XFL: The sequel

MillerEP

It seemed we could hear more talking and on field noise than nfl game. Our ticket rep said there was a high demand in walk up ticket sales. There were some scalpers out front of stadium. Those that have kids and want to go watch football at a good price then this is it.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

I did find it kind of odd that reported attendance for all four games were nearly identical at around 17,500. What are the odds of that being so close across 4 locations? I'll be more interesting to see how large the ratings drop will be. AAF had big numbers but then were on all sorts of weird places. This league is supposed to stay on ABC, Fox, and ESPN, so will be more accessible. I for one will keep watching at least until an overtime game. I don't like the Dallas team so I have no real cheering interest for any particular team, just want to see if the product stays consistent.

Wouldn’t be surprised if houston actually surpassed reported numbers. They opened up the top deck at one point and I definitely saw some people up there. I was a little drunk by the time the fourth quarter got going, but it definitely seemed like a good crowd and everyone seemed to be having a good time. A beer vendor told me they’d never sold so much beer at the stadium. Pretty impressive for a half full or so stadium. 

5 hours ago, orange dream said:

- Never saw the much heralded "double forward pass" play.  Maybe I missed it, but was disappointed it didn't play a more prominent role.

I saw one guy pull up like he was about to attempt the 2nd pass, but then tucked it and ran.  Yeah, that, the extra point gutlessness, and lousy qb play were my biggest disappointments.

Salty

https://m.chron.com/sports/texans/article/UH-s-TDECU-Stadium-to-host-XFL-championship-game-15049032.php?utm_campaign=CMS+Sharing+Tools+(Mobile)

Championship game is being played in Houston. Easy trip for a Super X-Bowl.

Edit.

Dallas picked up Brogan Roback:

https://xflnewsroom.com/news/dallas-renegades-sign-brogan-roback/

Edited by MillerEP

The lack of qb talent after the nfl benches and practice squads is becoming quickly apparent. They might need to legit change the rules to favor offenses. Let wrs get a running start and push off. Maybe give the offense an extra lineman. The QBs would still miss a ton of open passes.

Edited by 'stache

On 2/10/2020 at 1:58 PM, Incredulity said:

Totally this.  

I think they would have been better off to have found a couple of no-name non-BCS division football coaches with innovative offenses then recycling some of the retreads they have.

I'd like to see an offense go 100% triple option.

• 2 weeks later...

They need to decide if they want to be #metoofutball or something different. I'm thinking Errbody Eligible, Pass Anywhere Anytime,  and No Incompletions.

Errbody Eligible speaks for itself.

Pass Anywhere Anytime says forward pass okay regardless of line of scrimmage, and multiple passes per play.

No Incompletions says the ball is live whether caught or not. 

Mmmmmaybe throw-ins on out of bounds, turn it over if player goes out on his own or throws it out.

Fewer officials, fewer stoppages.

• 3 weeks later...
Cancelled the season for the Wuhan Virus. Over/Under on whether it'll survive this or not.
Politically and rightly the correct thing to do.

But man, if no focks given they would rule all sports being the only game in town, literally.

I would think Vince would have played the games with no fans and restructure some type of tv deal being america wants sports.

On 3/12/2020 at 11:45 PM, Pato del Muerto said:

And Houston’s best chance at a football championship vaporizes like a fart in the wind. 

there was also the potential 1986 Houston Gamblers "Dream Team" with Jim Kelly and Herschel Walker and coached by Jack Pardee and owned by Donald Trump (I think they were going to be in Houston maybe in NJ).....but of course the league folded

Houston will always have the only Roller Ball Championship though with the greatness of Jonhthan E.

• 3 weeks later...

LOL, of course. It was fun for a few weeks then I just didn't care. The Renegades games were so boring and the sightlines looked like shit in the baseball field. There just aren't enough good QB's once you get past the NFL's backups. The P.J. dude from Houston will probably find a backup spot next year in the NFL, and that would probably be the norm for any QB that showed promise. There likely wouldn't be more than one or two at most every season. The rest of the league would continue to be painfully bad with poor QB play.

22 minutes ago, 'stache said:

LOL, of course. It was fun for a few weeks then I just didn't care. The Renegades games were so boring and the sightlines looked like shit in the baseball field. There just aren't enough good QB's once you get past the NFL's backups. The P.J. dude from Houston will probably find a backup spot next year in the NFL, and that would probably be the norm for any QB that showed promise. There likely wouldn't be more than one or two at most every season. The rest of the league would continue to be painfully bad with poor QB play.

Agree completely, but it was football in February. Hope it comes back. Doubt it, but hope springs eternal . . .

Instead of a whole season schedule they should think about trying it as a leftovers all stars tournament. Four to eight teams, single location, or two nearby, give them two warmup games to figure out their best lineups and scheme, then all participate in a playoff tournament. They could even have the survivors of the first round get to pick up a couple of players from the defeated teams, just to make it fun.

The city identification really doesn't work. Nobody is really all that invested in rooting for the laundry.

Edited by DougO

3 hours ago, The Marsellus Wallace said:

Agree completely, but it was football in February. Hope it comes back. Doubt it, but hope springs eternal . . .

This.  Fuck, at this point, I'd give my left arm for a Pop Warner scrimmage just to watch live sports.

I think we'll see a group from the AAC and XFL give it another run sooner rather than later.  The XFL has a decent excuse for folding and I wouldn't be surprised to see it back in some form within the next five years.

this sucks I was enjoying the games

I think this points to the concern that the NFL or NCAA are going to start their season late and carry over into the XFL season

they supposedly had the cash to run 2 or 3 seasons already set aside so they can't be losing massive amounts of money more than they planned for the first year so the concern must about year 2 being a loser as well

that would only happen if they were not able to play year 2 (if so the country is fucked), or the concern that NCAA and NFL are going to encroach on the XFL season

Doubtful. 

According to a prominent former XFL staffer who was on the call, Pollack stopped short of saying the league was going out of business. But the strong implication was clear. "It's done," the staffer said. "It's not coming back."

https://www.espn.com/xfl/story/_/id/29021347/xfl-suspends-operations-lays-employees-no-plans-return-2021

On 4/10/2020 at 4:23 PM, Herpa Derpa said:

This.  Fuck, at this point, I'd give my left arm for a Pop Warner scrimmage just to watch live sports.

I think we'll see a group from the AAC and XFL give it another run sooner rather than later.  The XFL has a decent excuse for folding and I wouldn't be surprised to see it back in some form within the next five years.

You could be right, but, I don't think Vince will give it a 3rd try...

EVal0soWoAIpaoY?format=jpg&name=small

The XFL's parent company filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy Monday, the first business day after the league suspended operations and laid off almost all of its employees.

The filing, officially made by Alpha Entertainment, listed the XFL with assets and liabilities each in the range of $10 million to $50 million. The largest creditor was listed as the St. Louis Sports Commission at $1.6 million. Seven of the league's eight coaches also are among the top creditors.

In a statement, the XFL attributed its decision to the coronavirus pandemic:

"The XFL quickly captured the hearts and imaginations of millions of people who love football. Unfortunately, as a new enterprise, we were not insulated from the harsh economic impacts and uncertainties caused by the COVID-19 crisis. Accordingly, we have filed a voluntary petition for relief under Chapter 11 of the U.S. Bankruptcy Code. This is a heartbreaking time for many, including our passionate fans, players and staff, and we are thankful to them, our television partners, and the many Americans who rallied to the XFL for the love of football."

Owner Vince McMahon, who is also chairman and CEO of the WWE, has not spoken publicly about the XFL's demise.

XFL chief operating officer Jeffrey Pollack held a conference call Friday with employees to announce the layoffs and suspension of operations. Although Pollack stopped short of saying the league is going out of business, staffers left the call convinced that the XFL will not return.

A source close to the bankruptcy filing said the league could be sold during the process.

McMahon announced the return of the XFL in January 2018, and the league spent two years in development before debuting in February. The eight-team league made it through five weeks of games before suspending and finally canceling its season because of the pandemic. It pledged as recently as three weeks ago to return in 2021, but that changed after McMahon began assessing the league's future following WrestleMania 36 on April 4-5.

The XFL paid its employees through April 12, plus accrued vacation time. The league also plans to refund all advance ticket sales.