2018+ Navigator/Expedition

These are nice rides. I've had a Tahoe for 4+ years and I'm starting to consider changing out. I love the Navigator, but obviously more pricey. The trade in value on my Tahoe is pretty solid right now and I have good equity in it. Essentially I have driven the thing for 52 months at this point and it's cost me about $10k in depreciation and maintenance which is pretty damn solid. I could roll the equity into a slightly used '18 Nav, keep my payment the same and hopefully do the same in 3-4 years. 

Anyone drive one or hear anything? Likes/dislikes?

(buy a 2008 Mercedes for $158k cash -/BERNARD)

1 hour ago, Tailgate said:

I have 215k miles on my 2003 Tahoe. Drives like a champ.

Why not keep the Tahoe and save some dough?

Agree with the above.   If the trade in for the Tahoe is high that means other people also believe the Tahoe is a solid vehicle. Sounds like a good reason to keep it, especially in that you must be close to paying it off. 

Keep it, pay it off but keep making “payments” into a savings account.  Walk into the dealer in 5 years and pay cash for the next one.

we have an ‘18 expedition limited. we have minor issues that we need to get taken care of. issue 1 is the turn signal doesn’t return to neutral after completing a left turn. seems the return spring needs replacing. issue 2 is the wireless charging pad no longer works at all. dealer is telling us they’ll need it for a week to fix both issues. 

aside from these little annoyances, we’re enjoying it. fits our 4 kids much more comfortably than the explorer we had before. the ecoboost has pretty solid power. and perhaps the best thing in my eyes is that there’s a usb port at all seats. means no more fighting over charging cables on long drives. fucking godsend. 

Wife has a new Expedition. We have put about 8k miles on it in two months. She likes it a lot and it’s similar enough to my F150 that I’m good with it. It rides and drives great and the kids/dog can all spread out.

We looked at the Navigator and I couldn’t justify the price premium. The one we looked at had captains chairs with a center console in the 2nd row which was a complete nonstarter. It made the back access difficult.

On 8/15/2019 at 4:50 AM, Tailgate said:

I have 215k miles on my 2003 Tahoe. Drives like a champ.

Why not keep the Tahoe and save some dough?

My 07 Tahoe started to fall apart at 100k. 

Motor mounts cracked. Cruise control malfunction. A/C out. Luckily I had the extended warranty and sold it as soon as it was out of the shop 2 months later. 

Our 08 Yukon is at 210k.  Only annoyance is the brakes, but I have a suspicion it may be because it goes from 0-60-0 as fast as possible at all time (wife’s truck). Going to try to squeeze another few years out of it (young kids, they destroy everything) so the kids will be older for the next one.  99% next one will be another Denali or maybe the Cadillac.  Either way, have really enjoyed the 6.2.  New navigators seem very luxurious.  I’m not a fan of the styling but that’s person to person anyhow. 

I still like my Tahoe but I have a feeling I'm flirting with disaster. My A/C compressor was replaced after warranty (bought it CPO) a couple of summers ago but the blower is acting funny. So far I've only replaced the brakes and a new set of tires and I don't want to sink money into repairs. Typically I like to drive a new(ish) car every 2-3 years. Going on 4.5 is awhile for me. I feel like I can get out at a good time right now and get into something newer, with less risk, and it's a win-win. No matter what you drive, to have a vehicle that depreciates only ~ $10k over the course of 4-4.5 years is pretty remarkable. A 48 mo lease on my model/trim would have cost me twice that. Still not sold, I might get lazy. I do like the Navigator styling more than the Expedition and I've found a few 4x4s in my price range. We'll see. Any other input on these specific vehicles is appreciated. 

I still like my Tahoe but I have a feeling I'm flirting with disaster. My A/C compressor was replaced after warranty (bought it CPO) a couple of summers ago but the blower is acting funny. So far I've only replaced the brakes and a new set of tires and I don't want to sink money into repairs. Typically I like to drive a new(ish) car every 2-3 years. Going on 4.5 is awhile for me. I feel like I can get out at a good time right now and get into something newer, with less risk, and it's a win-win. No matter what you drive, to have a vehicle that depreciates only ~ $10k over the course of 4-4.5 years is pretty remarkable. A 48 mo lease on my model/trim would have cost me twice that. Still not sold, I might get lazy. I do like the Navigator styling more than the Expedition and I've found a few 4x4s in my price range. We'll see. Any other input on these specific vehicles is appreciated. 
That's too bad that you've had those issues after only 4.5 years (real talk, that blows). I've had zero issues with my Taco in the same time frame. Why can't shit just last longer?

It’s pretty impressive how long Chevy trucks are holding their value right now. According to KBB, my Silverado has only depreciated ~ 20% after 7 years and 160k miles. Nothing major other than routine maintenance (headlight and door handle issues, but those were easy fixes). And it looks like I could sell my wife’s Tahoe for the same price we bought it two years ago.

I wouldn’t consider anything else right now

On 8/17/2019 at 12:42 PM, Brew said:

We looked at the Navigator and I couldn’t justify the price premium. The one we looked at had captains chairs with a center console in the 2nd row which was a complete nonstarter. It made the back access difficult.

Man, we are the exact opposite.  I would not buy a big SUV without captain's chairs (center console optional).  Gets rid of all the 'stop touching me' bullshit with kids.  We only have 2 kids, though.  I would probably feel differently if we had more.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

Man, we are the exact opposite.  I would not buy a big SUV without captain's chairs (center console optional).  Gets rid of all the 'stop touching me' bullshit with kids.  We only have 2 kids, though.  I would probably feel differently if we had more.

I wasn’t clear on the issue, ours has captains chairs. The Navigator had a center console in between the 2nd row captain chairs that was a mirror image of the one in the front. To get through to the back, you had to fold up one of the sides like a bench. It was a nice from the standpoint of the kids having a full console with storage in between them, but that was the nonstarter. We wanted the middle pass through between the captains chairs like a normal SUV so the dog and friends could go between without folding seats up.