AP Top 25

TrashMaster G

26 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

Zavala just really dislikes the Big 12 and sees nothing but darkness and Baylor within it.

Yep.  Sounds all slimy, but having a good, strong conference from top to bottom is really damn good for a league that plays a round robin.  Kansas would/could beat 3-4 teams in the SEC right now.  

Edited by Trey3216

45 minutes ago, notre dame joe said:

I watched how they don't have to play LSU in the regular season and put an extra L on the conferences bottom line.  This unchanging fact seems to have dirtied many panties.

Still fucking that conference play chicken?  lulz

• Like 1

Just remember this.. When everybody discusses how "superior" the SEC is and the grind of it is unlike any other conf. 

In the 3 seasons before and after Missouri and ATM left the BIg 12 they had the following record

Missouri conf record was 15-10 in B12  and  16-8 in the SEC which included a Top 5 finish

ATM conf record was 13-12 in the B12 and 13-11 in the SEC which included a top 5 finish

But that’s not the narrative so that doesn’t matter. Results don’t actually matter when talking sec football. It’s eyeballs and more people in bama watch football than people in 90% of Midwest and pacific states. That’s what matters. 

@TXSooner518 I owe you a response. I think I have one wrinkle to put in but need to think the logic over. $20 a good friendly wager or are you thinking something else?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, joeycovers said:

Just remember this.. When everybody discusses how "superior" the SEC is and the grind of it is unlike any other conf. 

In the 3 seasons before and after Missouri and ATM left the BIg 12 they had the following record

Missouri conf record was 15-10 in B12  and  16-8 in the SEC which included a Top 5 finish

ATM conf record was 13-12 in the B12 and 13-11 in the SEC which included a top 5 finish

The records are good indicators of success, the top 5 finishes are BECAUSE SECx3

If they were both still in the B12 with their respective records after joining SEC they would have ended up ranked around the 10ish spot.  

Your point still stands, SECx3 is just another conference except their bottom dwellers are worse than most others.  

Funny thing about the narrative of SEC defenses, LSU and Bama going spread and their defenses suffer.  Playing good spread offenses makes your defense look worse, see 46-41.  And running your own spread hurts your defense because they have less rest and play more snaps.  

Sushi had a good breakdown pre-LSU where he pointed out statistics about their defense collapsing after ~50 snaps.  Play 3 yards and a clouds of dust shortens games and limits snaps, making your defense look better.  

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Treefidy said:

Sushi had a good breakdown pre-LSU where he pointed out statistics about their defense collapsing after ~50 snaps.  Play 3 yards and a clouds of dust shortens games and limits snaps, making your defense look better.  

Yeah, unfortunately for us, the Texas defense collapses after about 2 snaps.  Ugh.

3 hours ago, Valmy77 said:

Zavala just really dislikes the Big 12 and sees nothing but darkness and Baylor within it.

Yup. It all came crashing down for me Okie Lite 2015 paying to watch that shit.

2 hours ago, Trey3216 said:

Yep.  Sounds all slimy, but having a good, strong conference from top to bottom is really damn good for a league that plays a round robin.  Kansas would/could beat 3-4 teams in the SEC right now.  

Good luck ever convincing any one of that. People see final scores and say all big12 defenses suck and the conference is weak top to bottom.

The SEC is as good as it gets at the top, but it is top heavy and that's compounded by the scheduling. LSU is obviously as good as anyone this year. Bama may be overrated at 4 but they're top 10. Georgia, Auburn, and Florida are in the 10-20 range.

The gap between those 5 and #6... Idk who that'd even be off the top of my head - aggy? Cavernous. Hell, honestly the gap between LSU and 2-5 is big. And then there are eight teams in the Tech/WVU/Kansas tier.

LSU avoids Georgia.
Bama skips UGA and Florida.
Georgia misses Bama and LSU.
Florida misses Bama and the one other team with a pulse, aggy.

Auburn gets fucked lol.

All of the above feast on an extra buy a win and several auto Ws in league play.

Contrast with the Big 12, which has no truly elite team, but seven in that 5-35 range (I'm honestly not sure how to treat OU this year). All of whom play one another. All of whom play a P5 ooc on top of that nine game schedule.

The SEC is the best league at the top because it's got a large number of historical power programs. Expansion and eight game schedules have given them all a free pass to 8-9 wins a year, at minimum. The east is so bad that I'm pretty sure the AAC West would have a wining record if we just played 1 vs 1 and on down. The Big 12 has the highest concentration/proportion of quality football teams and has been the best coached league in cfb over the past 10-20 years. The (stupid ass) ccg pits 1 vs 2. It's absolutely the deepest schedule wise and has the hardest path to the playoff.

Only when the stars align and a team like Auburn this year defies the odds and draws two good teams cross division does the idea that an SEC schedule is any harder than a B12 schedule hold up.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Baylor has a shot vs. OU. See recent history at Waco
2017, Baylor went 1-11 that year, the only win vs. 1-11 Kansas!  Baylor lost at home to OU 49-41.
2015 Baylor a very good 10-3 , lost to 11-2 OU  44-34
2013 Baylor 11-2 beat an 11-2 OU team 41-12 !  Damn. UT hasn't beaten OU that bad since VY or ever maybe.
2011 Baylor 10-3 beat 10-3 OU 45-38

Neat.

Those players are in their 20s and not playing for baylor or mobilhoma anymore nor are the coaches coaching the same.
  • Haha 1

The SEC is as good as it gets at the top, but it is top heavy and that's compounded by the scheduling. LSU is obviously as good as anyone this year. Bama may be overrated at 4 but they're top 10. Georgia, Auburn, and Florida are in the 10-20 range.

The gap between those 5 and #6... Idk who that'd even be off the top of my head - aggy? Cavernous. Hell, honestly the gap between LSU and 2-5 is big. And then there are eight teams in the Tech/WVU/Kansas tier.

LSU avoids Georgia.
Bama skips UGA and Florida.
Georgia misses Bama and LSU.
Florida misses Bama and the one other team with a pulse, aggy.

Auburn gets fucked lol.

All of the above feast on an extra buy a win and several auto Ws in league play.

Contrast with the Big 12, which has no truly elite team, but seven in that 5-35 range (I'm honestly not sure how to treat OU this year). All of whom play one another. All of whom play a P5 ooc on top of that nine game schedule.

The SEC is the best league at the top because it's got a large number of historical power programs. Expansion and eight game schedules have given them all a free pass to 8-9 wins a year, at minimum. The east is so bad that I'm pretty sure the AAC West would have a wining record if we just played 1 vs 1 and on down. The Big 12 has the highest concentration/proportion of quality football teams and has been the best coached league in cfb over the past 10-20 years. The (stupid ass) ccg pits 1 vs 2. It's absolutely the deepest schedule wise and has the hardest path to the playoff.

Only when the stars align and a team like Auburn this year defies the odds and draws two good teams cross division does the idea that an SEC schedule is any harder than a B12 schedule hold up.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Too much logic and common sense.

Do you even “eye ball” test bro?

On 11/13/2019 at 9:34 AM, TXSooner518 said:

Here is my proposal, posting it here in case any of the other SEC conspiracy caterwaulers want in:

If Alabama finishes 11-1 and is not the SEC West representative in the SEC Championship Game:

• I win the bet if Alabama does not make the playoffs
  • You win the bet if Alabama makes the playoffs and at least one undefeated or 1-loss P5 conference champion does not make the playoffs
  • No action if Alabama makes the playoffs but no undefeated or 1-loss P5 conference champion misses the playoffs

Obviously no action if Alabama loses another game, or if LSU somehow drops 2 and Bama sneaks into the SEC title game.

I’m good with this except I would add that if 2 SEC teams not named bama make the playoff then no action. Thought being that if Georgia beats LSU in the CCG and they both get in then obviously bama is out  

My assumption is basically that Baylor or OU will be left out. Clemson will get in as long as they don’t shit themselves. Oregon is on the outside looking in unless there is chaos. I think OSU and Clemson are in. Then if LSU wins out bama is in. If they lose in CCG then Georgia and LSU. 

You cool with the SEC wrinkle?

2 hours ago, Jhawk said:

I’m good with this except I would add that if 2 SEC teams not named bama make the playoff then no action. Thought being that if Georgia beats LSU in the CCG and they both get in then obviously bama is out  

My assumption is basically that Baylor or OU will be left out. Clemson will get in as long as they don’t shit themselves. Oregon is on the outside looking in unless there is chaos. I think OSU and Clemson are in. Then if LSU wins out bama is in. If they lose in CCG then Georgia and LSU. 

Yes and I think the only way the Big12 gets into the playoffs is an undefeated Baylor. I could see Baylor maybe beating OU once but there's no way they would beat OU twice.

Edited by Extra Anejo

2 hours ago, Jhawk said:

Sure, that's fair. Booked for $20!

• Like 1

17 hours ago, TXSooner518 said:

Hey J with the Tua injury let me know if you wanna cancel the bet. I think that decreases the chances that they put Bama in which wasn’t my point in the bet. Totally fine keeping action of course but wanted to give you the option.

Was thinking about that this morning as well but fuck it. Let’s let it ride. We already have the bama has to win out scenario in the bet so I can see an argument that the press would make of “bama won with a backup QB. That just shows how deep and good this team is. They deserve to be in.”

if anything it makes the bet a little more interesting to me. Can’t believe I’m going to cheer for bama and the SEC to get two teams in but I’m all for burning the whole playoff structure to the ground so fuck it. Roll tide ma facka. 

• Like 1

On 11/16/2019 at 4:31 PM, TXSooner518 said:

Hey J with the Tua injury let me know if you wanna cancel the bet. I think that decreases the chances that they put Bama in which wasn’t my point in the bet. Totally fine keeping action of course but wanted to give you the option.

I think bama staying in the 5 spot realllllly helps me. I know beating Zona isn’t going to move the needle too much for Oregon but bama has the chance to hang on. Show out next week and then get a huge win for the freshman against auburn and you might just keep the PAC out. OU loses to Baylor in the CCG and we’re cooking with gas. Especially if Utah beats Oregon in the PAC championship. 

On 11/16/2019 at 4:31 PM, TXSooner518 said:

Yep it's actually killed their playoff chance IMO.

it's no longer the Alabama invitational. Fuck Saban. He did this to himself with his style points.

10 hours ago, Zavala said:

Yep it's actually killed their playoff chance IMO.

it's no longer the Alabama invitational. Fuck Saban. He did this to himself with his style points.

Another idiotic take man. Literally no team takes their starters out in the first half, with very very rare FCS-type exceptions. If the dude was healthy enough to play (he was, his injury had nothing to do with his prior ankle situation), there's no reason to pull him. It's pure results oriented silliness. No one said shit about Justin Fields throwing a TD in the 3rd quarter up 35-7 against Rutgers.  Exact same score when Tua got hurt, but in the 3rd Q instead of 2nd Q, and against one of the 15 worst teams in college football rather than a middle of the pack conference opponent on the road. 

• Like 4

His ankle injury unquestionably limited his ability to escape pressure.  Tua was hobbling towards the sideline when he was caught by the MSU defenders and it is not unreasonable to question whether he would have avoided the hip injury if he was healthy.  No one pulls their QB in Q2, but I wonder if teams will do so in the future in similar situations (star QB carrying an injury in a blowout). 

1 hour ago, TXSooner518 said:

Another idiotic take man. Literally no team takes their starters out in the first half, with very very rare FCS-type exceptions. If the dude was healthy enough to play (he was, his injury had nothing to do with his prior ankle situation), there's no reason to pull him. It's pure results oriented silliness. No one said shit about Justin Fields throwing a TD in the 3rd quarter up 35-7 against Rutgers.  Exact same score when Tua got hurt, but in the 3rd Q instead of 2nd Q, and against one of the 15 worst teams in college football rather than a middle of the pack conference opponent on the road. 

Yeah it's probably the smart move to keep your recently injured QB in there when you are up 28 points.

4 minutes ago, Jhawk said:

Also.. bama scored 3 points after he went out. Any team with a pulse could have made that a game if they yank him with 28 points on the board. 

Sure, but the way he went out was also traumatic to the team. 

He goes and sits on the bench and the back up goes in to close this game out they probably play a bit different. 

1 hour ago, alincoln said:

His ankle injury unquestionably limited his ability to escape pressure.  Tua was hobbling towards the sideline when he was caught by the MSU defenders and it is not unreasonable to question whether he would have avoided the hip injury if he was healthy.  No one pulls their QB in Q2, but I wonder if teams will do so in the future in similar situations (star QB carrying an injury in a blowout). 

Eh. You can game plan around lack of elusiveness and Tua needs to make certain decisions. The injury was a completely fluky thing. 

1 hour ago, Zavala said:

Yeah it's probably the smart move to keep your recently injured QB in there when you are up 28 points.

I mean at some point, why play Tua at all other than against the 3 or 4 toughest teams on your schedule? Pulling players before half does a disservice to the players, the fans, the entire college football system. Should the Pats just sit Brady when they play the Dolphins and Jets? I mean they don't NEED him in there to win. If he hadn't been suspended, should tOSU just sit Chase Young for the Maryland and Rutgers games?  Why is Fields in there throwing in the 3rd up 35-7 on Rutgers?  At some point,  you have to accept it is football, and not try to results-oriented reverse engineer everything.

34 minutes ago, TXSooner518 said:

Eh. You can game plan around lack of elusiveness and Tua needs to make certain decisions. The injury was a completely fluky thing. 

I mean at some point, why play Tua at all other than against the 3 or 4 toughest teams on your schedule? Pulling players before half does a disservice to the players, the fans, the entire college football system. Should the Pats just sit Brady when they play the Dolphins and Jets? I mean they don't NEED him in there to win. If he hadn't been suspended, should tOSU just sit Chase Young for the Maryland and Rutgers games?  Why is Fields in there throwing in the 3rd up 35-7 on Rutgers?  At some point,  you have to accept it is football, and not try to results-oriented reverse engineer everything.

You keep comparing his situation to a healthy Ohio State QB. Thats not his situation. He's playing hurt, it severely limits his mobility, and it's why he got injured. It wasn't a fluke. He figured he could get away with his feet to give him enough time to throw the ball away - and he couldn't - because he's playing hurt. Up 28 points against a shitty team.

You can keep comparing him to healthy QBs to make your point all you want. It was a dumb move to keep him in once the game is out of reach. It ended up fucking their season because they would've gotten pushed into the playoff with Tua.

You play your best players.  That's how it works.  If Tua doesn't get injured there are you going to say "should have only played the backup QB"?  Should they have sat him until he was 100% healthy and just bet on the come that the back up would get them to the playoff?  That isn't what they did last year.  He stated he was 80% healthy going into the playoff.

Bama is currently a 1 loss team that isn't going to the conference champ game.  They need to win convincingly to get a championship shot.  Aside from that, no team has ever been up 28 and pulled players in the first half.  Not when college football teams consistently score at the rate they do these days.  MSST has scored 14 or more in a quarter in all but 3 of their games this year, leading up to the Bama game.  They can score some points even though they suck shit through a straw.

You've got a bad take, but that's ok.  You play to win the game, maybe Saban knows he isn't going to win shit with the back up.  He's got a lot more wins than you do, I'm going to go ahead and trust his judgement being that the Bo Jackson injury has happened about 5 times in the history of football.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

1 LSU (15-0) 1,550

2 Clemson (14-1) 1,487

3 Ohio State (13-1) 1,426

4 Georgia (12-2) 1,336

5 Oregon (12-2) 1,249

6 Florida (11-2) 1,211

7 Oklahoma (12-2) 1,179

8 Alabama (11-2) 1,159

9 Penn State (11-2) 1,038

10 Minnesota (11-2) 952

11 Wisconsin (10-4) 883

12 Notre Dame (11-2) 879

13 Baylor (11-3) 827

14 Auburn (9-4) 726

15 Iowa (10-3) 699

16 Utah (11-3) 543

17 Memphis (12-2) 528

18 Michigan (9-4) 468

19 Appalachian State (13-1) 466

20 Navy (11-2) 415

21 Cincinnati (11-3) 343

22 Air Force (11-2) 209

23 Boise State (12-2) 188

24 UCF (10-3) 78

25 Texas (8-5) 69

Others receiving votes:

Texas A&M 54, Florida Atlantic 46, Washington 39, Virginia 28, USC 16, San Diego State 13, Arizona State 12, SMU 10, Tennessee 8, California 6, Louisiana Tech 2, Kentucky 2, Kansas State 2, Louisiana-Lafayette 2

Edited by LonghornSean

6 minutes ago, satyanash said:

oh god why are we ranked

Because our resume is better than the teams receiving votes. A&M finished 26th (most receiving votes). 

Wins against teams with winning records- Texas (4) A&M (1)

Wins against top 25 AP teams- Texas (1) A&M (0)

Sagarin SOS- Texas (6th) A&M (18th)

Warren Nolan ELO SOS- Texas (6th) A&M (30th)

Warren Nolan OWP SOS- Texas (11th) A&M (28th)

Edited by texasstrong12
  • Like 7

8 minutes ago, LonghornSean said:

1 LSU (15-0) 1,550

2 Clemson (14-1) 1,487

3 Ohio State (13-1) 1,426

4 Georgia (12-2) 1,336

5 Oregon (12-2) 1,249

6 Florida (11-2) 1,211

7 Oklahoma (12-2) 1,179

8 Alabama (11-2) 1,159

9 Penn State (11-2) 1,038

10 Minnesota (11-2) 952

11 Wisconsin (10-4) 883

12 Notre Dame (11-2) 879

13 Baylor (11-3) 827

14 Auburn (9-4) 726

15 Iowa (10-3) 699

16 Utah (11-3) 543

17 Memphis (12-2) 528

18 Michigan (9-4) 468

19 Appalachian State (13-1) 466

20 Navy (11-2) 415

21 Cincinnati (11-3) 343

22 Air Force (11-2) 209

23 Boise State (12-2) 188

24 UCF (10-3) 78

25 Texas (8-5) 69

Others receiving votes:

Texas A&M 54, Florida Atlantic 46, Washington 39, Virginia 28, USC 16, San Diego State 13, Arizona State 12, SMU 10, Tennessee 8, California 6, Louisiana Tech 2, Kentucky 2, Kansas State 2, Louisiana-Lafayette 2

Best 8-5 team in the country

will ferrell yes GIF

• Like 3
  • Haha 1