AP Top 25

TrashMaster G

2 hours ago, MrPhlegm said:

Jawja at 3? Bbbbbbwwwahahahah.

aggy at 12? Lulz.

Ps. It don't make a shit.

aggy had more quality sec losses than us last year and will again this year. current conversion rate: 3 quality sec losses = 1 bdf big 12 worthless conference aggy would totally win if it were in win.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Kirk has been there 20 years? Damn. 

He's got a good agent. He had some success, there was "talk" about NFL teams pursuing him, so Iowa signed him to a 10-year deal with a massive buyout. Then his teams went in the tank, hitting a low of 4-8 in 2012, but Iowa couldn't afford to fire him. He gave up recruiting in Florida. Then in 2015 he took advantage of a schedule where Iowa's cross-divisional opponents were Maryland and Indiana, and won the B1G West. (In his defense, he was undefeated in his division with wins at Wisconsin, at Northwestern, and at Nebraska.) So Iowa gave him another big contract extension. 

The terms of the new contract didn't hamstring the school like the old one did. But the standards were set pretty low. Kirk gets his annual raise as long as he wins seven games. But he's achieved that every year since, going 8-5, 8-5, and 9-4. He seems to have righted the ship for the most part, given their expectations. 

12. Texas A&M

13. Washington

14. Utah

15. Penn State

16. Auburn

17. UCF

18. Michigan State

19. Wisconsin

20. Iowa

21. Iowa State

22. Syracuse

23. Washington State

24. Nebraska

25. Stanford

teams better than A&M in bold

Then why aren't they all bolded?

UNI gives both of them fits and will beat one of them.

UNI only plays us this year and they’ve only given Iowa one close game over the years. I think the Big 10 has discontinued playing FCS schools.

They’ve beaten us 3 times since 2007 and it makes me physically ill thinking about it. 90% of UNI alum (including a stunning number of athletes) are Iowa fans, and they are the most bizarrely arrogant sports fans I’ve encountered in my life.
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Ghost of Stevie Ray said:

Florida absolutely bitch slapped Michigan in the bowl game and they still rank Michigan higher??  

Yup. Was gonna say this. 

Hilarious.

3 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

Is it a QB competition between Jones and Franks or is Franks expected to start?

Did you watch Franks last year? He started balling out big-time. I'm the last guy in the world to get behind Franks because I saw him in person suck under Mcelwain but man he's been much better under Dan Mullen. I think he's turned the corner after the bowl practices and a great bowl game. 

46 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

He's got a good agent. He had some success, there was "talk" about NFL teams pursuing him, so Iowa signed him to a 10-year deal with a massive buyout. Then his teams went in the tank, hitting a low of 4-8 in 2012, but Iowa couldn't afford to fire him. He gave up recruiting in Florida. Then in 2015 he took advantage of a schedule where Iowa's cross-divisional opponents were Maryland and Indiana, and won the B1G West. (In his defense, he was undefeated in his division with wins at Wisconsin, at Northwestern, and at Nebraska.) So Iowa gave him another big contract extension. 

The terms of the new contract didn't hamstring the school like the old one did. But the standards were set pretty low. Kirk gets his annual raise as long as he wins seven games. But he's achieved that every year since, going 8-5, 8-5, and 9-4. He seems to have righted the ship for the most part, given their expectations. 

in other words, iowa are aggy, without the FCS cushion.

advantage aggy.

12. Texas A&M

13. Washington

14. Utah

15. Penn State

16. Auburn

17. UCF

18. Michigan State

19. Wisconsin

20. Iowa

21. Iowa State

22. Syracuse

23. Washington State

24. Nebraska

25. Stanford

teams better than A&M in bold

Don't know what each team has coming back this year, but wouldn't have a problem putting State Penn, Sparty and even Wazzu above aggy..

4 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Kurt has Utah 5th. What a dumbass.

There's an argument to be made that if you assume the Pac, and especially the Pac South is going to be shitty, Utah could have a really special season just by being competent and well-coached and actually showing up for the Championship game this year.

5th best team? Lol no. Last one out of the Playoff kind of season? Very in play.

Edited by texifornia

5 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Never.  2005 was close, probably the closest it's been.

Hah, I remember that day very well, was the same day we played Ohio State in Columbus.  Watched it from Miani’s, the bar on High Street that whale cunt and co set up for the pregame....

35 minutes ago, Ignatius said:

Hah, I remember that day very well, was the same day we played Ohio State in Columbus.  Watched it from Miani’s, the bar on High Street that whale cunt and co set up for the pregame....

It was one of the most fun weekends of my college career.  I remember watching your game while getting ready to head back out to house parties and giving my Hawkeye buddies shit about the Big 12 owning the Big 10.  I'm not into taking credit for the rest of conference, but it was more salt to dump in the wound.

Why even have rankings. Seriously. It's clear that either some of these guys are full on regarded or they give their ballot to their kids and tell them just to do whatever with it and send it in. 

These polls don't make a shit. Just get rid of them.  

2 hours ago, texifornia said:

There's an argument to be made that if you assume the Pac, and especially the Pac South is going to be shitty, Utah could have a really special season just by being competent and well-coached and actually showing up for the Championship game this year.

5th best team? Lol no. Last one out of the Playoff kind of season? Very in play.

Nah. They’re not that good and they have Washington State and at Washington on the schedule. They’d need just about everything to go their way just to get to 10-2 and would probably still lose the PAC 12 title game.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, markstanco said:

Some guy named matt Baker with texas at #22. I guess tom snorted coke of his wife's tits.

Ok cool

Hook em!

23 minutes ago, pops said:

Why even have rankings. Seriously. It's clear that either some of these guys are full on regarded or they give their ballot to their kids and tell them just to do whatever with it and send it in. 

These polls don't make a shit. Just get rid of them.  

It's part of Disney Sports presents college football (tm) Doritos bowl national championship playoff series brought to you by Home Depot. It sells when you have #8 Florida playing Miami a week early, instead of just saying rivalry.. I guess..

My favorite is when they use the meaningless rankings for early season wins. Like well the SECSECSEC team lost to whoever BUT they were ranked 6 at the time... Even though they finish the season at 22 or whatever

55 minutes ago, Zavala said:

It's part of Disney Sports presents college football (tm) Doritos bowl national championship playoff series brought to you by Home Depot. It sells when you have #8 Florida playing Miami a week early, instead of just saying rivalry.. I guess..

While I generally agree, Wikipedia says they started the preseason AP poll in 1950, so this is a rich and historic sort of over-commercialization.

4 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I think the Big 10 has discontinued playing FCS schools.

The restriction on FCS scheduling now has a caveat. In years when Big Ten teams have four conference home games out of the nine-game schedule, they can put FCS teams on their schedule, commissioner Jim Delany told SB Nation during a press conference at the league’s media days Monday. It appears 11/14 B1G teams are not playing FCS this season.

It's sad that once again every SEC school is playing at least 1 FCS school. Of course it appears the ACC is completely bought in to the SEC scheduling model. Thank goodness for Texas, or the Big 12 would join them.

Edited by HtownHorn

8 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

UNI only plays us this year and they’ve only given Iowa one close game over the years. I think the Big 10 has discontinued playing FCS schools.

They’ve beaten us 3 times since 2007 and it makes me physically ill thinking about it. 90% of UNI alum (including a stunning number of athletes) are Iowa fans, and they are the most bizarrely arrogant sports fans I’ve encountered in my life.

I hate the UNI game for those reasons.  I'd rather Iowa State spend the $600,000 we pay them on another team to come to Ames.  The Clones are 22-5-3 vs UNI. It's basically an FCS rivalry game. 

Edited by Ace000087
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, deft said:

That would be Matt Baker.  His voting is the worst ballot on there.  Stuff a few more sec teams in there why don't ya Matt. 

"advanced metrics".  sounds like the drooltards in the basketball forum

https://www.tampabay.com/sports/gators/2019/08/15/matt-bakers-preseason-ap-top-25-florida-gators-in-top-10-ucf-cracks-the-list/

11 hours ago, Hagbard Celine said:

in other words, iowa are aggy, without the FCS cushion.

advantage aggy.

Iowa's so Aggy it would make your head spin.

When we had the USCish jerseys, they couldn't stop talking about it despite the fact Hayden Fry openly admitted he stole the Steelers unis for Iowa.  They also ripped off the Florida gator chomp, and the "O-H-I-O" chant.

All summer long, Iowa fans have swarmed to any Twitter praise of Iowa State to remind you that we historically suck or just post something to the effect of "the Clowns from Lames suck".  "Clowns" is to Hawk what "Sip" is to Aggy.  You would never guess they had the bigger fanbase, more resources, and greater historical cache based on their fan behavior.

17 hours ago, Loco said:

also Michigan?  Has Coach Sleepover ever even won a conference title?

Just in case anyone wasn’t sure, Michigan hasn’t won the big ten since 2004, three years before Lloyd Carr retired. They have not played in any of the 8 conference championship games. 

Penn State, Wisconsin, and Michigan State all have 3 conference championships since Michigan’s last. 

Edited by heso

26 minutes ago, heso said:

Just in case anyone wasn’t sure, Michigan hasn’t won the big ten since 2004, three years before Lloyd Carr retired. They have not played in any of the 8 conference championship games. 

Penn State, Wisconsin, and Michigan State all have 3 conference championships since Michigan’s last. 

khaki game strong tho

• immamac unfeatured and unpinned this topic