Obi-Wan Series on Disney+ Staring Ewan McGregor

Viper

revenge of the sith prequel GIF

https://variety.com/2019/tv/news/obi-wan-kenobi-series-ewan-mcgregor-disney-plus-1203304387/

Ewan McGregor is in talks to return as Jedi master Obi Wan Kenobi in a series for Disney Plus, Variety has confirmed.

No other details on the potential series were available. McGregor previously played the character in the three “Star Wars” prequels “The Phantom Menace,” “Attack of the Clones,” and “Revenge of the Sith.” There had been talk for years that McGregor would return in an Obi Wan standalone film, but those plans were reportedly put on hold following the unsuccessful roll out of “Star Wars” standalone film “Solo.”

Reps for McGregor and Disney Plus did not immediately respond to Variety’s request for comment.

The Obi Wan series would be the third live-action “Star Wars” show on Disney Plus. The nascent streamer has previously announced “The Mandalorian” from Jon Favreau starring Pedro Pascal as well as a series based on Cassian Andor, the character first introduce in the film “Rogue One” with Diego Luna reprising his role from the film.

The show would be McGregor’s second major TV role in recent years. He won a Golden Globe and was nominated for an Emmy for his role in the third season of the FX series “Fargo,” playing twin brothers Emmit and Ray Stussy. McGregor is primarily known for his film work. He will star in the upcoming “The Shining” follow up “Doctor Sleep,” which is due out in November. He will also play the DC villain Black Mask in the film “Birds of Prey (And the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn).” His other notable film roles include “Trainspotting,” “Moulin Rouge,” and “Black Hawk Down.”

He is repped by UTA.

Disney Plus is also building out the television side of the Marvel Cinematic Universe, with high-priced limited series in the works focused on character like Hawkeye, Loki, Scarlet Witch and Vision, and Falcon and Winter Soldier.

Edited by Viper
  • Like 1

I have a cousin who is close with a big wig at Disney... apparently, this is going to be a sitcom, complete with laugh track. Obi-Wan is going to have a gungan roommate in his hut who is always getting on his nerves, and sandpeople neighbors who keep getting into trouble.

Frankly, I’m not sure why they’re going this route but I’m just passing it along.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Red Five said:

I have a cousin who is close with a big wig at Disney... apparently, this is going to be a sitcom, complete with laugh track. Obi-Wan is going to have a gungan roommate in his hut who is always getting on his nerves, and sandpeople neighbors who keep getting into trouble.

Frankly, I’m not sure why they’re going this route but I’m just passing it along.

Doesn't matter, a shitload of fanboys (and my wife) are trying to subscribe even harder.

• 1 year later...

For the best. No need to try to shoehorn in a bunch of stuff for him in between ROTS and ANH. I much prefer him living out a very meager existence while he waits for Luke to get older. I really hope it has new characters and not a bunch of "hey remember this random character from the Clone Wars who somehow found their way to one of the most remote planets in the universe?". Obvious Jabba and other existing Tatooine character will make appearances or be a part of the story.

Edited by mdmost
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...

So when in the timeline is this supposed to be?  Ewan McGregor now (50) is closer in age to Alec Guinness when Star Wars was released (63) than to his age when Ep I was released (28).  Is it going to include deep fake 8 year old Luke?

Edited by WBT

2 hours ago, WBT said:

So when in the timeline is this supposed to be?  Ewan McGregor now (50) is closer in age to Alec Guinness when Star Wars was released (63) than to his age when Ep I was released (28).  Is it going to include deep fake 8 year old Luke?

All we know is it's in between ROTS and ANH. My guess is that it's mostly the relatively early in that gap since Hayden Christensen is playing Vader in the series. 

3 hours ago, WBT said:

1) Fuck you for making me feel old. 
2) For E3 he was 34…so yeah, he’s still quite a bit older. Fuck you again 

• Haha 3

32 minutes ago, oSuJeff97 said:

All we know is it's in between ROTS and ANH. My guess is that it's mostly the relatively early in that gap since Hayden Christensen is playing Vader in the series. 

I want to say I read somewhere that it takes place 10 years after ROTS.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 2/9/2022 at 5:21 PM, mdmost said:

For anyone wondering why not May 4th, May 25 is the 45th anniversary of the first movie debuting in the theaters. 

We can't have a Surly thread without someone bitching for no reason, so I'll start. 

That poster is weak as fuck. Also, why not just call the series Obi-Wan? Why you got to full name the bitch like he killed the president? Is Obi-Wan a common ass name in this galaxy? If someone says Obi-Wan in a crowded bar, thirty motherfuckers going to turn around?

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, mdmost said:

You can just have a kid actor play young Luke.

cool, cool

jakelloyd.jpg

But seriously, Luke really shouldn't be in it anyway.  Ben was watching him from afar and they never met.  So what's it going to be about?  Living alone in the desert as a hermit?  

• Hook 'Em 1

I'm okay with Obi Wan meeting young Luke in the series. In ANH, Luke acts like he knows about Old Ben, the hermit. What I'm more worried about is fitting in another Vader Obi Wan fight which doesn't match the "when I left you I was but the learner, now I am the master" line. I like the idea of things being a near miss with Vader and Obi Wan. That could fit with the "I sense something, a presence I haven't felt since...". We'll definitely see some Inquisitor types show up like in Rebels. I think Hayden being back we'll be some spliced in flashbacks of the two of them combined with him lurking around as Vader. That's my hope at least. 

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, mdmost said:

I'm okay with Obi Wan meeting young Luke in the series. In ANH, Luke acts like he knows about Old Ben, the hermit. What I'm more worried about is fitting in another Vader Obi Wan fight which doesn't match the "when I left you I was but the learner, now I am the master" line. I like the idea of things being a near miss with Vader and Obi Wan. That could fit with the "I sense something, a presence I haven't felt since...". We'll definitely see some Inquisitor types show up like in Rebels. I think Hayden being back we'll be some spliced in flashbacks of the two of them combined with him lurking around as Vader. That's my hope at least. 

I made a similar comment earlier, but maybe they can shoot some scenes that make it appear they were actually good friends before he turned to Vader. They did a terrible job in 2 and even 3 making it believable that they were friends

• Hook 'Em 3

6 minutes ago, UT_OB1 said:

I made a similar comment earlier, but maybe they can shoot some scenes that make it appear they were actually good friends before he turned to Vader. They did a terrible job in 2 and even 3 making it believable that they were friends

Flashback to a Padme Eiffel Tower would be awesome and right up Disney's alley

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 5
  • Drool 1

6 hours ago, WBT said:

3 hours ago, UT_OB1 said:

1) Fuck you for making me feel old. 
2) For E3 he was 34…so yeah, he’s still quite a bit older. Fuck you again 

Episode 1 was filmed and released back in the late 20th century.

Why do you feel old?  

27 minutes ago, 0xdeadbeef said:

Ah, I see.  They fucked up the original release date.

I don't think George was thinking about "May the 4th be with you" when it came out.  Star Wars was all about Memorial Day weekend.

The first groups unofficially celebrating it in large numbers were back in the late 2000s, and they called it Luke Skywalker Day.  I think the first formal celebrations were in the last 10 years or so.

Edited by atomheartbevo

Back then several the Golden Girls were younger than Ming-na Wen’s Fennic Shand. You cannot compare what seemed old then to today.

Of course I am closer to 50 than 40 so my perspective and eyesight could be a factor.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Clone Wars shows their friendship.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 5

7 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

Yeah I was gonna say: if that’s what you’re looking for then there are hours and hours of great stories with the two of them together in Clone Wars.

Oh I agree on that. Just would have been nice to have gotten it from the movie