Need input/experiences with having a covered patio built

I currently have a wooden deck in the backyard.  It was there when I bought the house.  I hate it and it is starting to fall apart.  A buddy of mine over in Austin recently had a nice limestone patio installed for $5000, but this was a hook up from another friend who had the labor connection.  I am looking to do the roughly the same size 10'x30'.  Anyways, I initially thought of just doing the patio, but I would really like to do a covered patio, which would mean to cut cost I would most likely lose the limestone.  So now I am thinking a covered decorative/stained concrete patio.  What do y'all think I am looking at for price per square foot?  Looking around online it looks like maybe $35-40/sq ft.  Does that sound reasonable?

I am thinking about replacing our existing patio.  The slap has cracked because of the three large oaks, and the fact the dipshits didn't bother to use rebar to reinforce the slab.

Currently the water rushes down and around the existing patio which probably contributed the the side away from the house sagging after it cracked.  I also don't want to do solid cement because I want the trees to get water.  I was thinking of building a stone retaining wall, backfilling it and compacting the fill, then putting down some stone.  The run along the back roof line would force me to have one downspout on the uphill side of the patio.  So I need to deal with that drainage.  With the cash I spend each summer trying to keep my yard alive, I was thinking about combining water collection potential into the patio design via drainage/collection.

Going to do a lot of projects around the house in the coming months.

Patio prices can be all over the place. It depends on the type of roof pitch. Whether there are gutters. The type of posts. Whether the concrete is tied in with the home foundation. The type of under material of the ceiling. The powering of the cover. Floor outlet or not. For 17x17 I saw quotes up to $35k.

Patio prices can be all over the place. It depends on the type of roof pitch. Whether there are gutters. The type of posts. Whether the concrete is tied in with the home foundation. The type of under material of the ceiling. The powering of the cover. Floor outlet or not. For 17x17 I saw quotes up to $35k.

Keeping it pretty simple. 10x30 (maybe 12x30), covered stained concrete. Probably ceiling fan and light and perhaps 1 or 2 flood lights on the corners (so my damn dogs can kill possums). Will keep the columns simple. Concrete my be decorative to mimic stone.

Also depends on where you live, if you have to get it permitted, like here in Austin.  Adds cost and time.  

Yeah, I haven’t looked into the HOA yet. I am in Houston.

If you are doing a concrete pour patio that is next to your slab and you do not tie in, you are  a moron.  IMHO.

It's basically drilling some holes into the existing slap, epoxy in rebar into the holes and tie the new slab onto the inserted rebar.  The usual problem is the new patio slab drifting away from the existing foundation, which sucks appearance wise.  I would never not use rebar on any poured cement slab project, and never ever not tie into an existing slab if pouring next to it.

2 hours ago, horn4life said:

If you are doing a concrete pour patio that is next to your slab and you do not tie in, you are  a moron.  IMHO.

It's basically drilling some holes into the existing slap, epoxy in rebar into the holes and tie the new slab onto the inserted rebar.  The usual problem is the new patio slab drifting away from the existing foundation, which sucks appearance wise.  I would never not use rebar on any poured cement slab project, and never ever not tie into an existing slab if pouring next to it.

How would you tie in with an existing deck on one side and the house and a pool wall on 2 of the remaining three sides? Would you tie into all three sides? That seems like not a great idea because it would make it difficult for the concrete to expand and contract.

1 hour ago, Bevo said:

How would you tie in with an existing deck on one side and the house and a pool wall on 2 of the remaining three sides? Would you tie into all three sides? That seems like not a great idea because it would make it difficult for the concrete to expand and contract.

I would have no idea what would be smart with a pool? I have no idea. I assume you would want to tie the two together but I would not presume to tell you as I honestly do not know.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/3/2019 at 10:02 PM, Spur08 said:

Same. I've already got the slab done now I just need the covered part.

Who would be the best option for a gabled roof covering? Roofers? Paging ROFLBOX

I'm looking for a 15x35/40' covering

Where do you live?

PM with specifics if you wanna.

& YES, provided you're from Georgetown to San Antonio, Llano to Smithville... it's something we can handle.

Where do you live?

PM with specifics if you wanna.

& YES, provided you're from Georgetown to San Antonio, Llano to Smithville... it's something we can handle.

I'm in North Dallas. Below is a quite I got from a guy in my neighborhood who has a company

Answer to my last question w him

"600 SF

Cedar ceiling, 6x6 post, hang 1 fan (provided by customer), 4. can lights on a dimmer, composition roof, gutters

5a4afbad423ed5deede0c0b940b9a19d.jpg

8 hours ago, ROFL BOX said:

Yowzers.

@Born to Run @deadshank, seems maybe $ 5 to possibly $ 10k high to me.  Opinions?

That said, I don't have any visuals to work on , sketch, etc.

Prep area for slab, demo whatever is required, slab pour, build out, more demo as needed along the way, electrical tie in, framing... I'm still thinking $ 27k is high.

All of that screen shot pricing is bunk without a set of plans. Yes, $27K seems high but who knows?  The whole thing is a concept. 

15 hours ago, ROFL BOX said:

Yowzers.

@Born to Run @deadshank, seems maybe $ 5 to possibly $ 10k high to me.  Opinions?

That said, I don't have any visuals to work on , sketch, etc.

Prep area for slab, demo whatever is required, slab pour, build out, more demo as needed along the way, electrical tie in, framing... I'm still thinking $ 27k is high.

6 hours ago, deadshank said:

All of that screen shot pricing is bunk without a set of plans. Yes, $27K seems high but who knows?  The whole thing is a concept. 

Not sure if y'all saw, but the picture of the backyard in the text is mine.  It already has the stamped concrete in place, so my assumption is that they would built on top of that (i.e. no slab needed, right?).  Will they need to demo my current roof where they tie in?  Or do they just mount it directly on top?

Regarding plans, is this something I need to provide to someone or is this something that the contractor usually provides?  If the former, how would I go about developing (other than looking at pinterest)?

29 minutes ago, Spur08 said:

Not sure if y'all saw, but the picture of the backyard in the text is mine.  It already has the stamped concrete in place, so my assumption is that they would built on top of that (i.e. no slab needed, right?).  Will they need to demo my current roof where they tie in?  Or do they just mount it directly on top?

Regarding plans, is this something I need to provide to someone or is this something that the contractor usually provides?  If the former, how would I go about developing (other than looking at pinterest)?

I saw the pic. Your patio flatwork is oddly shaped. The potential structure above it won’t be. To make it “look right” the existing flatwork may need to get removed to “square it up.”  New underground electrical and water (if you want it at some place away from the existing exterior back wall) would need to be run, forms set and concrete poured.  

Most likely a new roof will need to be integrated into the framework of the existing house in a way that makes structural and aesthetic sense.  The simpler the better.  A simple shed roof frame out would be easiest and simplest.  

Certainly you should be able to get an architectural referral from a decent and legit contractor.  You don’t need a fancy pants architect to go crazy.  Give her / him strict instructions you want it a simple design that can allow for nice stuff.  Not some jacked up designer with turrets and parapet walls. 

Your going to need plans for the local municipality building department and permitting. And don’t forget your HOA, if you have one. 

Look at Pinterest for ideas so you don’t get across from an architect and sit there with a slack jaw and say “uh.....”

You can get there.  It’s not that big of a job. Just get your shit together and have a plan (literally and figuratively).

@Onboard 2.0

Edited by deadshank

I’ve posted mine in other threads, but here it is. Pine tongue in groove ceiling, 2 fans, boxed in lights, electrical outlets, roll down shades on 3 sides, gutters and a pitched roof for in the ballpark of $20k.

312D3E00-CCF6-40DC-B78A-B11A0CB13781.jpeg

5D429E14-86AF-47D0-B6A1-10B816E0EE59.jpeg

Edited by Brew

On 9/13/2019 at 10:04 PM, Spur08 said:

Thanks guys. Any advice from the process? Anything would avoid doing again or revisit?

Pretty happy with mine. The bigassfan has totally been worth it. Moves a ton of air, silent, and looks cool. I wish I had done a pool at the same time, because the patio begs for one, particularly in houston. Make sure to have a good spot for your tv. That is critical for use. 

27 minutes ago, orange dream said:

Dahobbs, what was approximate cost of your project?  If the cost includes the kitchen, how much was kitchen vs. the patio and cover.  Looks awesome by the way.

~60k, including moving the overhead power lines, upgrading the electrical box, and mounting 70 inch TV. I don't remember the exact breakdown, but the kitchen itself was roughly half the cost. So maybe 30K kitchen, 10k electrical, 20k covered patio?

• Like 1

• 11 months later...
On 8/21/2020 at 2:25 AM, deft said:

@rofl box came to my house last year when we first moved to SA to do gutters and I asked him about building something over our backyard slap. Still kicking myself for not having done something yet.

We're still available.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Irish Wrist Watch said:

Make sure the new patio won't interfere with drainage. I hate the solid roof my landlord insisted on putting on the new pergola. Complete waste of money. Absolutely hate it.

We frequently get asked "Hey, can you put something solid up top here?  Sure, we get occasional shade but it's still hot between the slats & of course we can't use it when it's raining - no grilling, letting the dogs outside, etc.".

Can't see the stars.

Is there a reason you can't walk a few extra feet to look up?

• 5 months later...

Bumping this just to say patio/cover companies suck. After giving up for a few months in trying to find a reliable patio company that can quote the job and simply follow-up, I gave it one more shot. I reached out to another firm and at first it was awesome.

I gave them drawings of what to build, and they came out to look and drew up a quote within a day. They then provided two references which were solid. I sent them an email to send me their final quote to address a few open items. Ghosted. 

This now makes something like 7 firms that just simply have blown us off, even though they say they want the work, can do the work, and I didn't even negotiate them down on price at all. And instead of just saying they are too busy, they just never got back to us. And no, our requirements are not unusual or unreasonable and we aren't dickheads.  It's just a bunch of terribly run companies.  Amazing.

So, we are back looking at boats.  If I can't get a patio/cover built, I might as well have some other recreational activity to do this summer.

4 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

Bumping this just to say patio/cover companies suck. After giving up for a few months in trying to find a reliable patio company that can quote the job and simply follow-up, I gave it one more shot. I reached out to another firm and at first it was awesome.

I gave them drawings of what to build, and they came out to look and drew up a quote within a day. They then provided two references which were solid. I sent them an email to send me their final quote to address a few open items. Ghosted. 

This now makes something like 7 firms that just simply have blown us off, even though they say they want the work, can do the work, and I didn't even negotiate them down on price at all. And instead of just saying they are too busy, they just never got back to us. And no, our requirements are not unusual or unreasonable and we aren't dickheads.  It's just a bunch of terribly run companies.  Amazing.

So, we are back looking at boats.  If I can't get a patio/cover built, I might as well have some other recreational activity to do this summer.

Have you tried Cutters Landscaping?  I haven't used them but I know the owner and have been impressed with some of the builds he's shown me that they've done.  

Amazing.

With everyone staying at home, construction is busy beyond belief. I would expand your search beyond patio cover companies. A general contractor should be able to build a patio cover, no problem. Let me put it this way, a firefighter who moonlights as a handy man built mine 15 years ago and it’s still going strong.

• 2 weeks later...