Dalton Broesche, Just Trying to Find Some Pease in the Park While Hiding HIs Piece

atomheartbevo

Linked-in says UT grad in linguistics.

https://www.kxan.com/news/local/austin/man-arrested-after-carrying-numerous-weapons-into-downtown-austin-park/

A man was arrested Wednesday after allegedly carrying several weapons into a downtown Austin park.

Austin police responded to the call around 1:32 p.m. at Pease Park off North Lamar Boulevard. Police said the suspect, 23-year-old Dalton Broesche, was carrying multiple weapons.

According to official court documents, police located him walking through the park carrying a loaded nine millimeter handgun, an extra magazine for the pistol, an expandable metal baton, two knives, a flashlight and black gloves.

Once confronted, police reported that he also took officers to a wooded spot in Pease Park where he had hidden a fully-loaded, AR-15 style semi-automatic rifle. The rifle was carrying a magazine loaded with 30 rounds of ammunition.

Broesche was taken into custody and charged with two counts of unlicensed carrying of a weapon for a pistol and a baton found in his possession. Police say Broesche also had an outstanding warrant for his arrest in Harris County.

Oh goody, he had a tripod and scope.

https://www.kvue.com/article/news/crime/23-year-old-arrested-after-bringing-loaded-semi-automatic-rifle-pistol-to-pease-park/269-88af59e9-9142-4466-aeb4-3e3fe2dd8404

Shortly after 1:30 p.m., someone called 911, advising that a man was carrying an assault rifle and a large knife in a backpack, according to an arrest affidavit. The caller told the dispatcher the man was walking toward a "party with lots of kids."

According to the arrest affidavit, officers then asked Broesche for the location of the rifle the 911 caller saw him carrying and he told officers "he threw it in the brush off the trail." Officers found the AR-556 semi-automatic rifle "laying on a footpath that goes from the main trail to the roadway," which was about 50 yards from where officers had detained Broesche.

The rifle was loaded with a 30-round magazine and fitted with a bipod, scope and tac light, police said.

Edited by atomheartbevo

So she put out her tweets yesterday, the story comes out today.  Does it normally take that long for that kind of stuff to percolate out to the media?  Because a story like this, I'm surprised it wasn't being blasted across the 6pm and 10pm news broadcasts (okay, it may have been, I don't watch much local news except for the librarian on KXAN).

15 minutes ago, Dark Horse said:

So he was charged for carrying the piston and the baton, but not charged for having the AR-15 in a park.

This is America.

http://www.austintexas.gov/edims/document.cfm?id=308744

WEAPONS AND FIREARMS

1. Patrons shall not carry or possess weapons or firearms while in park facilities or wildlife preserves except;

1. in those facilities where usage is appropriate,

2. as allowed by state and federal gun laws.

3. when otherwise authorized by the Parks and Recreation Department.

2. The use of firearms, air guns, pellet or B.B. guns, bows and arrows or projectile devices capable of inflictingpersonal injury is prohibited unless conducted under permit or in an authorized park facility. (City CodeSections 10-1-4, 10-1-5, 14-1-6).

c. No patron may display a firearm or other weapon at anypark facility or wildlife preserve in a manner calculated to alarm or threaten anyone.

(Texas Penal Code 42.01)

Seems like "C"  should be a charge here as well.

3 hours ago, Dennis Taylor said:

so when do we hear the "Yeah I kinda knew him. He was weird and creepy, pretty much a loner" stories about this one? 

I'm from his hometown and hung out with him a few times a long time ago. Very intelligent in school and was on his way to valedictorian but had severe anger problems (like flipping tables at teachers angry) and other mental issues. Even went on to some early college school but got kicked out after falling to drugs and everything went downhill since.

He didn’t act like an incel in high school, but I haven’t talked to him in years so I’m not sure if that had any part in it. I think it has more to do with poor mental health fueled by lots of hard drugs. Allegedly he was walking towards a children’s party with the guns so it seems more like he just snapped and wanted to take his anger out on the world.

We go way back. I'm so fucked up right now. Dalton helped me through the worst time of my life a few years back. Oh my god. H

Dalton was bipolar but also gun-crazy. When we talked recently he only wanted to talk about guns. He is a really sincere nerd with some anger management problems. I'm devastated and horrified. Not trying to mitigate actions, just shocked and want to talk about it.

https://kwhi.com/former-brenham-high-graduate-arrested-at-pease-park-in-austin-found-with-multiple-weapons/

A 2015 graduate of Brenham High School and former Eagle Scout was arrested Wednesday, after police say he brought several weapons to a park in Austin.

From the comments:

This is so sad. This young man has always “beat to a different drum”.
Teachers seem to “recognize” students that have issues that warrant extra guidance or support with mental issues/concerns. 

This was one student I had an inkling he was headed for destruction a long time ago. My hands were tied.

That comment was interesting, as somebody else claimed his mom teaches in the district.  Gotta suck when your kids go wrong, but this was so damned close to being a major tragedy.

Lovely.  They at least upgraded/added to the charges - adding a "deadly conduct charge" for leaving the rifle in the park.

https://cbsaustin.com/news/local/man-who-had-rifle-in-austin-park-shouldnt-have-passed-background-check-to-buy-it-but-did

The owner of a local gun store told CBS Austin the man arrested in Pease Park after hiding a rifle in the bushes was able to legally purchase the firearm from him last month, despite having an active felony warrant.

Michael Cargill, owner of Central Texas Gunworks, also says 23-year-old Dalton Broesche took a concealed handgun permit class with him, but had no valid CHL permit when he encountered Austin Police.

According to Cargill, he sold Broesche the AR-556 in July after waiting three days for the required FBI background check to be completed.

Broesche was cleared to buy the weapon, despite having a felony warrant for his arrest out of Harris County from July 2018 for allegedly threatening his father with a knife.

That should have prevented him from buying the rifle, or owning any firearm whatsoever, according to ATF regulations.

Cargill blames Harris County for not processing the felony charge correctly so that it would show up on a background check.

Currently, Broesche is facing a deadly conduct charge for abandoning the rifle in the park in addition to the unlicensed carry charges.