XFL: The sequel

MillerEP

https://sports.yahoo.com/xfl-files-for-bankruptcy-after-suspending-operations-amid-coronavirus-pandemic-194135674.html

Among the top creditors with the largest unsecured claims from the league are Bob Stoops, the longtime University of Oklahoma coach who was the head coach and general manager of the Dallas Renegades,

Stoops has the third-largest unsecured claim at $1.08 million.

in other news dick futures on the CBOT are down 75%

@ProFootballTalk
In 2018, Vince McMahon said that XFL 2.0 would be "strictly funded" by him, with no WWE involvement; the XFL bankruptcy filing shows that the WWE owns 23.5 percent of the Class B stock
I read somewhere yesterday that they paid zero dollars for the stock, so they paid nothing and ended up with nothing.

• 1 month later...
[url=]http://Vince McMahon could be trying to buy the XFL - ProFootballTalk[/url]
So you’re saying there’s a chance!!   The league ratings and attendance were good so I could see it turning a profit eventually. 
I hope so. Son and i had alot of fun going to games.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Guest Lobo

There's this other guy out there that used to work with Vince McMahon that had a huge stake in a wildly unsuccessful NFL-competitor.  I wonder if those two fucksticks can't get together and make some other wildly idiot shitshow that loses tens of billions.  I'm of course talking about David Dixon.  Who managed to surround himself with incredibly talented football players and some of the most morally bankrupt and idiotic businessmen that the world has ever seen.  

Vince says nope. 

XFL owner Vince McMahon said Tuesday in bankruptcy court that he will not attempt to buy back the league.

In a court filing, McMahon called accusations that he was secretly maneuvering to use Chapter 11 as an avenue to cheaply retain the XFL "inflammatory" and "unsubstantiated."

The XFL filed for bankruptcy on April 13 in Delaware district court, three days after laying off nearly its entire staff, citing the unforeseen impact of the coronavirus pandemic.

McMahon then put the league up for sale, but the court's committee of unsecured creditors claimed last week that McMahon had set up a "fire sale" bidding process that would rig the process in a way that would allow him to buy back the XFL without repaying its debts.

In a deposition footnoted in Tuesday's filing, McMahon said he had reserved his legal right to be a bidder in the original bankruptcy claim. He said he did that because "I think I was trying to make up my mind." The committee's filing last week pushed him to decide against a bid, he said.

"I don't know why that's out there, making me out to be the bad guy, [that] I'm going to buy the XFL back for pennies on the dollar, basically," McMahon said in the deposition. "That helped me move into the direction of, 'I'm not going to be a bidder, not going to have anything to do with it.' I do hope that someone will pay a lot of money for it, and I do hope that it will survive."

In the filing, McMahon's attorneys wrote that McMahon put in "at least" $200 million of his own money into the XFL.

"Accordingly, all that the committee has managed to do," the attorneys wrote, "... is to chase away a potentially significant bidder for the debtor's assets."

The XFL has hired the Houlihan Lokey brokerage firm to handle the sale. Houlihan Lokey managing director William H. Hardie III said in a filing Tuesday that 20 potential purchasers have signed non-disclosure agreements to gain access to confidential company data. An additional six potential purchasers are in the process of signing similar agreements, according to the filing.

"Based on preliminary feedback," Hardie wrote, "I believe there is a robust market for the Debtor's assets, including a number of potentially interested private equity firms and other financial sponsors."

According to the original schedule it established, letters of intent are due June 12. Final bids are due July 6, subject to approval by the bankruptcy court, in hopes of putting potential new owners in position to get the XFL back on the field in spring 2021 if desired.

• 2 months later...
52 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Hate to see The Rock fail like this. Because it will fail. Like all attempts at minor league football in the history of ever.

TBH but for COVID, I think XFL would have made it a few more seasons. The viewership was there and they were filling up stadiums pretty good

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

So a merger with american teams playing against Canadian teams? Will Canadian field size and rules apply? Will rules change based on home field? That might be interesting. The American teams have to learn Canadian rules and play their game and vice versa. It's all minor league football so who cares if its weird.

CFL Plays June-Nov, so maybe they'll meet somewhere in the middle?

I could see a promising merger, if they keep it regional for the most part like the AFC/NFC. Except USA/CAN, and they play a title championship game each year like a Superbowl. Adapt the CFL rules to be more like XFL/NFL, and I can see a cool North American League come out of it.

I'm one of those weird guys who sometimes follows the British American Football league (Go Kent Exiles and Sussex Thunder), and they've already merged combines with the CFL, so this could end up being more international than the NFL.

Edited by MillerEP

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...
37 minutes ago, Longboard Horn said:

XFL needs to merge with the NFL. Be the true minor and development league for players who don't go to college and wanna play right away, don't get drafted or bust. However, there should be a rule that you must play in the XFL for 3 full seasons before declaring for the draft. 

You dont want to see an 18 year old slot WR running a slant and getting hit by a Ronnie Lott or John Lynch type of player? 

2 hours ago, Longboard Horn said:

XFL needs to merge with the NFL. Be the true minor and development league for players who don't go to college and wanna play right away, don't get drafted or bust. However, there should be a rule that you must play in the XFL for 3 full seasons before declaring for the draft. 

Now that NIL exists, college football is the official minor league.

3 hours ago, Longboard Horn said:

I'm sure the XFL would love to merge with the NFL, but they would probably get as much for their efforts as the USFL in court settlements ($1). All of these secondary football leagues will fail, everyone knows they will fail, but for whatever reason people keep throwing money at them. The NFL has a minor league system in place they just dont have to pay for it. If college football ever ceases to meet their needs, they can consider their own minor leagues, but lulz at the thought of NFL owners currently giving up one cent of revenue to the XFL or whatever other shit league is out there at the time. Those leagues add nothing that the NFL couldnt do on its own. 

11 minutes ago, Blotto said:

If college football ever ceases to meet their needs, they can consider their own minor leagues, but lulz at the thought of NFL owners currently giving up one cent of revenue to the XFL or whatever other shit league is out there at the time. Those leagues add nothing that the NFL couldnt do on its own. 

i think there is absolutely a place for a developmental league for the NFL - lots of guys floating around on the outside of the roster who need to play SOMEWHERE. doubt the XFL is the answer, but then again i really thought the AAF was the perfect league for that and the NFL had little interest

10 minutes ago, NoName said:

i think there is absolutely a place for a developmental league for the NFL - lots of guys floating around on the outside of the roster who need to play SOMEWHERE. doubt the XFL is the answer, but then again i really thought the AAF was the perfect league for that and the NFL had little interest

I have no doubt there are thousands of ex pro, college and juco players looking for a league to play in, as I'm sure they would prefer to say "I'm a pro football player" rather than "I work at Jiffy Lube". I'm just not sure there is an audience that cares to watch it. If you want to these leagues to be successful you HAVE to get eyeballs watching on TV. There may be a small subset of the population that needs football 365 days a year, but I doubt there's enough to make a profit. I watch more sports than the average person, and I cant even bring myself to give a shit about these leagues when they pop up.

I think the reason the NFL had no interest in the AAF is because they probably have a better understanding of the market demographics of football viewership than anyone. Considering all of their efforts to grow revenue are focused on international markets rather than expanding within the US, it leads me to believe they feel the US market is probably saturated right now. The AAF was a financial trainwreck and couldnt meet payroll for a 10 week season. NFL owners are nothing if not greedy, and they sure as fuck arent going to volunteer to lose a lot of money on a minor league system when there are 100 plus colleges and universities willing to take that risk for them. 

• Hook 'Em 1

IF there’s any merger it would be between the XFL and USFL that’s starting this Spring. With the USFL starting a year ahead of the XFL, I don’t see how the XFL could succeed separately if the USFL can survive to 2023. It’s questionable whether one spring football league will work. I don’t see any way two could coexist.

5 minutes ago, Blotto said:

I have no doubt there are thousands of ex pro, college and juco players looking for a league to play in, as I'm sure they would prefer to say "I'm a pro football player" rather than "I work at Jiffy Lube". I'm just not sure there is an audience that cares to watch it. If you want to these leagues to be successful you HAVE to get eyeballs watching on TV. There may be a small subset of the population that needs football 365 days a year, but I doubt there's enough to make a profit. I watch more sports than the average person, and I cant even bring myself to give a shit about these leagues when they pop up.

I think the reason the NFL had no interest in the AAF is because they probably have a better understanding of the market demographics of football viewership than anyone. Considering all of their efforts to grow revenue are focused on international markets rather than expanding within the US, it leads me to believe they feel the US market is probably saturated right now. The AAF was a financial trainwreck and couldnt meet payroll for a 10 week season. NFL owners are nothing if not greedy, and they sure as fuck arent going to volunteer to lose a lot of money on a minor league system when there are 100 plus colleges and universities willing to take that risk for them. 

i think the only thing the NFL has to do it allow teams to send some practice squad players there? not share revenue - which is a non starter.

one of the things that hurt the AAF was that some of the facilities were shit and they put teams in sub-optimal locations in my opinion. San Antonio and Birmingham were great locations, as was San Diego all things considered. but SLC? Tempe? come on man.

image.png.5560b59d94346df294b21a0ca75ed3c6.png

San Antonio did really well by avg attendance and on TV. Orlando and San Diego did also. If they could have held on past the 1 season mark I think they could have been ok.

image.png.fd75ba04814dd63eee78a81659fa91c5.png

18 minutes ago, Longboard Horn said:

But you still have to go to class. Like Cardale Jones(and many more guys I'm sure) said, "we came here to play football. We ain't come to play school..."

Don’t European soccer clubs all have youth academies as a farm system?

I believe, at least in the 1st world countries, that those kids are required to attend schooling while getting paid / attending said football academy.

Maybe we need to start thinking of college football as kind of an independent American football academy system that requires an education component.

Reframe your mind / reframe your reality maaaaaannnnnnnn.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1