The Righteous Gemstones (HBO)

Pancho

While I'm enjoying the show, I have some issues. 

Kelvin's arc is just bizarre. So he's a closeted/celibate homosexual aspiring bodybuilder/youth minister? Mac from Always Sunny did it much better. 

BJ playing off of Judy is terrific. The scene in the security office in Season 1 was hilarious. But the BJ roller blading montage was going for cheap laughs. Not really my type of humor. 

I like that they're fleshing out Eli as a man in this season. He's a very flawed human being and not a Christian stalwart like Billy Graham. Goodman is the best actor on the show by a wide margin. It was smart to give him more to do. 

Jesse continues to kind of just be there. McBride really doesn't know what to do with his own character on his own show. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

2 minutes ago, BigDHornfan said:

Goodman is so much better on this than the fucking Conners show my wife watches.

He’s had an interesting career. The Roseanne thing probably made him rich, but he’s done a ton of working actor gigs to pay the bills. 

He’s been awesome in every Coen Bros movie he’s appeared in, but the last one was Inside Llewyn Davis in 2013. 

He arguably could have won a Best Supporting Actor for Flight, O Brother, Where Art Thou, or The Big Lebowski. He should have at least been nominated. You can say the same for Best Actor for Barton Fink. He should have been nominated for an Emmy for Treme. 

He has had a bit of cold snap. I’d say Monuments Men (2014) was his last really good film. 

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, Mac8111 said:

The Kelvin arc is cringe worthy but I am sure they are setting it up for him to come out in the last season of the show.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's just so over the top ridiculous and dedicate large segments of the show to it. It's like Kelvin's arc has been a season long Mac Day, only it's not funny. 

39 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

He’s had an interesting career. The Roseanne thing probably made him rich, but he’s done a ton of working actor gigs to pay the bills. 

He’s been awesome in every Coen Bros movie he’s appeared in, but the last one was Inside Llewyn Davis in 2013. 

He arguably could have won a Best Supporting Actor for Flight, O Brother, Where Art Thou, or The Big Lebowski. He should have at least been nominated. You can say the same for Best Actor for Barton Fink. He should have been nominated for an Emmy for Treme. 

He has had a bit of cold snap. I’d say Monuments Men (2014) was his last really good film. 

Best role?

• Haha 3

37 minutes ago, Mac8111 said:

The Kelvin arc is cringe worthy but I am sure they are setting it up for him to come out in the last season of the show.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Narrative-wise, he's doubling down on the behavior that got him and the church sued in the first place. Definitely cringe worthy and absurd, but also still lampooning evangelical nonsense. I remember the megachurch I grew up in doing a karate tough man brick breaking god good thing just about every year in the 00's lol

Kelvin is almost certainly going to come out or be forced out of the closet

1 minute ago, Don Johnson said:

Best role?

Haha. 

It's honestly hard for me to pick. He's just so unnerving in Barton Fink. Hilarious in Big Lebowski and Flight. A combination of both in O Brother. 

I'd say 1a) Big Lebowski 1b) O Brother. 

Honorable mention: Creighton Bernette in Treme. Goodman is somehow able to encapsulate the Surly Cloak Room Board in a single character. 

31 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

It's just so over the top ridiculous and dedicate large segments of the show to it. It's like Kelvin's arc has been a season long Mac Day, only it's not funny. 

I don't really see much of an arc.  It was clear he was gay in season 1.  I guess you could call it a rip off of Mac Day, but he's really just playing his workoholics character which was obsessed with male physique despite not having a good physique with homosexual tendencies.  

39 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Haha. 

It's honestly hard for me to pick. He's just so unnerving in Barton Fink. Hilarious in Big Lebowski and Flight. A combination of both in O Brother. 

Honorable mention: Creighton Bernette in Treme. Goodman is somehow able to encapsulate the Surly Cloak Room Board in a single character. 

King Ralph says kiss my ass!

• Haha 1

Narrative-wise, he's doubling down on the behavior that got him and the church sued in the first place. Definitely cringe worthy and absurd, but also still lampooning evangelical nonsense. I remember the megachurch I grew up in doing a karate tough man brick breaking god good thing just about every year in the 00's lol
Kelvin is almost certainly going to come out or be forced out of the closet

It’s much funnier with him in the closet.
  • Hook 'Em 3

On 1/19/2022 at 6:24 AM, billfromlaketravis said:

Haha. 

Don't forget Raising Arizona and Sea of Love

• Hook 'Em 1

On 1/19/2022 at 8:24 AM, billfromlaketravis said:

Haha. 

Can't forget Gale Snoats in Raising Arizona.

9 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Calling it now: Hit squad was sent by the Lissons to knock off Eli so Jesse (and Eli's money) would be free to hook up with the Lissons.  No way Junior would have pulled off something like that.

Spoiler

I bet the Lissons don't have the funds for their resort and need the Gemstones as investors.

• Hook 'Em 3

Based on the interviews and events in the show, it appears that Kelvin's Muscle Men storyline has thankfully come to end. 

Adam DeVine has always been an actor you want to see in bits and pieces. I cringed when I saw that McBride had cast him as one of the leads. 

I was honestly kind of frustrated by this episode. Baby Billy in the pet store didn't quite work, and his song could have been much funnier. And then at the end of the show, he just leaves … again. 

1 minute ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Based on the interviews and events in the show, it appears that Kelvin's Muscle Men storyline has thankfully come to end. 

Adam DeVine has always been an actor you want to see in bits and pieces. I cringed when I saw that McBride had cast him as one of the leads. 

I was honestly kind of frustrated by this episode. Baby Billy in the pet store didn't quite work, and his song could have been much funnier. And then at the end of the show, he just leaves … again. 

I have a hunch he’s also going to find his son. 

41 minutes ago, Pokoloco said:

BJ's romper with the cummerbund.

I just found out today that word is NOT "cumberbund"  I don't know what to believe anymore.

that's why when you dress up for a wedding, you want to go "un-cumberred."  You know, to pick up bridesmaids 'n shit.

5 hours ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:
  Hide contents

I bet the Lissons don't have the funds for their resort and need the Gemstones as investors.

4 hours ago, kevwun said:

The resort is definitely a ponzi scheme involving gold.

Yeah, I think Eli knew that it was a Ponzi scheme immediately, which is why he was against it.

Junior just doesn't have the resources for those hitmen or whatever.  

Lissons are the clear benefactors if Eli is dead.  They had Jesse hooked completely.

Edited by atomheartbevo