balancing that with dark humor and some family dynamics explored in a fresh way.  But in the end, with this cast---I wanted to love this show but instead it just became something we watched because it was on after "Succession."  

10 hours ago, SubliminalHorn said:

Judy saved the last couple of episodes. Without her it would have sucked more than it did. Adam Devine’s story was worthless in the entire plot. Pretty bad show overall. 

Kelvin's story/character arc with Keefe feels like something McBride and the writers thought was hilarious, but fell flat every time. There was a big opportunity here for Jesse to become a Mac like character. A Bible thumper in a denial that's he's gay. As a previous poster pointed out, they probably didn't want to touch the third rail and pivoted to Satanism. I mean who cares if they make fun of Satanists?

On 10/15/2019 at 7:05 PM, billfromlaketravis said:

Kelvin's story/character arc with Keefe feels like something McBride and the writers thought was hilarious, but fell flat every time. There was a big opportunity here for Jesse to become a Mac like character. A Bible thumper in a denial that's he's gay. As a previous poster pointed out, they probably didn't want to touch the third rail and pivoted to Satanism. I mean who cares if they make fun of Satanists?

They went at the homosexual angle.  Just did it indirectly and with subtlety.

2 hours ago, SizzleChest said:

They went at the homosexual angle.  Just did it indirectly and with subtlety.

Not to mention the series isn't over. Now that Keefe is back in the fold, they could revisit that again in coming seasons.

I'm just glad they didn't kill off Baby Billy.

58 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Not to mention the series isn't over. Now that Keefe is back in the fold, they could revisit that again in coming seasons.

I'm just glad they didn't kill off Baby Billy.

Baby Billy and his new congregation could easily be the season 2 antagonist. He’s a changed man with a following. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...