Cedric Benson has passed away - RIP 🤘​​​​​​​

TexEx15

CoA has ignored the 2222 situation for decades, just like the insane at-grade intersections on 290/71.   Even if you drive the speed limit, it is impossible for traffic pulling out on to 2222 to see you coming from more than 10 locations in less than a mile.  In essence, it's a "gun it and hope" strategy.  The only fixes are 1) an elevated concrete 4-lane monstrosity that will get full-nimby, or 2) a tunnel 2.7 miles long under the Mesa neighborhood from mopac to 360, at a cost of approximately $350M-$400M.

1 hour ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

When I was in my teens I had to drive that road to practice every day. I was almost killed one night by someone driving on the wrong side of the road on the curvy section going down towards county line. Probably one of the more dangerous stretches of road in Austin.

Went running once on 2222 in 1970s and it was dangerous then. Never ran it again.

2222 splits Mt Bonnell Rd but both sides of MBR don't connect to each other. Traffic on MBR coming from the north (Cat Mt neighborhood) doesn't have a traffic light at 2222 but vehicles from the south (Mt Bonnell neighborhood) do in fact have a traffic light.

Edited by Chopper
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, Bartles said:

Mt Bonnell / 2222 is a traffic light - either the bike or minivan must have run a red light, I guess? Even late at night I doubt that signal would be blinking yellow

Mt. Bonnell doglegs at 2222.  There’s a light for the southbound leg, not northbound.  Visibility is really poor at that intersection. There’s a hill obscuring the view of westbound traffic.  Certainly could have been the van driver’s fault, but my guess is Ced probably wasn’t observing the posted speed limit and there was no chance for either party to avoid the collision.  There’s just not a lot of room for error at that intersection.

• Like 1

This is just terrible news. I hate motorcycles and would disown my children if they ever got on one but I understand those that love them.

Such a tragic loss. Thoughts and prayers to his family and the family of his passenger.

Loved watching him play football.

RIP

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1