Cedric Benson has passed away - RIP 🤘​​​​​​​

TexEx15

4 hours ago, wood said:

Maybe so. Intentionally or not, my first thought was that it looked like the bike was maybe on its side when it hit the van. Coming across the top of a hill, the faster you go, the less grip you'll have. If he made a panic attempt to stop, turn to avoid the van, or both, it would likely be hard not to lay it down. But really, who knows. I just hope maybe some good can come from this as others  hopefully learn from it.

You'll have to see the pic, it's not gruesome because there are no bodies etc. (although bike is completely engulfed in flame).  The bike is vertical, standing on its front wheel and balanced against the left front fender of the van.  The front wheel of the bike is the only thing that is in contact with the road surface so no it wasn't lain down.  Imagine yourself just casually standing upright and leaning slightly backward with your ass against the front left side of the van for balance.  That's what it looks like.

This is why above I mentioned how hard it is to wrap my head around the fact this pic could actually be real.  It is on TMZ sports after all.  But you do see flaming crotch rocket and white Dodge van.  There's another pic further down on that webpage that shows a distance shot of bike/van and flames, maybe someone familiar with that stretch of road can verify if all that looks like 2222 & MBR.  And for those above who mentioned it no I'm not going to post the pic or any others.

35 minutes ago, Monty86 said:

You'll have to see the pic, it's not gruesome because there are no bodies etc. (although bike is completely engulfed in flame).  The bike is vertical, standing on its front wheel and balanced against the left front fender of the van.  The front wheel of the bike is the only thing that is in contact with the road surface so no it wasn't lain down.  Imagine yourself just casually standing upright and leaning slightly backward with your ass against the front left side of the van for balance.  That's what it looks like.

This is why above I mentioned how hard it is to wrap my head around the fact this pic could actually be real.  It is on TMZ sports after all.  But you do see flaming crotch rocket and white Dodge van.  There's another pic further down on that webpage that shows a distance shot of bike/van and flames, maybe someone familiar with that stretch of road can verify if all that looks like 2222 & MBR.  And for those above who mentioned it no I'm not going to post the pic or any others.

Yeah I saw this morning. Looks like it's kinda perched on the front wheel and handlebars. Maybe the bike went up into a 'stoppy' position  on the front wheel prior to impact. But who knows? It's all just a guess ...

The loss of Cedric has hit hard.  I guess mainly because I was on campus when he played.  I didn’t know him or anything.  But I saw him around quite a bit.  His era was overall such a positive time for us long suffering Longhorn fans and alums.  His last two seasons with VY helping overcome simplistic Greg Davis’ running scheme — he was just a beast.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, wood said:

Yeah I saw this morning. Looks like it's kinda perched on the front wheel and handlebars. Maybe the bike went up into a 'stoppy' position  on the front wheel prior to impact. But who knows? It's all just a guess ...

It makes me think that even if the bike was moving at excessive speed, that minivan pulled out really late.

I've watched that Will Mathews interview at least 50 times now and it's heartbreaking every single time. If there's anything positive to be come from all of this, his message is great:

"Tell people you love them...y'all can talk and say it's sappy, I don't care. People need to hear it. People need to hear it."

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sgt Hulk said:

I wish i hadn’t google that tmz shit or read the story of the good samaratins. Mother of god 

I'm purposefully avoiding it.  What has been seen can't be unseen.

I prefer to remember his smiling face and him gouging defenses.

• Like 1

On 8/21/2019 at 5:22 AM, DigglerontheHoof said:

Damn, this is hitting me harder than expected.  Ced always seemed like a great dude w/ a bit of a wild streak, and I identify w/ that.  I'm also a life-long motorcycle rider, so close to home and all that. 

Ugh

I came across way too hard on motorcycles up thread.  Some raw emotions from what I’ve seen.  Nothing against bike riders in general.  We all have our vices.  Mea Culpa

And again, RIP CB

• Like 2

As someone who met Ced, followed him and appreciated what he did at Texas, I was offended by the racist comments posted above. I thankfully have the great education earned at the University of Texas at Austin and have followed my Horns since I was eight years old in 1968.  I climbed DKR on the 100 anniversary and was of course arrested.  My education broadened my world view and I accept all.  Problem children, those who think, worship, and embrace all.  Naked racism should be called out for what it is.

it has no place in the Longhorn Nation.  The pain makes me angry.  Yeah, he might have been driving fast, but he was always fast.   And he hit hard.  Sad that he did. 

Many good memories of Cedric, but the one that sticks out was when he played with Midland Lee in the HS playoffs in DKR.  That was back when Rick Barnes was just starting to get things going with the basketball team and they were ranked in the top 10 for the first time.  The basketball team was playing at home and about 5000 people showed up.  At the same time, about 40,000 people showed up across the street at DKR to watch the football game and at least half of them were UT fans wanting to check out Cedric.  Cedric had already committed to UT and he threw up a hookem after a touchdown and the place went crazy.  In the press conference, Rick Barnes was complaining that people would rather go watch a high school kid than a top 10 team.  Nobody meant any disrespect to the basketball team, but Ricky was fresh on our mind and we all wanted to go check out the "new one."  Good times in both programs all around.

i never met Cedric, but I loved watching his career at Texas and beyond and losing him hurts bad.  Condolences to his friends and family, I can't imagine the pain.  RIP #32!

• Like 3

On 8/19/2019 at 4:00 AM, thestud said:

Yes I’m fully aware of that because unlike you, I saw all three. In fact, I watched Cedric in person 11 times in his high school career. How many did you see? Midland Lee wasn’t a complete team in 2000, not even close. Westlake was far and away the better TEAM that day, but Lee had Cedric and Westlake didn’t. That’s how much of a badass CB was.

I saw all of them. I played football and graduated from Midland Lee. 

I am fully aware of Benson’s badassery.

I remember watching as El Ced punished Westlake in that high school playoff game and eagerly awaited his arrival on the 40 Acres. 

I knew he had his ups and downs, but it seems like he was an incredible guy that has passed way too soon.

RIP, Ced

On 8/22/2019 at 9:15 PM, williemackgarza said:

What a piece of shit racist fuck

On 8/22/2019 at 9:16 PM, ConferenceRoom said:

TexAgs comes to pay respects.

On 8/22/2019 at 9:16 PM, Domedriver said:

Hi Donald, welcome to the surly.  Kindly take your racist shit and go fuck yourself.

WTH did I miss?