Cedric Benson has passed away - RIP πŸ€˜β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹

TexEx15

• 11 months later...
R.I.P. Cedric. Gone, but not forgotten.Β 
Β 
Β 
Β 
...and because I'm selfish, just imagine what his stats/legacy would have been if Mack would have started him before the damn Okie-Lite game.Β 

Best high school running back I ever saw. His forward lean alone was worth 4 yards. He just kept coming at you. Nothing fancy. He destroyed San Antonio MacArthur in championship.

Defeated MacArthur 54-0

Benson rushed for 238 yards and 5 touchdowns. He scored on runs of 4 yards, 58 yards, 1 yard and 49 yards. And, he scored on a 44-yard pass play.

Punished Westlake in another championship.

Defeated Austin Westlake 33-21

Benson rushed for 249 yards on a whopping 40 carries, and scored 5 TDs. He scored on runs of 47 yards, 4 yards, 4 yards, 13 yards, 10 yards.

https://texashsfootball.com/a-legacy-remembered-cedric-benson-of-midland-lee/
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, TexasBeta said:

Best high school running back I ever saw. His forward lean alone was worth 4 yards. He just kept coming at you. Nothing fancy. He destroyed San Antonio MacArthur in championship.

Defeated MacArthur 54-0

Benson rushed for 238 yards and 5 touchdowns. He scored on runs of 4 yards, 58 yards, 1 yard and 49 yards. And, he scored on a 44-yard pass play.

Punished Westlake in another championship.

Defeated Austin Westlake 33-21

Benson rushed for 249 yards on a whopping 40 carries, and scored 5 TDs. He scored on runs of 47 yards, 4 yards, 4 yards, 13 yards, 10 yards.

https://texashsfootball.com/a-legacy-remembered-cedric-benson-of-midland-lee/

That joke of a game vs Mac should have been against Katy, and it would have been one hell of a game.Β  (Katy was DQd for having the 4th string tight end play a couple kneel downs when they beat Mac in the semis)

RIP Ced

14 minutes ago, WBT said:

Possibly the most underrated college RB ever.Β  It's a joke that he was never invited to NY.Β  RIP Ced.

Still top 10 in NCAA FBS career rushing yards, but half theΒ battle is the media marktingΒ angle. Here was his best finish

image.png.97c1ee417c1aa3b3b20fcc035cb78688.png

You can certainly make theΒ argument that Ced's numbersΒ are on par with the OK boys (alsoΒ fuck Reggie Bush) but that 12-0 loss to OU is what fucked him. Ced had 95 yards (4.0 ypc) and Peterson had 240 (7.0 YPC). factor in OUΒ and USC undefeated playing for the MNCΒ and Ced wasnt getting to NYC. That game is on my list of top 3 UT losses that pissed me off the most.Β  I don't even think we got into the red zone the entire game. Biggest Greg Davis pant's shitting?Β 

• Rage+1 1

Still top 10 in NCAA FBS career rushing yards, but half theΒ battle is the media marktingΒ angle. Here was his best finish
image.png.97c1ee417c1aa3b3b20fcc035cb78688.png
You can certainly make theΒ argument that Ced's numbersΒ are on par with the OK boys (alsoΒ fuck Reggie Bush) but that 12-0 loss to OU is what fucked him. Ced had 95 yards (4.0 ypc) and Peterson had 240 (7.0 YPC). factor in OUΒ and USC undefeated playing for the MNCΒ and Ced wasnt getting to NYC. That game is on my list of top 3 UT losses that pissed me off the most.Β  I don't even think we got into the red zone the entire game. Biggest Greg Davis pant's shitting?Β 

Didn’t help that Derrick Johnson was #11 on the Heisman list that year either.

23 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:

i thought everyone knew it was mack brown handcuffing greg davis to his most conservative form against OU all those years?

the theory that Mack actually tookΒ theΒ shit in Greg's britches is certainly plausible.Β Β 

4 hours ago, Droopy said:

R.I.P. Cedric. Gone, but not forgotten. 🀘

Β 

Β 

Β 

...and because I'm selfish, just imagine what his stats/legacy would have been if Mack would have started him before the damn Okie-Lite game.😑 

No offense.Β  But that shit is overplayed.Β  First of all, Ivan Williams was playing pretty damn well (he averaged over 5 per carry that season).Β  Second, he was averaging 12 carries per game before Oklahoma.Β  Third, he never did much against OU so it would not have made a difference in 2001 any way.Β  His career YPC against OU was 2.9.Β  They were in our backfield stuffing anyone who was carrying the ball almost like they knew our plays before we called them, especially in the 2001 game.

• Fuck You 1

• 11 months later...
On 8/17/2021 at 5:47 PM, Johnny Sack said:

They were in our backfield stuffing anyone who was carrying the ball almost like they knew our plays before we called them, especially in the 2001 game.

They did. Everyone did. Our playbook was the size of the Greater Houston Yellow Pages, but GDGD famously had a quick reference with about 15 GDMB-approved plays on it taped to the front that he defaulted to constantly. 0U was on of the few teams we couldn't simply out-talent in that span and they knew all 15 plays and when we liked to call them. It was painful.

• 1 year later...

I don't follow Texas high school football, but I went to the game at DKR when Lee played Westlake.Β  Cedric was a beast that day, and Huston Street seemed in on almost every tackle.Β  It was fairly comical, but that guy hung in and did his best as the last line of defense.

I used to see Ced fairly often at the gas station where Dry Creek hits 2222.Β  He was almost shy.Β  Interesting dude, and a helluva football player.Β  The highlights above bring back a ton of memories.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I don't follow Texas high school football, but I went to the game at DKR when Lee played Westlake.Β  Cedric was a beast that day, and Huston Street seemed in on almost every tackle.Β  It was fairly comical, but that guy hung in and did his best as the last line of defense.

I used to see Ced fairly often at the gas station where Dry Creek hits 2222.Β  He was almost shy.Β  Interesting dude, and a helluva football player.Β  The highlights above bring back a ton of memories.

Man I was also at that game.

He was a beast.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

Cedric was a beast that day

El Ced played in 3 straight TXHSFB Championship Games, and was a beast in all 3.

1998 vs San Antonio MacArthur - 5 TD, 238 yds
1999 vs Aldine Eisenhower - 5TD, 192 yds
2000 vs Austin Westlake - 5TD, 249 yds

He scored 70% of the points in those 3 games, including 30 of the 33 in the 2000 game.

All 3 of those years, he was the 5A Offensive Player of the Year.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, lilMAC25 said:

I was at 2003 Texas vs Aggy.

Β 

Ced ripped out their soul and shit down their necks.

This might be my favorite Texas game that I've ever attended. I was with my dad in great seats surrounded by old aggys. Benson went for 283 with 4 TDs. We put the game away in the 3rd quarter and aggy started to empty the stadium. When we walked out after the game it was mostly Texas fans around us and we did Texas Fight the whole way out.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Steamboat1874 said:

Man I was also at that game.

He was a beast.

I was also there sitting with Huston Street’s family. A cousin of Huston’s, who was dating a good friend of mine, told me to leave if I was going to keep cheering for Ced. Told her to fuck right off, that kid is gonna have a steer on his helmet next year. I don’t give a fuck about Westlake.Β 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Man, we have had some running backs at Texas.Β  I know USC gets the "Running Back U" publicity, and theirs have been awesome, but . . . Earl, Ricky, Cedric, D'Onta, Bijan, Jamaal, Chris G, Roosevelt . . . holy shit.

Over the last couple decades or so the USC is RB U narrative has narrowed, if not turned to Texas' favor in my biased opinion.

I know the Doak didn't start until 1990 but Texas has 5 winners and could've had 6 this year and will likely have a finalist next year.

Add in that the pro careers of UTs best RBs hold up against anyone if not exceed them all just based on Earl, Ricky, Priest and Jamaal.

Bonus that Earl didn't murder anyone, except that Rams' defender and a few other hapless victims.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2

37 minutes ago, Mittens said:

El Ced played in 3 straight TXHSFB Championship Games, and was a beast in all 3.

He scored 70% of the points in those 3 games, including 30 of the 33 in the 2000 game.

Wow. Β I mean, seriously, wow.

• Hook 'Em 1

43 minutes ago, Mittens said:

How is he just now getting into the HoF?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, Mittens said:

He’s the best high school running back of all time.Β 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

He’s the best high school running back of all time.Β 

Honestly curious if he's not the best HS player of all time, when you take all 4 years into account.Β  I'm certain some players have had better single seasons (Ced's best was 3,526 yds and 51 TD as a junior), but 3 State Titles in the biggest classification in TX, with those numbers and 8,418 yds on 974 carries for an avg of 8.6 ypc.Β  Can't find his career HS TD numbers, but that has to be 100+.

• Hook 'Em 3

9 minutes ago, Mittens said:

Honestly curious if he's not the best HS player of all time, when you take all 4 years into account.Β  I'm certain some players have had better single seasons (Ced's best was 3,526 yds and 51 TD as a junior), but 3 State Titles in the biggest classification in TX, with those numbers and 8,418 yds on 974 carries for an avg of 8.6 ypc.Β  Can't find his career HS TD numbers, but that has to be 100+.

• Hook 'Em 3

18 minutes ago, Mittens said:

Also, while Benson definitely had the best HS career of any Longhorn RB, you could argue that Ken "Sugarland Express" Hall was the best in Texas HS football withΒ 11,232 yds.Β  Of course that was the 50's so the competition wasn't nearly as good...plus he went to aggy, so fuck him

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

Man, we have had some running backs at Texas.Β  I know USC gets the "Running Back U" publicity, and theirs have been awesome, but . . . Earl, Ricky, Cedric, D'Onta, Bijan, Jamaal, Chris G, Roosevelt . . . holy shit.

Yeah we have had so many incredible running backs.Β  You even missed two of our best in Priest Holmes and Eric Metcalf.Β Β 

Here is the list of UT NFL running backs. I thought I would see where Ced stacked up.Β  The list is sorted by career fantasy points...

• 1655.4 - Priest Holmes – Β 3x All Pro, 3x Pro Bowl
  • 1644.9 - Ricky Williams – 1x All Pro, 1x Pro Bowl
  • 1426.6 - Earl Campbell – 3x All Pro, 5x Pro Bowl, Hall of Fame
  • 1367.6 - Jamaal Charles – 2x All Pro, 4x Pro Bowl
  • 1067.7 - Eric Metcalf – Β 2x All Pro, 3x Pro Bowl
  • Β  863.0 - Cedric Benson
  • Β  474.6 - Roosevelt Leaks
  • Β  360.2 - D’Onta Foreman (active)
  • Β  258.8 - Malcolm Brown
  • Β  158.4 - Chris Ogbonnaya
  • Β  150.7 - Fozzy Whittaker
  • Β  135.9 - Selvin Young
  • Β  126.3 - Bijan Robinson (active)
  • Β Β Β Β  68.1 - Ahmard Hall Β 
  • Β Β Β Β  42.1 - Roschon Johnson (active)
  • Β Β Β Β  24.1 - Keaontay Ingram Β (active)

And in the coming years we could also add Brooks, Baxter and Blue.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, HookEm said:

Yeah we have had so many incredible running backs.Β  You even missed two of our best in Priest Holmes and Eric Metcalf.Β Β 

Here is the list of UT NFL running backs. I thought I would see where Ced stacked up.Β  The list is sorted by career fantasy points...

• 1655.4 - Priest Holmes – Β 3x All Pro, 3x Pro Bowl
  • 1644.9 - Ricky Williams – 1x All Pro, 1x Pro Bowl
  • 1426.6 - Earl Campbell – 3x All Pro, 5x Pro Bowl, Hall of Fame
  • 1367.6 - Jamaal Charles – 2x All Pro, 4x Pro Bowl
  • 1067.7 - Eric Metcalf – Β 2x All Pro, 3x Pro Bowl
  • Β  863.0 - Cedric Benson
  • Β  474.6 - Roosevelt Leaks
  • Β  360.2 - D’Onta Foreman (active)
  • Β  258.8 - Malcolm Brown
  • Β  158.4 - Chris Ogbonnaya
  • Β  150.7 - Fozzy Whittaker
  • Β  135.9 - Selvin Young
  • Β  126.3 - Bijan Robinson (active)
  • Β Β Β Β  68.1 - Ahmard Hall Β 
  • Β Β Β Β  42.1 - Roschon Johnson (active)
  • Β Β Β Β  24.1 - Keaontay Ingram Β (active)

And in the coming years we could also add Brooks, Baxter and Blue.

No β€œSpec” Sanders?

28 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

Holy shit...Β  127 TDs in high school ???

Sucks to not have Ced around to talk about his good old days.Β Β 

I know Thanksgiving is over, but thank you to Surly folks for remembering Ced with so many great memories !!!  🀘

• Hook 'Em 2

First time I saw that young man run was at the 2001 Big 12 CCG.Β  Not a particularly great outing that night, but I could feel that we had a lot of good times coming.Β  I think we called him "Freak."

I also think he got hurt (knee?) early in the Rose Bowl and sat most of that game.Β  Amirite?

First time I saw that young man run was at the 2001 Big 12 CCG.Β  Not a particularly great outing that night, but I could feel that we had a lot of good times coming.Β  I think we called him "Freak."
I also think he got hurt (knee?) early in the Rose Bowl and sat most of that game.Β  Amirite?

Well, Ced destroyed Mike Williams on a fucking int return and missed the rest of the game with a neck stinger or something I think that night. I’ve got it on VHS somewhere.

I think he hurt his knee on one of the first series in that Rose Bowl. I don’t think he missed the rest of the game. I remember him being out there but ineffective.
I remember reading or watching Mack talk about Cedric after that game.

RIP #32.
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, DixonHur said:

Also, while Benson definitely had the best HS career of any Longhorn RB, you could argue that Ken "Sugarland Express" Hall was the best in Texas HS football withΒ 11,232 yds.Β  Of course that was the 50's so the competition wasn't nearly as good...plus he went to aggy, so fuck him

That’s always one of the other big ones. Johnathan Gray comes up a lot as well. Kyler obviously deserves mention. But fuck all those guys. El Ced 4 life. RIP.