The Righteous Gemstones (HBO)

Pancho

On 2/17/2022 at 12:19 PM, billfromlaketravis said:

When did they film Season 2 of RG and Season 2 of The Unicorn?

the last episode of the unicorn aired in march of '21.  i don't know what their covid limitations were like, but if they're following the typical shooting schedule and delay of a single camera sitcom, he did very little work for cbs in 2021.

the biggest issue with goggins getting more screen time (because i agree we need it) is straying from the blackmail -> stolen money from s1 so quickly.  they've made s2 all about the lissons, wrestling, broken thumbs, god squads, and fucking eric roberts.  long way to go for a red herring.

i doubt goggins avail had anything to do with it, especially if we're to believe that mcbride and co were busy cranking out scripts.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, ATLLonghorn said:

Is speculation a spoiler? I dunno. Not spoilering it. This was from episode two this season.

I didn't want to spoil the revelation that it wasn't Jr who sent them so soon after the episode aired in case somebody accidentally clicked on the thread before watching it.

2 minutes ago, TheStoicPaisano said:

Has André even been around since Ep 3? I know they can do HBO shit like off Schwartzman in one episode, but I can’t see André as the mastermind. Maybe McBride’s wife & Gideon?

I never thought it was Jr, but I don't really know what the point of it being the Lipsons.  It's not like if they kill off Jessie and Eli that they are going to get the money.  Jessie or the wife masterminding would make more sense.

28 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

I never thought it was Jr, but I don't really know what the point of it being the Lipsons.  It's not like if they kill off Jessie and Eli that they are going to get the money.  Jessie or the wife masterminding would make more sense.

It's the Lissons if only based on fact that they brought them up again this episode re: Eli letting Jesse have the money and the "spolier" (I hesitate to call it that) up above.  I guess it could be Gideon, but the wife wouldn't make much sense unless she's in on it with the Lissons because the first hit was meant for Eli and Jesse and wife stole the bus.  Continuity is not hugely important, though, so we shall see. 

31 minutes ago, A-Tex Devil said:

It's the Lissons if only based on fact that they brought them up again this episode re: Eli letting Jesse have the money and the "spolier" (I hesitate to call it that) up above.  I guess it could be Gideon, but the wife wouldn't make much sense unless she's in on it with the Lissons because the first hit was meant for Eli and Jesse and wife stole the bus.  Continuity is not hugely important, though, so we shall see. 

Also why wouldn't she call off the operation at the hospital if she was part of it?  If Jesse dies, she doesn't really inherit the Gemstone money. 

The Lissons make the most sense here. 

1 hour ago, Elvis said:

Jesse was never a target.  That was Eli's bus and Jesse took it.  Second hit was straight at Eli.  Third hit straight at Eli.  Hitter wasn't Jr, so Jesse's threats didn't mean anything to him.  Jesse just kept getting in the middle.

Junior didn't seem to have the resources for something of this style as well.

44 minutes ago, futureman said:
  Hide contents

so who were the shooters at the end? did Eli pay the kids to turn on their master?

He said he needed a few days or something. So basically my hypothesis from before. They didn't have the money and were relying on the cash infusion from the Gemstones to keep their scam going. Of course that deal went to shit when he got sling stoned on the beach, so they never got paid.

9 hours ago, futureman said:
  Reveal hidden contents

so who were the shooters at the end? did Eli pay the kids to turn on their master?

In the last episode Martin went to visit them in prison and offered to pay them more than they were getting paid so when Lisson came to them they said the price was doubled. He never got the money and then after the incident on the beach he and his wife fled to Alaska. Martin went to Texas and offered to pay them more money. Martin went to Alaska to stake them out, spotted them at the store and told the ninjas they were on the move back to their hideout. 

• Hook 'Em 2

So haven't followed this thread and still have a couple of episodes to go, but I'm happy that I'm not alone in scratching my head on this season.

I love Eastbound and Vice Principals. I think what makes those work is that there are one or two characters that are outrageous while everyone else plays it straight. This show has everyone be over the top, and it's not landing well. 

Hilarious:
Uncle Baby Billy & his girl
BJ
Keefe

Everyone else is just meh. Judy Gemstone was hilarious at first and that entire bathroom scene with BJ's sister just became unfunny. Kelvin's stuff isn't funny outside of Keefe. Jesse is just playing his usual character but it seems minor compared with how insane everyone else acts.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 2/27/2022 at 10:58 PM, HornOnTheBayou said:

I gotta say, trying to pull a baby out of a port-a-pottie by the umbilical cord is one of the most ridiculous things I've ever seen on television.

I was just eating my lunch watching the second half of the finale....that scene made me sick.  And I have witnessed a baby delivery...in a hospital.  I skipped through when he grabbed the umbilical lol. 

So not much a setup for next season...will there be one?  Just the new resort they would open/run which could be funny as hell.

15 minutes ago, utxmike05 said:

So not much a setup for next season...will there be one?  Just the new resort they would open/run which could be funny as hell.

Yes, HBO announced it in January.

‘The Righteous Gemstones’ Renewed For Season 3 At HBO – Deadline

“After a season of literal fire and brimstone, blood, sand and rollerblading, who wouldn’t come back for more?” said Amy Gravitt, EVP of HBO Programming. “The Gemstone family makes us laugh like nobody else.”

2 hours ago, utxmike05 said:

I was just eating my lunch watching the second half of the finale....that scene made me sick.  And I have witnessed a baby delivery...in a hospital.  I skipped through when he grabbed the umbilical lol. 

it was a pretty tame umbilical cord scene compared to freddy got fingered standards. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

4 hours ago, utxmike05 said:

these shows go one of 2 ways: either they start the next season right after a cliffhanger, or they skip ahead "1 year later" or something and drop us into new storyline/drama.  this will obviously be the latter.

• Hook 'Em 1

I agree that Kelvin's storyline was crap this season with the muscle guys, but I still like his character.  He was good in season 1, and I hope they give him something better to do next season.  He kind of nails the trying to be hip/dorky evangelical young pastor archetype. 

Edited by Tom
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 2/27/2022 at 9:46 PM, Js1 said:

All of that basically tracked with what I thought minus 

Hide contents

It all starting from an accidental Grenade explosion 

Hide contents

Toilet baby was a nice circle back

Ankle. Butthole. Coochie

Bang your played out mother pussy

Can someone please remind me how toilet baby was a circling back? 

12 minutes ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

Can someone please remind me how toilet baby was a circling back? 

Tiffany is also a toilet baby. But Baby Billy says it with such contempt a few episodes back. Before he left 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Nobody has mentioned Culkin's cameo....so random lol.  I stared at him for awhile....Joe Burrow..?

Walter Goggins didn't even know it was going to be him until they filmed.

When I found out, “I was like, "Are you f--ing kidding me right now?" I remember seeing him kind of beforehand and just kind of gave a little nod. I don’t know if he wanted to talk more or not. I didn’t really give him a chance. We rehearsed it really kind of once, just kind of without even really reading through it. Just kind of throwing things out. I remember just staring at him for a very long time and [him] not saying a word. And it was very tense, actually.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1