The fleet foot on the sill of shade,
And hold to the low lintel up
The still-defended challenge-cup.

And round that early-laurelled head
Will flock to gaze the strengthless dead,
And find unwithered on its curls
The garland briefer than a girl’s.

• Like 9

Just got out of a movie & was driving back home when my wife gasped while looking at her phone. She said she was almost afraid to tell me while I was driving. I'll never forget that Midland Lee v Westlake state championship game at Memorial Stadium. Ced was truly a man amongst boys. There haven't been many I've ever seen run with better pad level than 32.

Rest in peace, Ced.

I used to go to all the Texas games when I was real little to watch my cousin play, late 80's early 90's. Then I got into school and/orΒ started playing sports myself and didn't really care much for watching college football anymore, you know just doing my own thing. Then I finished high school and went to Texas. 2003. I was hooked, man. Been a die hard ever since and always will be, in large part to his play in my first couple years of college. Rest in piece, Ced. Thanks for the memories

37 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:

If memory serves, the first three carries he ever got for UT were in garbage time in a blowout against rice or ULaLa or something. The crowd absolutely erupted seeing him come off the sideline. He hit the hole so hard and so smooth. He was unique.

New Mexico St. He had his first TD that game too. I had media credentials back then and was fortunate enough to be under the goalpost when he scored.Β 

RIP Ced

• Like 1

Man seeing this thread this morning was a punch in the gut. How tragic. I thought he was a few years older. Man, 36 is just too damn young. Probably just starting to enjoy the fruits of a lifetime in the gym and using your body like a battering ram. A well earned place amongst the legends of Texas and UT football. I didn’t follow recruiting when he came to Texas, I remember the stadium was electric when he came in. Everybody knew...

Damn, this one hurts bad.
RIP 32 and his passenger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Woodlands/Midland semi finals.Β  I think it was the next year that we got curbstomped in the finals by... North Shore/Bobby Reid.Β  I remember Danny Amendola getting just lit up at one point in that game.

4 minutes ago, Scholz said:

Westlake state title game? I saw that. Think he ran over poor Huston Street at safety 50 times that day.

Β 

• Like 1

My memory for things as gotten hazy, but when I think of Ced I seem to remember him putting the team on his back and grinding out yards in a win in Fayetteville in 2003. 29 carries, 188 yards and two touchdowns. Dude wasn't flashy. He was a work horse who got the damn job done. All-time great Longhorn. RIP, Ced.

Just now, Kevin O’Shea said:

RIP Ced.Β 

I remember he got arrested inΒ Austin a few daysΒ before someone set the Texas Governors Mansion on fire. Not sure how/why that sticks with me but for some reason I’ve always liked to think Ced set the mansion ablaze and got away with it.Β 

If that's when he busted in a door to take his tv back from someone's apartment, I definitely remember that as it was in the Daily Texan in maybe my first week at Texas.

1 minute ago, ATLLonghorn said:

My memory for things as gotten hazy, but when I think of Ced I seem to remember him putting the team on his back and grinding out yards in a win in Fayetteville in 2003. 29 carries, 188 yards and two touchdowns. Dude wasn't flashy. He was a work horse who got the damn job done. All-time great Longhorn. RIP, Ced.

Benson was crazy consistent in 2004 the only games he didn't break 100 yards in were Oklahoma (GDGD) and Michigan (because Vince went off) we were 12-1 and Cedric was our MVP.

RIP to a Longhorn legend.

Shame on people here for taking his passing to push your anti-motorcycle agendas.Β  I will gladly die on my iron horse as it has given me more happiness and joy than any of you could ever fathom.Β  Hell I've taken one motorcycle to all 48 of the lower states I'd never do that shit in a car.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Pimphand said:

Benson was crazy consistent in 2004 the only games he didn't break 100 yards in were Oklahoma (GDGD) and Michigan (because Vince went off) we were 12-1 and Cedric was our MVP.

RIP to a Longhorn legend.

Shame on people here for taking his passing to push your anti-motorcycle agendas.Β  I will gladly die on my iron horse as it has given me more happiness and joy than any of you could ever fathom.Β  Hell I've taken one motorcycle to all 48 of the lower states I'd never do that shit in a car.

i don't ride, i laid down my first one at age 15.Β  however i agree this one is on the road not the machine

4 minutes ago, Pimphand said:

Michigan (because Vince went off)

he was injured in the first offensive drive.Β 

i was at midland lee v. ike and westlake both.Β  was never more excited about a recruit and what he could do for us.Β  he showed insane promise in 2001 as a fish (including trucking some aggie safeties into the endzone to seal the road win) until that horrible collision with mike williams on one of simms' 378 ints against colorado in the big 12 champ game.Β  that collision really fucked him up bad and it really ruined his trajectory and 2002 season.Β  once vince came along and the new offensive game plan really create space for cedric in mid-2003, he really found his groove again.Β  he was a tough ass runner and one of the last true tailbacks.Β  certainly some of my fondest texas football memories included cedric benson.

dude loved fast cars, boats, and seem to be a bit of a thrill seeker on the road.Β  i certainly wish he would have made fewer bad decisions with booze and the wheel.Β  but this truly sucks and it unbelievably tragic.Β  rip ced.

• Like 1