2011 Texas vs KU at Phog Allen

Catdaddyhorn

Has anyone ever found this game on YouTube or have access to it on their DVR? I've never seen this game replayed anywhere. Probably Rick Barnes best win at (2003 senior night at OU probably has a good argument as well) UT and it's seemingly lost into the abyss.  It'll probably never get replayed on LHN due to the original broadcast airing on CBS. 

• Like 1

I had a job hauling trash for a gaming clubhouse at that time (middle of winter IIRC), and i remember that my roommate (also a huge UT hoops supporter and my partner on the trash haul) and I had work that night, but that the KU game would take place beforehand. I remember neither of us thinking we really had any chance at winning, and then JB just went off and showed what he was capable of when he was tuned in and turned on.  it was like at some point we punched them in the mouth and they were stunned and never recovered. that's my memory of it anyway, that once we started to pull away we never let up. hauling trash in the cold, wet, dark wasn't so bad on that night. that's my memory of that game. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Revolution512 said:

J’Covan was special. Instant offense, no fear. Loved his style, tremendous vision

he was special alright, but i don't mean that in no nice way. probably the biggest waste of talent that i can think of to come through Texas in my lifetime. he's got to be. he had everyone around him bending over backwards to help him, but despite the efforts of an entire village trying to raise this one kid, sometimes a thug from PA is a thug from PA, and he just ain't gonna change. and i'll tell you right now that I won't even entertain a discussion with anyone who tries to run in here and claim that that's not what he was, because  that's exactly what he was, JB did everything he could to prove it.

Basketball-wise J'Covan Brown is *easily* the most selfish player we've had in my lifetime, and he has one of, if not *the* worst basketball IQs of any player we've had since i was born back in 1984. for example, his freshman year he shot .288% from three, and .883% from the FT line, and yet somehow this dude managed to attempt 132 threes (4.0 per game) and only 94 FT (2.8 per game). that is a frightening combo of selfish, lazy, and stupid. for comparison, Isaiah Taylor, a PG with an inferior skill set but a much higher IQ and drive, averaged 5.8 FTA as a freshman, and only 0.5 3PA. the negative impact of this kind of selfish, low IQ play from JB has been lost on the vast majority of our fans, because the vast majority of our fans only casually follow the team and only remember the KU and Arizona games, and forget the unprecedented headache that JB was for us. he could have been an All American here if he didn't have literally the worst attitude i've ever seen. by his third season here he had toned it down, i'll give him that, but he'd already done enough to wear out any forgiveness from me.

Aside from all the on the court stuff, there was his open and overt gang affiliation, his sabotaging the team in a crucial road game at Nebraska, his ensuing twitter rant bashing Rick Barnes for drawing up the play for Jordan Hamilton instead of him, the never ending ESPN sideline reports about how many people had to constantly be watching/parenting him, including his younger teammates, plus the reports of him treating student trainers abhorrently, things like spitting his gum on the ground and telling them to go pick it up, PLUS all the shit i heard second hand from people i knew in the program (for example jordan hamilton requested a new roommate at UT he got so sick of living with JB), AND FINALLY with everything Rick Barnes did to help him out, get him eligible, get him to UT, and then babysit him 24/7 when essentially every other coach had given up on him, and i just can't possibly have find memories of JB or his time here overall.

That said I do remember his bright spots fondly, I no longer have the contempt for him that I used to have, I certainly wish him well, and I more than most can identify with many of the character flaws that i've described in JB. But I can't pretend like he wasn't far an away the most selfish, immature, and frustrating player for me to watch in all my days supporting this program. It's a beating just to think about. 

• Like 1

for the record i also remember being at JB's first game with my dad and both of us looking at each other like 😳. for real. he and i had been to, i dunno, 20-something season openers by that point, and I can say that probably only TJ stood out in his debut game more than JB did- not just stats wise, but watching him- JB just popped. he commanded your attention. it looked like he was going to be an unbelievable combo for the next 2-3 years,  it unfortunately it didn't materialize that way. 

one final thing- i know i probably did a poor job of conveying this in my last post, but i really do not have any animosity over JB or his time here anymore. but i will always remain supremely frustrated at how his time here turned out, and it's because of his immense talent and the very high hopes i had for him. the animosity that i held towards him was childish and was a product self hatred, and me lashing out at someone who i saw a lot of myself in. i've processed that part and am over it, but let me just be real- as a huge supporter of the program and a staunch advocate for Rick Barnes, there's very little else that, had it gone differently could have changed the fate of the program and its HC like J'Covan Brown resizing his potential and getting his head straight. It's just very frustrating to think about. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Goo Punch said:

I had a job hauling trash for a gaming clubhouse at that time (middle of winter IIRC), and i remember that my roommate (also a huge UT hoops supporter and my partner on the trash haul) and I had work that night, but that the KU game would take place beforehand. I remember neither of us thinking we really had any chance at winning, and then JB just went off and showed what he was capable of when he was tuned in and turned on.  it was like at some point we punched them in the mouth and they were stunned and never recovered. that's my memory of it anyway, that once we started to pull away we never let up. hauling trash in the cold, wet, dark wasn't so bad on that night. that's my memory of that game. 

We were down double digits at one point then commence to go on a 30something to single digits run during the period of time you're referencing. 

• Like 1

i'm gonna call my dad in the morning and ask him to reach out to some people. i can't guarantee any results but he definitely knows the right people to call to see if we can get this game uploaded online or broadcast by the LHN, CBS originally airing the game and all. this thread has made me realize that i've only seen that game once, and i just can't abide by that. 

• Like 1