chrstimas in the snow

BillyBadAss

My Central Texas kids, 8 and 10, have never played in real snow. Looking to do a family vacation on or around xmas this year with my folks and sister.

We'll have 5 adults and 2 kids.   If we were near a ski area I'd likely be the only adult to ski/ride, but would like a place where the kids can snow-tube or sled or whatever.

Prefer a hotel/resort over renting a house so everyone can have their space at the end of the day.

Whatcha got?

i am certainly no skiing expert but i believe the conventional wisdom is that keystone and winter park have the most kid-friendly activities and still quality skiing.  i know a friend of mine swears by keystone in terms of kid shit to do.

Park City.  Easy non-stop flight to Salt Lake City and was maybe a 45-minute ride to the resort area in Deer Valley.  Lots of kids stuff to do besides skiing.  

My Central Texas kids, 8 and 10, have never played in real snow. Looking to do a family vacation on or around xmas this year with my folks and sister.
We'll have 5 adults and 2 kids.   If we were near a ski area I'd likely be the only adult to ski/ride, but would like a place where the kids can snow-tube or sled or whatever.
Prefer a hotel/resort over renting a house so everyone can have their space at the end of the day.
Whatcha got?

Trade you spots
  • Haha 1

Sun valley with all the shit they do at Christmas is fucking awesome. 

Edit to add context: they turn their little row of shops into Santa's village, they do horse drawn sleigh rides to the restaurant I can't remember the name of right now, they do a night ski show that is really cool, fireworks over the ice rink. I'm sure other places do the same type of stuff, but they go all out. It really is pretty neat. 

Edited by pops

8 hours ago, BillyBadAss said:

Whatcha got?

You are going to pay a premium for  hotel/resort accommodations at most of the Ski resorts in Colorado, Utah, etc.  because it's the busy season for obvious reasons during Christmas/New Years.   If you are willing to pay the price, you should start shopping now for those accommodations.   Of course closer to mountain/lifts, the bigger the bite on the wallet.  

I would suggest  you actually travel on Christmas Day if flying to somewhere like Denver or Salt Lake City.   We went to Beaver Creek a few years ago via Denver on Christmas Day and DIA was remarkably business as usual and the  I-70 traffic westbound was not all that bad.  Most of the heavy Christmas travel was done the day or two before.  

I’m not a skier, and neither is the wife, and our kiddo is about to turn 2, so I was in the market for something similar without the strings of preferring a ski town. 

Im going to preempt this by saying my family is from Missouri, I fucking hate Missouri and the people in it, generally, and I’d be perfectly happy not going back, ever again. BUT, after doing some research it seems like Branson Missouri has an amazing Christmas festival and activities. 

https://www.southernliving.com/christmas/branson-mo-christmas

14 hours ago, Lobo said:

Park City.  Easy non-stop flight to Salt Lake City and was maybe a 45-minute ride to the resort area in Deer Valley.  Lots of kids stuff to do besides skiing.  

This or Breckenridge. Both will have enough activities to keep the non skiers busy. However, I would put your own kids on the slopes and let everyone else figure out what they are doing. 

Look for small condos where you can split up into 2-3 groups. They are usually cheaper than the hotels in the area.

We did the same thing with our kids years ago between Christmas and New Years.  Stayed at a resort in Ruidoso and the kids tubed at a place at the base of the Ski Apache mountain.  Road trip from Austin stopping at White Sands on the way there and Carlsbad on the way home.

5 hours ago, Mo Horn said:

If you like outdoors, check out Yellowstone. Not the skiing or tubing, although there is some not too fast away, but gorgeous. 

This wouldn’t be a “things to do” trip like sun valley above, but if you stay in one of the cabins or house at pahaska teepee at the east Yellowstone gate, there’s cross country ski trails and a little downhill ski hill, plus a service that provides snowmobile tours of Yellowstone. 

For a regular hotel, you’d have to stay in cody 50 miles away. 

I think the hotels that are in the park are booked years in advance, but that might be incorrect.