New Chappelle Netflix Standup Special

SurlyBDR

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, futureman said:

most of the reviews of this are harshly critical.  haven’t seen it yet but he really must have triggered some motherfuckers.  good for him for not caring about insane progressive bullshit. 

The headline for every one of those articles should be “People who take themselves too seriously don’t get jokes.”

I noticed that every article I saw, from the Ringer to the Atlantic, was written by a woman under 30.  And in most cases the authors’ normal lane is writing about social issues and movements, not about media or TV.  

Felt a bit like the various publications were trying to generate buzz to get some clicks.  Of course that’s not possible, but still...  

But Netflix and Chapelle are probably pretty happy with all that free hype.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Liquor and Poker said:

The headline for every one of those articles should be “People who take themselves too seriously don’t get jokes.”

I noticed that every article I saw, from the Ringer to the Atlantic, was written by a woman under 30.  And in most cases the authors’ normal lane is writing about social issues and movements, not about media or TV.  

Headline: "Review of a comedian that I've never watched before, because he's not in my wheelhouse."

Me thinks some of them would be pissed at a certain KKK skit of his.

7 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Headline: "Review of a comedian that I've never watched before, because he's not in my wheelhouse."

Me thinks some of them would be pissed at a certain KKK skit of his.

Honestly, these authors would probably have written an article That read basically the same if Netflix had just aired his bit about Prince dunking on Charlie Murphy and making him pancakes.

Trying not to go full Cloak Room here, but these read like hit pieces catering to an audience that already wasn’t watching anything the guy put out.  

A good example was the bit he did about R.Kelly. The articles all singled that bit out but left out the basic point he was making, that he shouldn’t have been in the documentary simply because he didn’t know R.Kelly.  Instead they made it look like he was belittling the documentary or the issue when he wasn’t.  

17 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

I loved it.  And I’m actually surprised that the “my money, my choice” bit and the Michael Jackson bit aren’t the ones triggering people more than the LGBTQ jokes.

Cause per his own bit he was saying the alphabet people are the ones you don't want to piss off because they come after you with a vengeance.

26 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

I stopped watching after the Michael Jackson bit because it wasn't funny and I got bored.

His humor has not always been my cup of tea and I’m something of a humorist aficionado .    But one thing Dave Chapelle has never been to anyone is boring.    Are you sure he didn’t trigger you in someway ?

4 minutes ago, Lobo said:

His humor has not always been my cup of tea and I’m something of a humorist aficionado .    But one thing Dave Chapelle has never been to anyone is boring.    Are you sure he didn’t trigger you in someway ?

I couldn't care less who comedians make fun of but I want them to be funny. I think Dave Chappelle is hilarious, but the first ten minutes or so of this special were meh so I stopped watching. It sounds like it gets better, so I'll check it out again later. 

Dave went for it and I think it paid off for him and comedians in general.  

What really hit for me given the current hysteria was his bit on gun control, especially the line that went something like this, "black people need to all become legal concealed carriers of firearms......that'll get guns banned real quick!" 

Also, him dunking on government programs to train kids what to do during mass shootings had me in stitches.  "Where do we go when the shooting starts?/shooter takes notes"

5 hours ago, David Dennison said:

I couldn't care less who comedians make fun of but I want them to be funny. I think Dave Chappelle is hilarious, but the first ten minutes or so of this special were meh so I stopped watching. It sounds like it gets better, so I'll check it out again later. 

**Trigger warning**

You may get triggered.  

• Haha 1