AP Top 25

TrashMaster G

I know this isn't the CFP thread but it's hard to avoid talking about it when you're talking about team rankings even if it is a poll and not from the committee. All that to say the CFP folks have pulled some surprises out of their asses before and the entire thing is to generate drama and viewers and clicks etc... It's reality TV. I think 'Bama is getting left out this year though it may not happen until the very last weeks big reveal. JMHO.

Ok. Here is the fun scenario.  Bama loses to auburn, they both have 2 losses, so they’re both out.  LSU loses to Georgia in sec champ. Game, kind of a sloppy game by both teams.  One of those teams is in, right? But meanwhile Minnesota, Baylor, and Clemson go undefeated and look really good.  Who gets in, OSU, who lost to Minnesota, or LSU, who lost to a big underdog Georgia.

the answer is LSU, cuz they played a tougher schedule, braved the 120 degree locker room in Austin, and they had the heat cramps to prove it.  Yes! 

13 minutes ago, orangecat92 said:

Ok. Here is the fun scenario.  Bama loses to auburn, they both have 2 losses, so they’re both out.  LSU loses to Georgia in sec champ. Game, kind of a sloppy game by both teams.  One of those teams is in, right? But meanwhile Minnesota, Baylor, and Clemson go undefeated and look really good.  Who gets in, OSU, who lost to Minnesota, or LSU, who lost to a big underdog Georgia.

the answer is LSU, cuz they played a tougher schedule, braved the 120 degree locker room in Austin, and they had the heat cramps to prove it.  Yes! 

I know you're joking around, but Minnesota, Baylor, Clemson get in, along with Georgia.  They wouldn't leave out one-loss SEC champ Georgia in favor of LSU, unless they are trolls who want to see Georgia secede again.

But it's a moot point, Baylor ain't winning out.

Edited by atomheartbevo

55 minutes ago, orangecat92 said:

I think the biggest question for Saturday is which way do the refs roll?  Baylor vs. ou.  Only 2 spots apart in the polls.  The refs could easily decide the game.   

PSX-20191109-205225.jpg

Hopefully they fuck over Baylor. That's our only chance.

1 hour ago, Chet Steadman said:

College football started playing gamesin August.  You should probably start watching before posting in CFB forums.  

Big 12 is laughable.

Baylor OOC is SFA, UTSA, and Rice.

Chokelahoma played UCLA and Houston, so it wasn't as bad. They tried.

Who exactly in the big12 has a big OOC win?

1 hour ago, BearSchlong said:
12 hours ago, NowThis said:
Suppose Baylor goes 13-0, knocks off Bama, would Surly approve?

I think if Baylor goes 13-0 we've got bigger fish to fry, like the prospect of human extinction as a mammoth asteroid takes aim at mother Earth.

Waco has a monument to dead mammoths. Try again.

Baylor has a shot vs. OU. See recent history at Waco

2017, Baylor went 1-11 that year, the only win vs. 1-11 Kansas!  Baylor lost at home to OU 49-41.

2015 Baylor a very good 10-3 , lost to 11-2 OU  44-34

2013 Baylor 11-2 beat an 11-2 OU team 41-12 !  Damn. UT hasn't beaten OU that bad since VY or ever maybe.

2011 Baylor 10-3 beat 10-3 OU 45-38

3 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

Yep.  Stepped into the river.   Flood came.  Buried under mud.  Very sad  

Yeah. terrible thing. Though I guess that if the earth is ever blown to smithereens those chunks of bone could find their way into the cosmos and become a mammoth asteroid. So, there's a chance.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jive Turkey said:

Let’s say LSU, Ohio State, and Clemson all win out. They’re in. 

OU, Oregon, and Bama also win out. 

Who gets the fourth spot? Bama won’t be a conference champ but they will have beaten Auburn, who beat Oregon. OU will be a conference champ, but they easily have the worst loss. 

538's playoff predictor says OU (65%) over Oregon (31%) and Alabama (3%) in that situation.  A one loss non-division champ whose best and only Top-25 win is against a 3 or more likely 4 loss Auburn should not get in over a 1-loss Power 5 conference champion.  College football would implode if Alabama got in under those circumstances.  

Bama getting into the playoff would send the message that quality of losses and the entirely subjective "eye test" are more important than quality of wins, conference division titles and conference championships.  I do think that Bama getting in in that situation would guarantee an early expansion of the playoff to 8 or the Big 12 and PAC 10 would threaten to drop out of the playoff structure. The Big 10 and Rose Bowl would follow along with the PAC 10 to isolate the SEC and the NCAA.

16 hours ago, NowThis said:

Suppose Baylor goes 13-0, knocks off Bama, would Surly approve?

Baylor is a shit institution that covered up multiple rapes and assualts against women because they wanted to be good at Football. Not only did they foster a culture of sexual assualt by knowingly bringing in predators, they shamed any person who came forward, covered it up, denied it, and continue to deny it even after mountains of evidence and witnesses have confirmed it. Even the local police and judges were in on the whole thing. I wouldn't root for Baylor if doing so would guarantee Texas a national championship because I'm not a piece of shit. There are more important things in life than a silly game. I hope a large tornado destroys that garbage diploma mill. 

If you anyone roots for Baylor, 

Image result for your soul is dogshit gif

Edited by Neonmoon
  • Like 1

Let’s say LSU, Ohio State, and Clemson all win out. They’re in. 

OU, Oregon, and Bama also win out. 

Who gets the fourth spot? Bama won’t be a conference champ but they will have beaten Auburn, who beat Oregon. OU will be a conference champ, but they easily have the worst loss. 

Close between OU and Oregon. Keep in mind by then the loss comparison could easily be Oregon lost neutral to 8-4 Auburn and OU lost road to 9-3 Kansas State so not “easily” the worst loss unless you just mean as compared between OU and Bama. Also possible by then that OU has 4 wins over teams in final rankings (Texas, OSU, Baylor, title game) and Bama and Oregon have one each (Auburn and Utah).

3 hours ago, alincoln said:

Bama getting into the playoff would send the message that quality of losses and the entirely subjective "eye test" are more important than quality of wins, conference division titles and conference championships.  I do think that Bama getting in in that situation would guarantee an early expansion of the playoff to 8 or the Big 12 and PAC 10 would threaten to drop out of the playoff structure. The Big 10 and Rose Bowl would follow along with the PAC 10 to isolate the SEC and the NCAA.

Like the last time it happened?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, alincoln said:

Nope.  Everyone who got in that year won their conference.  The controversy was that Ohio State passed them after crushing Wisconsin in the Big 10 championship.

You're right. I still think ou has another loss in them. If it comes down to Oregon and Alabama, I think they give the nod to Bama. 

Edited by texaslong

4 hours ago, alincoln said:

thought the whole purpose of the committee was to give this the eye test 

if by "eye test" you mean playing favorites, then yes, that's the purpose of the committee.

I think anyone who has watched this play out over the last few years can conclude that if the BCS formula was just applied to arrive at FOUR teams instead of the 2 that it was used for then we'd probably be pretty dang close to getting the 'best" teams into a playoff. jmho, of course. It might exclude some conference champions too I guess, I'd have to go back and look at it's results before it was dropped.

edit: of course at least one conference would be kept out with only 4 teams in. duh.

Edited by El Diablo

1 minute ago, El Diablo said:

if by "eye test" you mean playing favorites, then yes, that's the purpose of the committee.

I think anyone who has watched this play out over the last few years can conclude that if the BCS formula was just applied to arrive at FOUR teams instead of the 2 that it was used for then we'd probably be pretty dang close to getting the 'best" teams into a playoff. jmho, of course. It might exclude some conference champions too I guess, I'd have to go back and look at it's results before it was dropped.

they've run the BCS formula as close as they can and it's been pretty much the same as the committee has come up with, at least I know the year everyone bitches about Bama making it in was 

1 minute ago, hookem48 said:

so give it the eye test

I think it is to enforce unwritten agreements among the conferences to address situations exactly like the one posited on this thread (i.e., Power 5 conference champs must get the nod over non-conference champs regardless of what the computers say).

8 hours ago, alincoln said:

Interestingly, the BCS would have chosen the exact four teams each season.  

The first 3 teams are usually pretty obvious even if your using the Craigslist poll.  For four, the computers love the quality losses. Those losses are usually on teams who regularly schedule the top teams.  So Bama will usually have a loss a lot better than UCF.

3 minutes ago, El Diablo said:

That's one vote for tournament of champions.

And against the fucking charade of the ‘eyetest.’  See also- ‘ Can we has 3 SEC teams and Clempsom?’

Stop rewarding the bullshit scheduling of the SEC.  no more November cupcakes/ directional schools/ built in byes.  Standardize the scheduling for 9 conference games.

Edited by Iceman
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Iceman said:

And against the fucking charade of the ‘eyetest.’  See also- ‘ Can we has 3 SEC teams and Clempsom?’

Stop rewarding the bullshit scheduling of the SEC.  no more November cupcakes/ directional schools/ built in byes.  Standardize the scheduling for 9 conference games.

Why you vote the way you do is your own business. The committee is there, presumbably, to normalize for the inconsistencies among the various conferences. 

What year have you disagreed with their final four?