Cedric Benson has passed away - RIP 🤘​​​​​​​

TexEx15

Wow, this sucks. 

I got one of the first CM licenses in Houston when they first came in. Hung that shit up a couple of years later, after the third time some asshole car driver didn't see me and turned immediately in front of me, destroyed my bike, and miraculously, neither he nor the car behind him nor any of the parked cars ended my life.

Sad for all involved.

I watched Cedric grow up.  Really sad for his mom.  Cedric brought more excitement to Midland, Texas than $150 oil.  A very shy kid, very quiet and retiring in person. Never talked shit - just went out and owned the stadium wherever we were.  He was brilliant. Thank you for the memories, Cedric - your are still the man in this town and you always will be.  

• Like 1

Another article...

BREAKING: Cedric Benson, Former NFL Back, Dead at 36

By Sam Dodge. Updated Aug 18, 2019 at 10:54am

Cedric Benson Dead

Football player Cedric Benson attends KWL's 4th Annual Sports And Entertainment Celebration Honoring NFL's Rising Stars Colin Kaepernick And Robert Quinn at Manon on January 30, 2014 in New York City.

Cedric Benson, the former No. 4 pick to the Chicago Bears and longtime NFL running back, has passed away. He was 36. The initial report came from Dov Kleiman, who confirmed the news through a Facebook post made by Benson’s brother Dominic.

“Cedric Benson’s brother posted to confirm the news about his brother,” Kleiman tweeted. “It was reportedly a motorcycle accident in Austin, Texas.”

Dominic “Eye” Benson commented in the thread that “My brother gone.”

CBS Austin also reports a motorcycle accident with two people dead. It describes the two victims as a “a man and a woman in their 30’s.”

A spokesperson with the police department states that the motorcycle was traveling westbound on RM 2222 when it struck the white minivan that was pulling out of Mount Bonnell onto the roadway. The two people who died on scene were on the motorcycle, the spokesperson said.

It is not confirmed that Benson is the male victim in this crash, but his age matches the report and Kleiman noted that the cause of death was a motorcycle accident.

Benson was an All-American and Doak Walker Award winner at Texas in 2004. The Bears drafted him in the first round of the 2005 NFL Draft. His most successful seasons came with the Bengals from 2009-11, where he eclipsed 1,000 yards each time.

He finished his career with 6,017 rushing yards and 32 touchdowns.

This is a developing story.

https://heavy.com/sports/2019/08/cedric-benson-dead/

Edited by LTtxfan

Damn. RIP Cedric. Watched you destroy my HS on the field in El Paso and knew you were going to be a beast at UT. You were there at the 40 acres at the same time as me and I used to see you around campus all the time, especially at Dobie, usually with a beautiful girl on your arm.

6 mos younger than me. Too young. Thanks for the memories.

• Like 1

Saw Midland Lee play the Woodlands in Austin in 2000 at DKR. The Woodlands put about 10 men in the box all day with the single goal of stopping Benson. 

Lee basically used him as a battering ram. Three yards here, four yards there. He didn't run wild, but it was clear how great he was because he could squeeze something out of nothing. 

27 minutes ago, JFKFC said:

I really hope this isn't true. Oh damn.

Also guys, don't ride motorcycles. 

My Dad always told me never to ride a motorcycle.  He had to identify a couple of friends who died on motorcycles during my elementary years.  One of them had his head separated from his body after his motorcycle slid and went under a truck.

• Like 1